What to do before exterminator comes

(5 posts)
  1. RPG

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Apr 26 2009 11:21:04
    #

Login to Send PM

So apparently it could be a couple weeks before I get an exterminator to finally come to my apartment. I'm nervous because I know that I have to sleep in my own bed until the exterminator comes to avoid risk of spreading it to other areas. I'm trying to do all that I can on my own before the exterminator gets here to avoid being bitten. I'm pretty much forced to go an entire week before the exterminator gets to my apartment.

My room is very small (about 13x7) and I have a full sized bed. Below is a list of things that I have done already on my own:

-Threw out all of my bedding (except for mattress and boxspring). I now know that this was probably not a wise decision but it's already done. There was evidence of bed bugs on my cover sheet (little blood spots.. not to mention I have tons of bites).

-Inspected my mattress and box spring, did not find evidence of bed bugs but vacuumed it all anyway.

-Put all of my clothing in plastic bags, washed it all, dried it all for 2hours per load, put them in new plastic bags.

-Vacuumed the carpet.

-Walked around my room with a caulk gun, caulking all of the little holes I could find where the wall meets the floor (and in the molding).

-Purchased the recommended bed bug proof encasements on this website for both my mattress and my box spring (have not opened them yet though).

-Moved my bed away from the wall and applied heavy-duty double-sided tape underneath all of the legs of my bed.

Other than the things I have listed is there anything else that I've missed? I should probably wait for the PCO to come before I use the bed bug proof mattress and box-spring encasements, correct? Also - I am worried because I have a wooden bed frame (head and foot board). From what I've read, the wooden frames are the worst kind of frames. I'm not sure what to do about them to prevent or lower my chances of getting bitten at night before the exterminator gets here. Any suggestions and/or reassurance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. parakeets

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Apr 26 2009 14:51:40
    #

Login to Send PM

You are doing some good things and waiting must be difficult. I think you're right in not putting the encasements on yet--the bedbugs might hopefully be in an easy-to-find spot right now and you don't want to relocate them to a place where they are harder to find. You might want to go around your room and check for any clutter or things you can just toss easily. Bedbugs will hide in anything near the bed and due to the size of your room, everything is near the bed.

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Apr 26 2009 15:09:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Do you know if they are coming to treat (as in, they already have confirmation of bed bugs)?

In most cases, they need to confirm their presence first. Unfortunately, this means retaining obvious signs. Some will not treat you with just bites as evidence (and rightly so, since apparent bites can be something else). As awful as it is, I would warn against cleaning too aggressively. If you must "get rid of things", I would simply place them in airtight sealed bags and save them for potential inspection.

I would not move anything, though, since as 'Keets notes, you may move bed bugs around your home.

That said, I think it's terrible they are not coming to even inspect for weeks. if they want to see evidence, they should come right away.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. BugsInTO

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Apr 26 2009 15:50:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Make sure to put everything in writing with your landlord. Keep a log of the events of the infestation. During our treatments, I thought each date & time would stick in my mind and I wouldn't have any trouble remembering, but I was wrong.

I don't understand why you have to wait a couple of weeks either before the PCO comes. Sounds like they must be very busy indeed. Or, they have scheduled for their next "routine" monthly visit, which would not be good thing.

Maybe write a letter and deliver it to your landlord confirming the day you brought the infestation to their attention, and when they have committed to have your unit treated. I am not a lawyer, so you have to decide for yourself, but it would be very disappointing if the PCO didn't come when scheduled. If that happened, you might want to have paper trail. In the letter, you could also make polite comments about how you think the treatment should be done sooner and that you are prepared to cooperate fully (so they can't later say that there was some issue with you not permitting it to be done sooner etc.) and also point out that the time period between the report and the treatment will allow the infestation to spread, something you can do nothing about and, therefore, will be completely their responsibility etc.

Also ask in writing to be given the preparation instructions in advance.

Good luck.

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Apr 26 2009 17:38:57
    #

Login to Send PM

BugsinTO gives good advice...

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

200,083 posts in 31,013 topics over 94 months by 13,442 of 20,848 members. Latest: midnightfeast, senses123, So Mad