What kind of vacuum cleaner can I use?

(10 posts)
  1. lizmat

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Aug 2 2008 23:47:10
    #

Login to Send PM

My mother just finished with her first(probably only) bedbug extermination. We were told by the exterminator to by a Hepa Filter Vacuum Cleaner and to change the bags frequently when vacuuming after 3 days. I went out and bought a Dirt Devil Bagless Upright Vac. I would like to know if this vacuum cleaner is good enough to use for bedbugs? Thanx.

2. barelyliving

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Aug 2 2008 23:53:35
    #

Login to Send PM

I think they recommend a bagged vacuum so that you can ziploc the bag and throw it away to get rid of the monsters.

3. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Aug 3 2008 15:15:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Bagless vacuums are useable in the battle on bed bugs; however, since bed bugs can survive a trip down the vacuum cleaner and into the place where the stuff the vacuum picks up, with bagged vacuums, people suggest regularly disposing of the bags in sealed ziplocks so as to prevent any bugs that get sucked up and lived from crawling out and getting back into your house.

You obviously can't do that with a bagless vacuum.

The following thread discusses how to use a bagless vacuum in the fight against bed bugs:

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/how-do-i-treat-bagless-vacuums

4. lizmat

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Aug 3 2008 18:28:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanx a bunch for all the input. Decided to return the vac to Target(without a receipt). Maybe someone will sympathize with my puppy face(I hope so!). Will try to get a canister vac as I do not want to see those bugs being sucked into a bagless.

5. kjdrga

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Aug 4 2008 12:19:31
    #

Login to Send PM

I have a bagless canister vaccum that has been doing a fine job. I use the knee high sock to help control any bb's that want to get into the canister. Because there is DE in the room I am vaccuming I'm fairly conifent what ever bugs are stuck in the canister with the dust will be killed. I do put the knee high in a ziplock then empty the rest of the vaccum in a trash bag and double seal it. I try to time my vaccuming around when trash pick up is to avoid having it sit out too long.

6. mrsmaglite

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Aug 4 2008 15:22:51
    #

Login to Send PM

When I empty my bagless cleaner I put the dust/dirt straight into a ziploc bag and seal it up. Surely that's as good as throwing out a vacuum bag? Hope so!

7. belle72

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Aug 4 2008 20:52:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Same here but we do clean the inside of the clear canister once a wk or so. Dh blows it out w/ air compressor and then I wipe w/ alcohol and let air dry. We hope we're doing it right. Note to add, we have not seen a live bug since before the first treatment, mid-June. I got a bite a wk ago so I know there's a straggler, hope not many. I worry a lot, Dh is concerned but more patient than I, saying we have to do what we can and take it step by step.

8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Aug 4 2008 22:03:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Experts seem to recommend sealing and disposing of a vacuum cleaner bag immediately (not after three days) because bed bugs (if vacuumed up) can remain in the bag, and then crawl out when you put the machine away.

Since that is a concern, I would not keep the vacuum bag after use.

Most people seem to recommend bagged vacuums. But it is probably okay to seal the contents of a bagless canister into a ziploc and dispose of it IF you also wash the canister at the same time. You could flush any washing water.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  9. mrsmaglite

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Aug 5 2008 10:02:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, that's exactly what I do - empty into a ziploc, pour boiling water into the canister and flush, then store the filtered end of the canister in another larger ziploc until I need to use it again. It's not a cheap exercise getting rid of these bugs if you do/buy all that is recommended and my vacuum was all of 2 months old, so at least this way I didn't have to buy a new one.

10. kjdrga

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Aug 5 2008 14:55:12
    #

Login to Send PM

GEE I never thought about flushing....I've been using the garden hose and rinsing everything outside then placing the items in the sun to dry....I do rub down the vaccume with alcohol though....

I haven't seen any signs of them in the lower part of the house...but I'll change my pratice right away!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.