What is this? Bug filled with blood... [a: not a bed bug]

(9 posts)
  1. BP

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed Jun 26 2013 9:47:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello again,

I found a two small identical bugs, about 4 mm length, on the floor. Almost the same place were I found a confirmed (by the forum and my PCO) bed bug shell two weeks ago.

Now I found these two mean buggers. I think I can identify a bed bug by now, and they don't look like bed bugs to me. I stunned them with bug spray and lifted them up my table for closer inspection. Since they were identical i crushed one. It was filled with blood. Isn't that strange? Insect blood is not suppose to be red, is it?

Please help me ID this blood bug!

Thanks!

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed Jun 26 2013 9:50:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The uncrushed bug is 100% not bedbug related.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bedbug infestations in domestic and commercial settings. The patent numbers are GB2463953 and GB2470307.

"Open minds find faster solutions"

"Astral Entomologist - because so many people say my ideas are out of this world"
  3. BP

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed Jun 26 2013 9:53:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you, that's what I thought.

The crushed one was exactly the same.
    What kind of bug is this?

Is the red blood normal, do some bugs have red blood?

Otherwise I bet it's my blood

4. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed Jun 26 2013 12:05:57
    #

Login to Send PM

It actually is a true bug, insect order Hemiptera. Could be a species of Miridae. It has hemelytra, its wings, that are clearly visible.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult in all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology.
  5. BP

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed Jun 26 2013 12:50:14
    #

Login to Send PM

OK, thanks loubugs.

But why is it filled with blood (possible my blood)? Doesn't they eat like juices from flowers and plants?

Do I have to worry about being eaten by these at night too? Thought it was enough with the bed bug paranoia.... Gaaaah...

6. BP

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Jun 27 2013 6:57:01
    #

Login to Send PM

I'll bump this...

Now I crushed the other one. This one didn't contain any red blood at all.

So now it got me confused. Maybe I didn't look closely enough, maybe they weren't the same. I was pretty sure before but I should have shot a close up with the camera before I crushed the first one. Stupid me.

To you entomologists, is the red blood normal in other common bugs than bb and mosquitos? If the two bugs were the same species, Hemiptera-something, what kind is it and is this specific species a predator?

I hope my pictures were good enough and that some bug super-expert can shine some light on my question.

Btw, I sent the pictures to my PCO, they said it was a carpet beetle. I don't think so. I asked them if it's normal for a carpet beetle to have red blood. They said yes. That's wrong, even I know that. I don't trust my PCO much....

7. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Jun 27 2013 9:14:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Red coloration doesn't always equal blood. Some plant fluids are not always clear.

8. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Jun 27 2013 11:11:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Are the short but straight antennae (for the smashed specimen) an indication that it's not a BB?

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  9. madbugger

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Jul 4 2013 13:36:53
    #

Login to Send PM

That looks like it could be a carpet beetle.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.