Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

What is going on?

(6 posts)
  1. justwantthemgone

Posted 9 months ago
    Tue Mar 14 2017 10:27:47
    #

Login to Send PM

80 days free of bb after seeing dead ones from landlord apartment, never any live. Just to be extra safe, I had pco come out before move to give all clear, I discarded mattress and sofas. We moved in last Saturday and I was ready to put this behind me. I rented new place in a small building. I would not look at anything that had more than 6 units because it increases odd that someone has bb. Soooo are you ready for this????? Last week, after a few nights in new place, I am waking daughter up for school and I see what looks like a fecal stain on sheet... I think maybe I am imagining things..... for the heck of it I pull up her sheet and THERE IT IS!!!! A second stage FED nymph in my new apartment. I ran, got a bag and bagged it. So I am thinking how cold we be 80 days bb free and take them with us??? Did one travel in the moving truck????
    I call pco and told new landlord we found a bug.... PCO then looks around and sees fecal on baseboard of new place and also in another bedroom!!! Previous tenants left behind bb!!! What are the odds??? So here we go again...isolation of beds, climb ups the whole treatment plan.... They found 2 live adults on baseboard and nothing else, so 3 live total. So far clear climb ups. Pco said othet units clear. Reason for telling you this is I need advice.

1. Apartment vacant for 3 months. Why did bugs not move to other apartments for food? How likely is this that they stayed in empty apartment? Seems odd

2. If they stayed in empty apartment how was a second stage nymph still alive after all this time? How long to unfed nymphs live?

3. Owner stated she did not know and is genuinely upset and paying for everything including our laundry....

4. We have not see anything since treatment, traps clear. I saw some fecal on sheets but am not sure if I missed it before treatment was done. If it were a MAJOR infestation wold we have seen more by now?

2. justwantthemgone

Posted 9 months ago
    Wed Mar 15 2017 7:32:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Anyone?

3. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 9 months ago
    Wed Mar 15 2017 8:21:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

1. We don't know enough about this area to accurately model and predict bed bug behavior in this way. The best I can tell you is that the risk of dispersal seems to be related to the presence or absence of even an intermittent signal of potential food and eventually when hungry enough even the smallest of CO2 signatures will appeal to bed bugs.

2. This is still not a black and white fixed area, there are huge differences between lab and field behavior and I don't think this can be accurately answered.

3. That may be the case. I am helping someone at the second who has bought an infested home and moved their family into it. We are yet to establish if the previous owner knew about it and to some extent it is a mute point as liability is in place regardless of awareness. Sounds positive that you have a responsive landlord though.

4. It might be that unless you find signs in the new property of a significant issue that its a recent introduction via moving or in a similar way to how it came into your old property.

I appreciate the apparent logic of a smaller building having less risk but in a different light a larger building filed with people who understand bed bugs through education is a community of prevention and much safer than the smaller option.

Hopefully you can avoid it being such an impacting issue this time around by not having to dispose of the furniture and possessions.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  4. justwantthemgone

Posted 9 months ago
    Wed Mar 15 2017 8:48:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi David,

Thank you for your reply, it is very helpful. I do agree that a bed bug educated larger building is a safer option, but unfortunately it is highly unusual to find such a place. Maybe that will change in the future. I have been able to pass on my knowledge to the other tenants of my current building, so hopefully that will help some.

When the PCO came he inspected all other units and found nothing, however was suspicious but not convinced of maybe self treating. The unit I moved into appears to be the original source, he said the fecal on the baseboards was evidence of that. At this point it may not be worth over analyzing everything as the situation is what it is. However, it does help to try to figure out these things as I am trying to assess the level of infestation. I know it MAY be a positive sign that we have seen no live bugs since first treatment BUT if my apartment was ground zero and was vacant for 3 months AND we are not seeing anything else and all other units are clear then where did all the bugs go???? Are they here hiding???? Are they actually in other units???? Do other units need to be treated anyway? I am trying to educate myself so that I can figure out what I am dealing with here, tackle the issues as efficiently as possible and move forward with my life.

5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 9 months ago
    Wed Mar 15 2017 9:35:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Unusual is no excuse for not creating!

Images would help to assess the level of activity and if you have signs in areas the PCO has not yet treated if the images are clear and in focus I might be able to confirm previous treatment attempts.

The other questions you cant answer and thus to avoid build up of anxiety should not keep trying to answer.

From my personal perspective I would say monitor all adjoining units (in fact monitor all units because its the best strategy) and treat as and when needed by confirming signs. This in essence brings you back around to creating that idea community in the current location in the same way that you would in a larger building.

If you are not doing so yet, try to focus on reading the static content rather than the roller coaster of the forum it will help keep you more focused.

David

6. justwantthemgone

Posted 9 months ago
    Wed Mar 15 2017 21:30:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks! He did treat the entire apartment, so I can't take pictures. They seemed to have a good treatment plan. They steamed, encased, added climb ups, used cimexa and also a spray.
    I'm feeling a bit discouraged because this evening found a casing in drawer of dresser in kids room. Does anyone know how long after feeding the skin in shed? I don't know how they could be getting into the isolated beds....

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

267,890 posts in 43,564 topics over 131 months by 19,079 of 19,673 members. Latest: amanda017, sircoolkeen, skale