Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

What do bed bugs do if there is no food around?

(11 posts)
  1. Sirtulip

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon May 18 2015 0:53:55
    #

Login to Send PM

If there are no animals around or any suitable host or any "markers" (scents, heat etc) of suitable hosts, what do bed bugs do? I'm wondering if they wander around, or wait til a host comes or something else.

2. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon May 18 2015 3:58:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Wait, wander.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  3. oh_bugger_

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon May 18 2015 8:40:36
    #

Login to Send PM

To add onto this question: If there is no food, do the instars keep growing? I thought they require a blood meal to go from one instar to the next. I set up two Bird-X pheromone traps which claims it lures bedbugs from 2nd stage nymphs to adults. If I had only 1st instars and they aren't growing, does that mean my traps won't catch anything?

4. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon May 18 2015 12:03:14
    #

Login to Send PM

If there is no food, do the instars keep growing? I thought they require a blood meal to go from one instar to the next.
    No, they do require sustenance to grow and to molt to next stage.
    I set up two Bird-X pheromone traps which claims it lures bedbugs from 2nd stage nymphs to adults. If I had only 1st instars and they aren't growing, does that mean my traps won't catch anything?
    I'm not familiar with this trap. I don't know why it won't lure 1st stage nymphs to adults. All nymphal instars will be attracted to a host in order to feed, be it by carbon dioxide, heat or host odor.

5. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon May 18 2015 16:43:49
    #

Login to Send PM

I love the wait, wander.

6. Sirtulip

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon May 18 2015 18:41:54
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 14 hours ago  » 
    Wait, wander.

So both? Any idea what situation makes them wait Vs wander?

7. NY Bug Man

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon May 18 2015 18:49:54
    #

Login to Send PM

They carpool to the nearest Mcdonalds

After 7-10 days of no food they start to get hungry so they wander to find food.

If i left you in a house for a week or so with no food in the fridge what would you do? Id wander till i found something. Eventually they die if they don't get any food but they are pretty good at looking.

8. NY Bug Man

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon May 18 2015 18:50:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Sirtulip - 8 minutes ago  » 

loubugs - 14 hours ago  » 
    Wait, wander.

So both? Any idea what situation makes them wait Vs wander?

Hunger

9. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue May 19 2015 21:30:13
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not an expert. I thought I read at one time that they get really good "signals" of potential food (movement, CO, etc). And, this is probably wrong, but if they are all in one room and hungry and one smart guy wanders to the guest room and finds you sleeping...don't they give off some "happy scent" to come over here...

Again, Lou and other experts, I'm probably wrong and certainly not using the correct words.

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  10. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed May 20 2015 15:36:09
    #

Login to Send PM

After 7-10 days of no food they start to get hungry so they wander to find food.
    It might not even be that long of a time without food before they just wander.
    And, this is probably wrong, but if they are all in one room and hungry and one smart guy wanders to the guest room and finds you sleeping...don't they give off some "happy scent" to come over here...
    There have been mark and recapture studies and not all of them go over to the same place. If there is carbon dioxide while they wander, then that could draw them over.
    I've kept a male and female on paper in a small 1.5x1.5x0.5inch covered box. The male would always be in some other space in that box having crawled around during the night. The female may have crawled around but was back in the same place the next morning so it appeared not to move around a lot or actually didn't move around that much. She deposited eggs in that place. I've also kept small populations of 10-30 in those types of small boxes and individuals would clump together in the corners and folds of the paper but change positions over a short period of time. Even in a small box, they didn't all stay clumped together in only one place. No holes in the plastic to reduce any host odor seeping in.

11. ItsJustABug

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu May 21 2015 11:02:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Hum , They do just like people do when there is no food in the house, wait around till they get really hungry then wander off some place else to find a meal or some one to feed them.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,805 posts in 50,043 topics over 155 months by 21,876 of 22,362 members. Latest: jnnafnlys01, simo7, Datnguyen