Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

What happens when you crush a bed bug? Are they soft or hard?

(5 posts)
  1. toledo

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Nov 13 2010 19:42:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Don't people roll over them in their sleep? Wouldn't someone find a find a crushed bug in their bed at some point? Are their shells really hard? What about nymphs?

2. scaredsilly

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Nov 14 2010 3:44:26
    #

Login to Send PM

I thought this was really far-fetched but it just happened to me this week. I believe they must be really soft because I didn't feel it at all. I thought I felt something on my arm but brushed it off as paranoia. Rolled over and a few minutes later noticed a red streak with a mushed 2nd or 3rd instar on my pillow. I'd like to know what the PCO's think as I believe they do more squishing of bugs than we do.

3. SearchandDestroy

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Nov 14 2010 23:39:38
    #

Login to Send PM

I squished one once in my car...using a napkin..the thing basically vanished and just left a blood smear. I was kind of surprised (it was a nymph) how fragile they really are. Don't know much about adults.

4. toledo

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Nov 15 2010 8:34:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the info. Guess I haven't rolled over one yet. I've caught a couple, but carefully saved them to show the PCOs.

5. Richard_Naylor

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Nov 15 2010 17:01:58
    #

Login to Send PM

They are pretty tough when they are unfed but very vulnerable to bursting when freshly fed. It is relatively hard to kill a hungry bug by squeezing them between the soft parts of your thumb and fore finger, but if you squeeze a freshly fed adult it is about as difficult to crush as a cooked green pea. Freshly fed nymphs are even more fragile. You would struggle to pick up a fed 1st or 2nd instar without bursting it.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

184,146 posts in 28,296 topics over 87 months by 12,192 of 19,346 members. Latest: falc, falc2, jazzychazzy
Site Meter