Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

What precautions to take when going in an infested house?

(8 posts)
  1. studiopeg1

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Sep 24 2012 21:11:17
    #

Login to Send PM

So Thursday I have to go in my elderly parents' house and help move all the flammable things out of the house in preparation for the heat treatment.

I had a severe panic attack today over the bed bugs and I wake up in a cold sweat every night with nightmares. Today I was crying on and off all day, so obviously this has had a big psychological effect on me.

What precautions can you recommend I take when over their house moving the stuff? Should I bring an extra set of clothes and change into them when I leave, leaving the first set of clothes behind? I'm so tired I can't even think. All suggestions greatly appreciated, thanks everyone.

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Sep 24 2012 22:39:23
    #

Login to Send PM

We have applicable FAQs in the travel section:
    http://bedbugger.com/FAQs/travel

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. studiopeg1

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Sep 25 2012 7:21:20
    #

Login to Send PM

thanks

4. MyWorstFear

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Sep 25 2012 14:02:46
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm glad you are moving that flammable stuff out of the house. You will get thru this Studiopeg! I was a basket case too, but you will survive this and you can always come here and get help. This site is the best and the people on it are terrific.

5. studiopeg1

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Sep 25 2012 19:56:06
    #

Login to Send PM

MyWorstFear - 5 hours ago  » 
    I'm glad you are moving that flammable stuff out of the house. You will get thru this Studiopeg! I was a basket case too, but you will survive this and you can always come here and get help. This site is the best and the people on it are terrific.

You've already been a great help with all your responses, thank you.

Just for peace of mind, after this is all over I am going to have the K9 dog come to my house to make sure it doesn't alert to anything here. I sat on their couch numerous times before we knew about the bugs. Got a prescription for Valium - took one last night and no nightmares.

I gotta say, I do not have any enemies in life nor anyone I hate - but if I did, I would never ever wish this on them.

6. studiopeg1

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Sep 25 2012 19:59:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Also, my mom has a lot of very old valuable coins and paper money in the house. She will not leave them in the house during the heat treatment, doesn't want them stolen. Tomorrow I am going to put all of it in ziploc bags and leave the boxes they were in behind.

But of course I will be afraid to open those bags. So I read today that 3 months in the freezer will kill eggs and bed bugs. So I figure I will leave the coins and money in my freezer until January.

Unless someone has a better idea? I do have a Shark steamer but I doubt that gets to the 200 degrees needed to steam the bugs and eggs.

7. MyWorstFear

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Sep 25 2012 21:20:02
    #

Login to Send PM

IIRC someone in the forum once put bed bugs in the freezer and when they "defrosted" the monsters were still alive! There's something called pest strips that might be more of a sure thing. (For some reason I can't find the search function, but if you do, search for pest strips and it'll be something like DDVP or something similar). You can put them in a heavy plastic bag with the coins and money and leave it like 2 weeks or so (preferably in a garage, just in case some fumes come out, you don't want to breathe it in). I think it kills eggs too, but I am not sure as I've never used it.

8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Sep 25 2012 22:51:30
    #

Login to Send PM

You can ask p bello for tips on using DDVP. They sell Nuvan strips at DoMyOwnPestControl (there's a link in the Useful Stuff page). Definitely do your research and follow label instructions carefully if you use DDVP.

Also, be sure and read our FAQ on canines before you hire one!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.