Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

What about Hydrogen Peroxide?

(9 posts)
  1. NeverSurrender

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Nov 26 2011 12:16:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Did a search on Hydrogen Peroxide and didn't find too much info. I already know that HP is a VERY powerful bacteria killer. I would think it might be a good contact killer. I don't know if it was sprayed if it would have any residual affects. Any ideas?

Note - I made this post in anticipation to how I'm going to mange my apartment after my Cryonite and Phantom treatments are completed by The PCO.

2. bugdefcon

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Nov 26 2011 13:10:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Hydrogen peroxide is a bleaching agent. I would be concerned about it well... bleaching the stuff you use it on. It depends on the concentration. Why not stick to alcohol which is known to be a good contact killer.

3. NeverSurrender

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Nov 26 2011 13:55:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Can you explain specifically how to use the alcohol and what type I should use? Much appreciated!

4. bugdefcon

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Nov 26 2011 14:31:57
    #

Login to Send PM

If you google, you'll find plenty of websites explaining it. Here's are a couple.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4913582_kill-bed-bugs-alcohol.html
    http://www.pestcentral.com/bedbugs/bedbug-dos-and-donts.html

The thing I will add is if you are going to be spraying alcohol around, I would at least wear a respirator with eye protection. I would also make sure the area is well ventilated.

5. Chicago Way

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Nov 28 2011 1:44:57
    #

Login to Send PM

I used 91% isopropyl in a spray bottle in my DYI attempts to control bed bugs at one time. You use it as a direct contact killer. I preferred it to smooshing them and staining everything. I would point out two aspects often neglected in instructions: 1) Isopropyl damages many fabrics over time. 2) Isopropol is flammable.

On more than one occasion I sprayed so much in my mother's bedroom its smelt like the inside of a bottle of Jack Daniels. Many a bed bug DYIer has set their house afire. Just be careful.

6. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Nov 28 2011 10:31:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Many household cleaning products (as well as 91% alcohol) sprayed directly on bed bugs (but not on eggs). We call these products "contact killers". A lot of the "green, designer" bed bug sprays are in this class (look for the tell-tale ingredient "Sodium Lauryl/Laureth Sulfate", which is a detergent). Contact killers will dissipate within minutes and will have no further kill effect on the surfaces where they are applied.

Choose a contact killer based on what is most appropriate for the surface you are treating (as noted above, alcohol, bleach or peroxide will damage surfaces, while soaps can leave a sticky film) as well as price, if you like the odor, availability, salesperson is hot, etc.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night; nor for the arrow that flieth by day; Nor for the pestilence that walketh in darkness; nor for the destruction that wasteth at noonday. A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; but it shall not come nigh thee.
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  7. soretit

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Nov 28 2011 10:56:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Is there a 'dead bed bug' odour?
    If so thats what I want any application to smell of.
    Alcohol?
    It evaporates in seconds.
    Why use it plus it goes bang bigtime.
    Ok a burnt out home might be bed bug free but isnt that overkill?
    Just a little?
    Seriously. Is alchohol useful in any way?
    Please pardon my ignorance but I want to learn.

8. Chicago Way

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Nov 29 2011 3:16:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Alcohol is a great and cheap contact killer. Alcohol's flash point is the lowest temp where it can vaporize/evaporate to form an ignition in air. Therein lays the reason why you should be careful. I should point out I started university as chem major so have used many combustible materials in my day.

And yes there is a bed bug odor. The Greek word "to bite" and bedbug is coris and is the root for coriander which they smell like. I found this out first hand much to my horror when I dis-infested my mother's bed. I eventually bought a vacuum just for the bed bugs because I didn't want to risk gettin' blowed up again.

9. soretit

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Nov 29 2011 4:23:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the Greek lesson!
    Funnily enough the Zoroastrians, the religion which exsisted before the one started by a man who married a seven year old girl (arranged, I think) absolutely hated insects so much that their 'mascot' animal was the hedgehog.
    I kid you not and I am pretty sure the top of the list of hated insects was our bedbug.
    So in fact it might be, and this is conjecture, that if you had a bedbug problem an earlier version of Mr Cain ( and his brother Able) would have gone to their local temple to rent a hedgehog.
    Their could have been inter tribal conferences on bedbugs held on top of mountains or the nearest burning bush.
    Indeed a burning bush might have been a prototype bug bomb, so wondrous its powers.
    There again it could be the local bedbug priest was on to a good con.
    Human nature, as well as bedbugs, never changes.
    Religions do, funnily enough.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.