What happened to the forums?!?

(9 posts)
  1. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Nov 23 2014 23:35:24
    #

Login to Send PM

A few things happened, none of them a problem, and any of them undoable.

Don't panic!

First, the most obvious change is I put the list of forums (i.e. categories of posts) at the top of the page above the list of stickies and "latest discussions".

Why? This is actually the software default, but when the site started and there were no posts (!), it wasn't helpful to have at the top.

I suspect now that new users will prefer the list of forums at the top, and heavy users/old timers will prefer the latest discussions at the top. New users have often been confused about how to find posts on a particular topic, rather than just by order of those last posted. See what you think and we can decide in a week or so which is best.

Note that it's important to choose a category (forum) for your thread when you start it. Otherwise it defaults to "Detection/Identification", and I just did a purge of threads which should not have been categorized as such. So please take a moment when you start a thread and choose the most relevant category. (I'm looking at you, KillerQueen!) However, people should be doing this anyway.

Please do let me know in a response below if you LIKE the layout with the forums at top, or not, and why.

Next, a user helpfully alerted me that some material at the bottom of the main forums page had disappeared (the list of "members online" today and some sidebar material like the tag cloud and an ad or two), so I restored those.

Then I also added another function called "Leaderboard" which will likely be of interest only to heavy users and old timers. At the bottom of the sidebar, you should see this menu:

VIEWS
    • Topics with no replies (this may be of interest to those trying to help people with no responses)
    • Topics with no tags (self-explanatory and probably not very useful)
    • Subscribed Topics (this is very useful and tracks topics you have subscribed to without an email-- so you don't need to get the alert email to follow a thread)
    • Leaderboard (click this to get a list of the 100 most prolific posters and blog commenters, over a day, week, all time, etc.)

Sometimes these kinds of changes lead to unexpected glitches so please let me know if anything seems to go wrong (in as much detail as possible). Thanks!

Update:
    Just so you don't wonder about your eyesight, a cosmetic change was also made to the colors of "member status":
    Newbites: a slightly more blue blue
    Junior members: a slightly different green

This was done in order to fix a problem you won't have noticed.
    Incidentally, in doing so, I was given stats on the member statuses, which may interest you:

newbite :: 12710
    junior member :: 468
    member :: 122
    senior member :: 31
    oldtimer :: 25

(That includes only people who've posted on the forums. There are about another 7400 people who are members of the site but haven't posted on the forums or, in a few cases, whose posts were removed.)

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Nov 24 2014 11:38:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Refreshing for the daytimers...

3. buggyinsyracuse

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Nov 24 2014 11:44:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Nobugs. I like the new format. Especially the Views and Leaderboard. While I do prefer the latest discussions at the top, the main purpose (note I said "main," not only) is to help newbies and thus having an easy to understand and navigate format is important.

As always, thanks for all the hard work you do.

4. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Nov 24 2014 11:55:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme -  » 
    I suspect now that new users will prefer the list of forums at the top, and heavy users/old timers will prefer the latest discussions at the top.

Yep! . . . But it does seem like it will be more useful for the new users the current way.

Nobugsonme -  » 

Then I also added another function called "Leaderboard" which will likely be of interest only to heavy users and old timers. At the bottom of the sidebar, you should see this menu:

VIEWS
    • Topics with no replies (this may be of interest to those trying to help people with no responses)
    • Topics with no tags (self-explanatory and probably not very useful)
    • Subscribed Topics (this is very useful and tracks topics you have subscribed to without an email-- so you don't need to get the alert email to follow a thread)
    • Leaderboard (click this to get a list of the 100 most prolific posters and blog commenters, over a day, week, all time, etc.)

Well that's Cool! . . .

As a side note, I did notice that you can only see it if you are logged in (and, thus, can't if you're not (haha!)) . . . but I kept thinking something was wrong with my browser until I actually logged in!

Nobugs . . . Thank You – again – for the site and all you do!!

(P.S. . . any idea on a timeframe when the easier posting of pictures (and hopefully better search engine) will be available? . . . Not to be pushy mind you!!)

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Nov 24 2014 12:05:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks buggyinsyracuse and AbFr!

Abs,
    No timeline yet on more serious site changes. It will be a whole new software and there are some things to work out first, but I am working on it.

The changes above were not planned changes so much as little things I could easily do while fixing the issue that someone pointed out.

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Nov 24 2014 13:18:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Update:
    Just so you don't wonder about your eyesight, a cosmetic change was also made to the colors of "member status":
    Newbites: a slightly more blue blue
    Junior members: a slightly different green

This was done in order to fix a problem you won't have noticed.
    Incidentally, in doing so, I was given stats on the member statuses, which may interest you:

newbite :: 12710
    junior member :: 468
    member :: 122
    senior member :: 31
    oldtimer :: 25

(That includes only people who've posted on the forums. There are about another 7400 people who are members of the site but haven't posted on the forums or, in a few cases, whose posts were removed.)

7. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Nov 25 2014 14:33:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Would it be possible to code an anchor to the top of the latest discussions view so when I refresh I don't need to scroll down each time.

David

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Nov 25 2014 18:47:52
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 4 hours ago  » 
    Hi,
    Would it be possible to code an anchor to the top of the latest discussions view so when I refresh I don't need to scroll down each time.
    David

Yup-- I was thinking of that too, will do.

9. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Nov 25 2014 18:52:20
    #

Login to Send PM

You know what they say about great minds and how its only fools who seldom differ.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

280,362 posts in 46,556 topics over 141 months by 20,532 of 21,395 members. Latest: Bedbugvaca, jidhvs1, Darrellkking