Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

What about Shoes?

(5 posts)
  1. welcome2mynitemared

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jul 8 2011 16:23:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Should I be concerned that bb are in my shoes? Do they like sneakers? If so...how do I treat them without washing them or a packtite?.... Haven't seen any evidence of them near or on shoes but I'm Tooo paranoid to discount the idea they could be there. For the time being we've been leaving then outside.

2. Rosae

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Jul 9 2011 8:35:28
    #

Login to Send PM

In the beginning of the infestation I always steamed my shoes with a hand steamer and a piece of garden hose before I left my house.

Now I leave my shoes in the kitchen close to the balcony door where it is fairly light. The sun is shining there and bed bug don't like light. They prefer darker parts of the room. At least this is my reasoning.

I've never found a bed bug in my shoe. I wonder if they would survive it if you put on your shoe and press a bit in all directions.

3. bbgirl

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Jul 9 2011 8:44:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Bed bugs in shoes can be a problem. Several times I left the house with a stowaway in my boots even though I tried vacuuming them and using alcohol (don't use alcohol on the inside of the shoe unless you have time to thoroughly dry them out as it is very hard on the skin). I knew because I could feel it biting and had to stop and try to get it out which is very embarassing on a public sidewalk jumping around on one foot shaking out your sock. Hopefully you would know by feeling it or having bites on your foot.

If you get a packtite you will be able to treat your shoes with heat which is ideal.

4. Bugfreak

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Jul 9 2011 20:05:21
    #

Login to Send PM

When my stress about the extent of our BB situation was at its peak, I purchased a few plastic bins with lids. I ran a bunch of shoes through the Packtite (I may have even sprayed alcohol in them in the days before the Packtite arrived when I felt I had to do something. . .) and then instituted a protocol for the family. Shoes went immediately into the bins upon arriving home and did not leave the bin until we were on our way out the door.

This helped me feel like I had some control without having to inspect our shoes with a flashlight all the time or risk ruining them by running through the Packtite too often.

The good news is that 10 months after our run-in, I am slowly getting us all back to living like quasi-normal people. I never believed that was possible but it is. . .

Good Luck. . .

5. Zilver

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Jul 9 2011 20:30:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Yep Bugfreak, I did about the same thing with the plasticbin for shoes in the hallway!

Also I ran my shoes in the dryingcupboard we have in our laundryrooms when I had laundrytime, They stay at around 65-70dC, and kept them there for 2-3h. Not sure how common these are in the US, UK etc so it may not be an option?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

190,764 posts in 29,325 topics over 90 months by 12,644 of 19,898 members. Latest: waitingforbyebugs, TroublesBehind, mightywarrior