Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

What happens when you crush a bed bug? Are they soft or hard?

(5 posts)
  1. toledo

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Nov 13 2010 19:42:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Don't people roll over them in their sleep? Wouldn't someone find a find a crushed bug in their bed at some point? Are their shells really hard? What about nymphs?

2. scaredsilly

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Nov 14 2010 3:44:26
    #

Login to Send PM

I thought this was really far-fetched but it just happened to me this week. I believe they must be really soft because I didn't feel it at all. I thought I felt something on my arm but brushed it off as paranoia. Rolled over and a few minutes later noticed a red streak with a mushed 2nd or 3rd instar on my pillow. I'd like to know what the PCO's think as I believe they do more squishing of bugs than we do.

3. SearchandDestroy

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Nov 14 2010 23:39:38
    #

Login to Send PM

I squished one once in my car...using a napkin..the thing basically vanished and just left a blood smear. I was kind of surprised (it was a nymph) how fragile they really are. Don't know much about adults.

4. toledo

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Nov 15 2010 8:34:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the info. Guess I haven't rolled over one yet. I've caught a couple, but carefully saved them to show the PCOs.

5. Richard_Naylor

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Nov 15 2010 17:01:58
    #

Login to Send PM

They are pretty tough when they are unfed but very vulnerable to bursting when freshly fed. It is relatively hard to kill a hungry bug by squeezing them between the soft parts of your thumb and fore finger, but if you squeeze a freshly fed adult it is about as difficult to crush as a cooked green pea. Freshly fed nymphs are even more fragile. You would struggle to pick up a fed 1st or 2nd instar without bursting it.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.