Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug science, "experiments," etc.

What surfaces bed bugs can not clim?

(20 posts)
  1. Ross123

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Dec 29 2010 19:39:00
    #

Login to Send PM

If we bring new bed with legs, put the bed legs in plastic like cut water bottles or yogurt containers, then will bed bugs be able to climb through smooth surfaces to access the bed?

Ross

2. Ross123

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Dec 30 2010 2:05:15
    #

Login to Send PM

After a Google search I found opposing opinions about bed bugs' ability to climb plastic. Some people say they have witness bed bugs not able to climb smooth plastic like yogurt containers while others say they can climb everything.
    Then what about a substance in the plastic containers that they can't pass (swim) through. Preferably something that can also kill them.
    I'm thinking of a plan to kill them when they attempt to climb through the legs of my bed to reach me. How about putting the legs of a new bed in plastic containers and making the surface rough outside the container so they can easily climb to the edge but the inside surface of the container will remain very smooth so that they will easily fall into a killing liquid?

I will greatly appreciate your input.
    Ross

3. CimexH8er

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Dec 30 2010 2:18:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok, Ross123....As you're a fellow newbite (new person w bbs)....I can probably tell you what the "veterans" on this site will tell you....please READ and double/triple READ the FAQs about bbs on this site and also read the Resource section. Those will probably answer about 90-99% of your questions. Do some due diligence and do some homework before you post on these forums. There are already such "devices" to trap the bbs called Climb Up Interceptors or BB Alerts. I don't think you'll need to do any more Google searches as this website is pretty comprehensive with good science behind it. Also there are some very knowledgable PCOs and entomologists that often view these forums. It's like going to school....read up on the issue on this website and get an A in bb knowledge first, before you ask the vets for their help. I'm sure the vets are sick and tired of answering the same dumb questions that us newbites ask over and over again out of our sheer terror and paranoia.

Have you EVEN had a positive ID of a bb? Live specimens, seen any fecal stains, white larvae, etc? One can NOT diagnose bbs with just having itchy skin or "bite" of somesort. They can be fleas, carpet beetles, dust mites, bat beetles, etc. I was very paranoid when I joined this site, but thru out reading my homework and doing my homework assignments, I'm more knowledgable now than ever.

I'd also recommend to call a PCO right away if you have a specimen or post pics on this site so that positive ID can be more conclusive. DIY methods take a million years....believe me, I know.

4. Ross123

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Dec 30 2010 3:28:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for the reply CimexH8er,

I started reading the FAQ, but it is too long and I may have skipped the parts with the answers I'm looking for. I will read them again more carefully. And on top of all it is late night here and I made an attempt to sleep but couldn't and after seeing your reply I decided to write this message.

To answer your questions - I'll tell my story. I live with my wife and daughter in a rented apartment building. A few months ago we received a letter that a tenant had reported bed bugs infestation after buying a used sofa. They didn't tell us which apartment in the building. It is a 4 story building with 30 apartments. Initially we didn't pay much attention to this as we were ignorant to the severity of this problem. At one point I was bitten from something. I had just one pimple on the side of my waist that looked like and felt itchy exactly like a mosquito bite. Then a few days later I got another one on my lower leg and a third one again a few days later on my hip. I thought it was a mosquito but it was strange because we've lived many years in this building and never had mosquitoes before especially in that time of year - late fall in the cold Canadian weather. Then for about a month no bites at all and two weeks ago my daughter and wife had started to notice similar bites multiple times but they had more than one bite per night (we all sleep in different beds but my wife and daughter often changed theirs) Then, my daughter received multiple bites and I one bite in the same night, and this was the last time we were bitten - about 2 weeks ago. At that point we started to believe it is the bed bugs and searched the web for info . The only thing that doesn't look like typical bed bugs bites is that mine were single bites - just one pimple per night and my daughter and wife although had multiple bites per night they ware on average about 2-3 per night (one night my daughter had may be 5) however the bites were not in the pattern shown on most bed bugs bites pictures. Ours were on very different parts on the body far from each other without the typical row or any pattern. We haven't seen any bugs or traces of them after very close inspection and vacuuming parts of the apartment including the mattresses. We had to leave for one week Christmas vacation and we are now back. Since we are renting we plan to move out of this building. We don't believe the bugs in this building can be eliminated easily without a total evacuation. We are mostly interested how to protect ourselves from bites until we find a new place. And we are also interested how to prevent spreading bed bugs to others and also how to make sure we don't carry bed bugs to the new place.

I will greatly appreciate any advice.
    Ross

5. so unsettling

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Dec 30 2010 3:39:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Ross--what you describe there is some of the thinking behind the "climbup interceptors" advertized to the right. These are worth buying--ready made and much easier than designing your own from yogurt containers! They are a detection device, rather than a means for destroying an infestation. They will help tell you if bed bugs are present.

And while we all should be reading the fax and resource pages, etc, it takes a long time to get through and absorb that material. The links are endless. I have been reading it 3 months and still don't have it all down. In the meanwhile, feel free to post any question you want. No one has to pass a course here before asking questions, and someone will answer you. This is a message board, not a test-prep, and similar questions are always asked over and over at this type of blog.

6. Ross123

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Dec 30 2010 4:17:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you unsettling,

I will try to get those interceptors as fast as I can but now it is 3 a.m. here and until I get them I'm using yogurt containers and a few minutes ago I put some water in them as I just found out that bed bugs can't swim. I hope that will make it more difficult to pass that. I wonder what would be more efficient than pure water that I might have in the apartment. I have bleach, some kitchen and bathroom cleaning sprays, rubbing alcohol, lemon, salt, olive oil, even RAID spry can claiming to kill bed bugs on contact. Not sure which one to add in the containers. It is a temporary solution - I hope to find and get the interceptors tomorrow.

7. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Dec 30 2010 5:38:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Ross123

The yogurt containers will be sufficient to isolate you bed legs... you don't need to add anything... mineral oil is cheap, safe and available at any drug store... if you want a low toxicity liquid that will kill trapped bugs.

Bed bugs can climb on some plastics and most textured surfaces... they cannot scale clean glass, smooth metal or smooth slick plastic.

I have placed bed bugs in a clean yogurt container and they were unable to climb out.

Bed bugs can climb out of a Ziplock storage container with ease or on some painted metal surfaces that may appear smooth, but have a slight texture.

They can climb the silicone sealant in the corners of an aquarium or frosted glass... but can't escape a smooth metal bowl.

Do not use Raid, cleaning sprays or bleach... (Do not combine bleach with the cleaning products)

The olive oil or water with a little dish soap are the safest items on your list.

There are differing views on the value of isolation... Read up on the pro & cons of isolation when you have more time.

8. Ross123

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Dec 30 2010 11:38:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you DougSummersMS, that was very useful information, very much appreciated.

9. jjakk

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Dec 30 2010 22:39:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Ross123 if you have a 'Bed, Bath & Beyond' store near you they will probably have the 'Climb Up Interceptors' in stock and you won't have to wait to mail order them. I found them in the store in the section where the 'steamers' are. They are 'dusted' with talc powder so they cant climb out.

10. Ross123

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Dec 31 2010 9:33:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you jjakk, following your advice I got them from my local Bed, Bath & Beyond.

11. jjakk

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Dec 31 2010 10:53:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Your welcome Ross, glad I was able to help and you don't have to wait for a mail order. Having them gives you some peace of mind and will help determine if they are climbing up onto the bed or if they are hiding somewhere in the bed or frame.

12. Richard56

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Dec 31 2010 11:02:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Cimex: Ok, Ross123....As you're a fellow newbite (new person w bbs)....I can probably tell you what the "veterans" on this site will tell you....Also there are some very knowledgable PCOs and entomologists that often view these forums. It's like going to school....read up on the issue on this website and get an A in bb knowledge first, before you ask the vets for their help. I'm sure the vets are sick and tired of answering the same dumb questions that us newbites ask over and over again out of our sheer terror and paranoia.
    -----------
    I guess you are a "newbite" because the way a "veteran" would answer this question is best exemplified by Doug Summer's informative and thoughtful answer. Since when are you setting rules here with three whole days on the job.

Richard

13. MsJ

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Dec 31 2010 17:58:14
    #

Login to Send PM

DougSummersMS - 1 day ago  » 
    Ross123
    The yogurt containers will be sufficient to isolate you bed legs... you don't need to add anything... mineral oil is cheap, safe and available at any drug store... if you want a low toxicity liquid that will kill trapped bugs.
    Bed bugs can climb on some plastics and most textured surfaces... they cannot scale clean glass, smooth metal or smooth slick plastic.
    I have placed bed bugs in a clean yogurt container and they were unable to climb out.
    Bed bugs can climb out of a Ziplock storage container with ease or on some painted metal surfaces that may appear smooth, but have a slight texture.
    They can climb the silicone sealant in the corners of an aquarium or frosted glass... but can't escape a smooth metal bowl.
    Do not use Raid, cleaning sprays or bleach... (Do not combine bleach with the cleaning products)
    The olive oil or water with a little dish soap are the safest items on your list.
    There are differing views on the value of isolation... Read up on the pro & cons of isolation when you have more time.

This is very interesting, thank you. I found what looked like to be a dead nymph in a stainless steel bowl in the kitchen cupboard, but I'll never know for sure as my husband squished it to see if there was blood. There was a bit. But bug now impossible to identify.

14. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Dec 31 2010 18:09:40
    #

Login to Send PM

MsJ - 8 minutes ago  » 

This is very interesting, thank you. I found what looked like to be a dead nymph in a stainless steel bowl in the kitchen cupboard, but I'll never know for sure as my husband squished it to see if there was blood. There was a bit. But bug now impossible to identify.

If the antennae or a few other structures are still intact BBs can be ruled out.

You would be surprised what little it can take.

Jim

15. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Dec 31 2010 19:02:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Please go to youtube.com and search for some movies I've uploaded. Search for lougentpix and click on the bed bugs crawling on artist's paintbrushes and metal forceps.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult in all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology.
  16. CimexH8er

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Dec 31 2010 19:56:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Uh oh...looks like I've pissed off some folks on this forum. Many apologies due to my quick typing, I type faster than I can actually think sometimes. I did not mean to be a veteran on the bb subject matter or to have a holier than thou tone to my previous postings. It is with deep and sincere apologies that I type this. I merely was stating that this website is highly comprehensive and can answer most of the questions that most new bites have instead of googling multiple pages, using wikipedia, using other search engines, etc. This is a one stop shop, so to speak in anything bb related (bites, PCOS, pesticide used, DIY, etc). Plus, I know some PCOS and entos read this site, thus it's better to get first person advice/accounts of events rather than gleaning info off the numerous websites that you might find. One can't always trust everything you read on the internet. Again, I apologize for my erratic tones in my postings. I'm also very frustrated and scared as well. Sorry! Hope 2011 will be a better year to not be infested.

Sincerely,
    CH8er

17. Richard56

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Dec 31 2010 21:18:04
    #

Login to Send PM

I type faster than I can actually think sometimes.
    ------------
    I think many of us can relate to that, and especially when bed bugs are on the mind.

Here's also to a better year on the horizon!

Richard

18. MsJ

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Dec 31 2010 21:59:17
    #

Login to Send PM

spideyjg - 3 hours ago  » 

MsJ - 8 minutes ago  » 

If the antennae or a few other structures are still intact BBs can be ruled out.
    You would be surprised what little it can take.
    Jim

Jim,

Now completely unrecognisable. It would have been a 2nd instar nymph if definitely a bedbug but I am now second-guessing myself. I am so pissed off with my husband.

19. MsJ

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Dec 31 2010 22:01:53
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 2 hours ago  » 
    Please go to youtube.com and search for some movies I've uploaded. Search for lougentpix and click on the bed bugs crawling on artist's paintbrushes and metal forceps.

Lou,

Great resources.

Ms J.

20. Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Mar 24 2011 7:24:09
    #

Login to Send PM

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.