Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

What are the chances I would bring home bed bugs?

(3 posts)
  1. tietherope

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jun 18 2010 16:53:50
    #

Login to Send PM

My Mom recently discovered her apartment has bed bugs. That being the case my Aunt has gone to her house the past 2 days to help her bag stuff up and get ready for the exterminator. My mom is also now staying at my Aunt's house.

We have a family dinner for Father's Day in 2 days at my Aunt's house and I am considering cancelling as my mom is staying there and they have both been in the infested apartment on 2 separate days now. I know it sounds mean but I do not want to bring them back to my home of 5 people and 2 cats. I don't wish to deal with the issues that arise from bed bugs, nor do I wish to have to cancel the family trip we have in 2 weeks.

What are the odds I would bring some home? Am I going over board?
    I know they will be mad at me for not going, however I feel them being angry with me pales in comparison to getting bed bugs.

2. parakeets

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jun 18 2010 18:05:04
    #

Login to Send PM

I think if you take precautions, the chances would be very small. Forewarned is forearmed.

**Don't take anthing such as a bag or purse into the house.
    **Don't take anything from the house back home with you.
    **Leave coats, hats, etc. in the car.
    **Wear simple, washable clothes. Don't wear pants with cuffs or jackets with pockets or hoodies. Avoid clothes with hiding places.
    **Change out of your clothes as soon as you get home.
    **Put your clothes in ziplock bags until you can wash and dry them on hot.
    **Take a shower when you get home.

The reason I say this program works is because years ago I asked about a team of professionals who go into infested apartments and homes day after day to prepare the residences for bedbug treatment. How could they possibly go into untreated homes, day after day, and not bring bedbugs home? (They didn't get bedbugs.) The plan I told you above is what I was told how they dealth with it. Bedbug professionals know how to vastly minimize the risk of getting bedbugs and you can, too.

If you get bedbugs, it is unlikely you got them from this visit where you are so prepared and careful. Obviously the bedbug situation has existed before you knew about it, and there were more chances you could have been exposed then than now.

If you are going to be going back and forth a lot to this home, you might want to look into buying a Packtite.

I'm a bit spooked about shoes. If you are really worried, I'd say leave your shoes in the car and wear flip flops into the house . Carefully inspect the flip flops when you leave, particularly the seams where the straps join the sole when you leave the house. You can also toss the flip flops into a washer, though I don't think they can go into a dryer.

A comforting thought is that not everyone who stays in a hotel room that has bedbugs gets bedbugs, even with taking no precautions at all. So even if you did nothing (which I would not advise), you might not bet bedbugs.

We are smarter than bedbugs. We will win. Enjoy the celebration.

3. tietherope

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jun 18 2010 18:38:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for your advice, I really do appreciate it.

I was speaking with my Mom just a few minutes ago and she is at her apartment with my Aunt because they have to pack up everything in the place before someone comes in to take care of the problem. They are then heading back to my Aunt's and as I truly don't feel that they are taking as many precatuions as they could I had to cancel for Sunday.

I know it is not the ideal choice and many would suggest against it but I felt it was right for me. My Mom was o.k. with it (probably because she knows what having them is like), while my Aunt was upset/angry and didn't want to talk to me. The last thing I want to do is hurt anyone, but the reality is that although she says there is none at her house, it has only been 1 day so she does not know that.

I am 24 and live with my Dad, if I were to bring them back to my house (especially after he suggested going is not the best choice) my household would be rather angry with me. It would be a mental and financial burden and as mentioned above it would cause them to cancel a trip we have had planned for almost a year now (to the tune of a couple thousand dollars).

In a few weeks time if my Aunt has no signs of bed bugs at her house, sure I will go visit no problem. I just feel the risk is not worth it right now. Maybe if i lived on my own or did not have a vacation shortly I would go. Hopefully my Aunt will understand eventually. And that is the end of my rambling, which is just me trying to justify what I have done.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.