Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

What about Hydrogen Peroxide?

(9 posts)
  1. NeverSurrender

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Nov 26 2011 11:16:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Did a search on Hydrogen Peroxide and didn't find too much info. I already know that HP is a VERY powerful bacteria killer. I would think it might be a good contact killer. I don't know if it was sprayed if it would have any residual affects. Any ideas?

Note - I made this post in anticipation to how I'm going to mange my apartment after my Cryonite and Phantom treatments are completed by The PCO.

2. bugdefcon

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Nov 26 2011 12:10:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Hydrogen peroxide is a bleaching agent. I would be concerned about it well... bleaching the stuff you use it on. It depends on the concentration. Why not stick to alcohol which is known to be a good contact killer.

3. NeverSurrender

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Nov 26 2011 12:55:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Can you explain specifically how to use the alcohol and what type I should use? Much appreciated!

4. bugdefcon

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Nov 26 2011 13:31:57
    #

Login to Send PM

If you google, you'll find plenty of websites explaining it. Here's are a couple.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4913582_kill-bed-bugs-alcohol.html
    http://www.pestcentral.com/bedbugs/bedbug-dos-and-donts.html

The thing I will add is if you are going to be spraying alcohol around, I would at least wear a respirator with eye protection. I would also make sure the area is well ventilated.

5. Chicago Way

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Nov 28 2011 0:44:57
    #

Login to Send PM

I used 91% isopropyl in a spray bottle in my DYI attempts to control bed bugs at one time. You use it as a direct contact killer. I preferred it to smooshing them and staining everything. I would point out two aspects often neglected in instructions: 1) Isopropyl damages many fabrics over time. 2) Isopropol is flammable.

On more than one occasion I sprayed so much in my mother's bedroom its smelt like the inside of a bottle of Jack Daniels. Many a bed bug DYIer has set their house afire. Just be careful.

6. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Nov 28 2011 9:31:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Many household cleaning products (as well as 91% alcohol) sprayed directly on bed bugs (but not on eggs). We call these products "contact killers". A lot of the "green, designer" bed bug sprays are in this class (look for the tell-tale ingredient "Sodium Lauryl/Laureth Sulfate", which is a detergent). Contact killers will dissipate within minutes and will have no further kill effect on the surfaces where they are applied.

Choose a contact killer based on what is most appropriate for the surface you are treating (as noted above, alcohol, bleach or peroxide will damage surfaces, while soaps can leave a sticky film) as well as price, if you like the odor, availability, salesperson is hot, etc.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  7. soretit

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Nov 28 2011 9:56:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Is there a 'dead bed bug' odour?
    If so thats what I want any application to smell of.
    Alcohol?
    It evaporates in seconds.
    Why use it plus it goes bang bigtime.
    Ok a burnt out home might be bed bug free but isnt that overkill?
    Just a little?
    Seriously. Is alchohol useful in any way?
    Please pardon my ignorance but I want to learn.

8. Chicago Way

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Nov 29 2011 2:16:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Alcohol is a great and cheap contact killer. Alcohol's flash point is the lowest temp where it can vaporize/evaporate to form an ignition in air. Therein lays the reason why you should be careful. I should point out I started university as chem major so have used many combustible materials in my day.

And yes there is a bed bug odor. The Greek word "to bite" and bedbug is coris and is the root for coriander which they smell like. I found this out first hand much to my horror when I dis-infested my mother's bed. I eventually bought a vacuum just for the bed bugs because I didn't want to risk gettin' blowed up again.

9. soretit

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Nov 29 2011 3:23:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the Greek lesson!
    Funnily enough the Zoroastrians, the religion which exsisted before the one started by a man who married a seven year old girl (arranged, I think) absolutely hated insects so much that their 'mascot' animal was the hedgehog.
    I kid you not and I am pretty sure the top of the list of hated insects was our bedbug.
    So in fact it might be, and this is conjecture, that if you had a bedbug problem an earlier version of Mr Cain ( and his brother Able) would have gone to their local temple to rent a hedgehog.
    Their could have been inter tribal conferences on bedbugs held on top of mountains or the nearest burning bush.
    Indeed a burning bush might have been a prototype bug bomb, so wondrous its powers.
    There again it could be the local bedbug priest was on to a good con.
    Human nature, as well as bedbugs, never changes.
    Religions do, funnily enough.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

199,968 posts in 30,999 topics over 94 months by 13,436 of 20,845 members. Latest: annie.smith, gotbugsintac, aclark