Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

What kind of roach belongs to this egg sack?

(7 posts)
  1. futureBBmom

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Jan 16 2012 23:52:27
    #

Login to Send PM

I know I had a visitor because this egg sack was left in my bathtub. The photo turned out having a bluish tint but the egg sack is kind of brownish red. I'm pretty sure it belongs to a roach but I'm not sure which kind. Oriental or American? I've never had roaches before. I didn't even know I had them now until I found this. I've never seen one. So I just need to know what kind of roach I'm going to be battling so I can figure out what to do about it. (Normally finding evidence of roaches would have sent me into a panic. But actually this is nothing, because I'm just happy it's not a darn bedbug!)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/69346391@N05/6712260059/in/set-72157628905753999/

2. blargg

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Jan 17 2012 0:31:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Probably not german, as they're lighter in color and usually not left out to hatch. That's good news for you. Guessing oriental/american. You noticed any black/brown roaches around? They can get pretty big, but believe me, better than having german roaches. I would destroy that thing before those puppies hatch, btw.

3. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Jan 17 2012 1:16:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Definitely NOT a German cockroach egg case.

Could be a smoky brown or American but I don't see the characteristic ridge along the top side. However, it's probably a peridomestic type cockroach. Sorry, but I'm too lazy at this hour to check one of my books.

Where do you live in the country as this would help?

paul b.

As a consulting entomologist I provide services for entities such as property managers, health/housing/emergency depts, schools, hospitality/resort/cruise industry, homeowners, food service, retail, pest professionals & product manufacturers. I recommend only efficacious methodologies, products and equipment. Professional relations have included Actisol, AMVAC, Atrix, BASF, Bayer, Catchmaster, FMC, GMT, Eaton, MattressSafe, Nisus, ProTeam, Rockwell, Syngenta & Woodstream. No compensation for product sales occurs. As inventor of Knight Safe bed bug sleep tent provides a royalty.
  4. futureBBmom

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Jan 17 2012 2:01:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks guys!

blargg, I got rid of that thing immediately! I was scared to even take time to snap 1 photo, afraid that thing would pop open on me! The only thing I've ever seen was about a month ago, a dead black bug that maybe could have been a roach, in the basement. They get big? How wonderful!

Paul, that's ok, as long as it's not german then I'm relieved and maybe I can treat it myself. I figured if it was german then I wouldn't even try it on my own. What's the best thing to get at the store for roaches, bait/traps? I avoid spray if I can, we have too many pets. (btw, I'm in NE.) .....Hahaha I was expecting you to mess with me and say 'bedbug related' just to see me squirm.

5. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Jan 17 2012 23:44:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Let's see what the PCOs say, but here was my experience when the pests were in food areas and we couldn't spray much...I think the PCOs use different methods and look for fecal etc. to identify where they are at.

When I managed properties years ago, our PCO always told us the best line of defense was to keep water and food to a minimum...with pets that means sealed containers and not leaving food out. I found that the dogs learned VERY quickly to eat it all when I put it out. I think with cats it is different, but it really helps keep various pests down. It was a tedious couple of months with wiping up the floors, kitchen etc for about an hour every night and then picking up water bowls etc for the night. I don't how much good the cleaning did, but whatever they sprayed worked eventually and he said the cleaning was essential to getting them to move into the poison to look for food and water (to the PCOs, really?).

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  6. blargg

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Jan 17 2012 23:50:17
    #

Login to Send PM

There's a good chance moisture may be your problem, too. Do you have a damp basement? Ever think of running a dehumidifier? Perimeter spraying can help, too.

7. futureBBmom

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Jan 18 2012 1:51:09
    #

Login to Send PM

blargg, yes the basement is damp. We also fight booklice. So the basement probably is the problem. I've got a dehumidifier running down there but it's not big enough to deal with the problem. Eventually we'll get a larger one that can handle the size of the basement but for now it has to wait. I'll do a perimeter spray tomorrow and spray in the basement. And get a few roach traps to put in the bathroom, kitchen and basement to see if I catch anything to see just what it is.

theyareoutthere, our pets are already use to eating only when we put food out at meal times. They have been on a diet for the past several months, they are way too tubby. So keeping food put away won't be a problem. But water they'll probably have a total hissy fit over. I don't think the bugs have set up camp upstairs yet. I haven't seen any roaches or roach fecal up here at all. As much as I still check for bedbug signs I should be finding the roach fecal if there is any. Of course since I found the icky egg case in the tub then that means they are creeping up here now. Eewww! But again I just remind myself, they're NOT bedbugs, and jump for joy.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.