Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

what do bed bug feces look like?

(7 posts)
  1. buggerthis

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Feb 18 2010 0:13:54
    #

Login to Send PM

hi all. i have seen pictures here of what to look for on mattresses but tonight and last night i found some curious substance on the carpet near my bed. it was a dark greyish substance and when i picked it up, it felt like ash. when i smushed it around with my finger it kind of disolved like ash as well and left a long grey smear on my hand. is this something that could be related to bed bugs, or am i just trying to see things that aren't there?

2. upagain

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Feb 18 2010 1:58:01
    #

Login to Send PM

I sometimes have drain flies in my house. When they die and fall to the ground, if I pick them up they vanish into a gray ash like you are explaining. Have you noticed any of these in your home? The look like tiny moths.

3. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Feb 18 2010 7:55:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Bed Bug faecal material is NEVER ash like. Its is mainly dark in colour and dries into spots or on some surfaces ball like.

There are lots of high resolution images here:

http://www.bed-bugs.co.uk/gallery.html

and

http://www.bedbugbeware.com/gallery.html

Part of the problem is that when you start looking you often find things that have been there for a long time or things you had never noticed before.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bedbug infestations in domestic and commercial settings. The patent numbers are GB2463953 and GB2470307.
  4. upagain

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Feb 18 2010 10:29:27
    #

Login to Send PM

David-
    "Part of the problem is that when you start looking you often find things that have been there for a long time or things you had never noticed before."

How true!!!!!!!!

5. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Feb 18 2010 14:47:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Bed bug fecal matter in my infestation always looked like one of two things depending on the surface it was on.

On porous surfaces like fabrics, bed bug fecal matter looked like someone had left an uncapped permanent marker lying so that the ink from the marker bled into the fabric.

On non porous surfaces, the fecal matter looked a lot like the old fashioned candy dots that came on strips of paper. You know what I mean? The little sugary dots that you would peel off?

Fecal matter on nonporous surfaces looked like tiny little very dark but matte black versions of those candy dots.

Neither type brushed off. On fabric, even repeated trips through the laundry would not remove them.

As posters above have said, there's nothing like looking around the apartment or house for bed bugs to make you find all kinds of insect and arachnid based things that you never knew you lived with.

6. buggerthis

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Feb 18 2010 22:08:08
    #

Login to Send PM

buggyinsocal - 7 hours ago  » 
    As posters above have said, there's nothing like looking around the apartment or house for bed bugs to make you find all kinds of insect and arachnid based things that you never knew you lived with.

so true. i have been picking up and keeping any little crumb or spec that i find on the floor in case i need it for evidence if i end up needing to call a pco.

i'm still not sure if i have bed bugs or not, but it sounds like the substance i found was definitely not left by them. thanks for your input!

7. seth.gman

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Oct 20 2010 13:03:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear friends,

I found some marks on my bedsheet this morning, and I am anxious about what they could be. They were not completely absorbed into or flush with the fabric of my sheet. The color was a blackish brown/green, and the texture could still be felt. One piece flaked off entirely and was a little disk, but not quite as smooth as the candy dot mentioned above. Furthermore, they were right near where my head rests, right on top of the sheet - I'd have expected to find any remnants of a presence in corners or folds. I was reading with my computer on the bed last night, so if some muck was simply stuck to it, I might have nothing to fear. I also know I have a minor German cockroach problem, so it could be that. In any of your experience, would you call this an obvious sign? Am I being paranoid or overly optimistic? Should I immediately contact my landlord for an inspection, or should I wait to see if more of these appear?

Many thanks for your advice!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.