What about electronics?

(7 posts)
  1. paulaw0919

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Aug 2 2007 20:53:23
    #

Login to Send PM

we've had four treatments. I see that people are freezing things and putting items in a POD and the such. We have not done this. We have left the TV, stereo, CDs DVDs and the such alone. I figure if we can't get rid of the bugs we'll just lose everything and start over. FOr the price it would cost on storage for over a year we could hav ebought new anyway. But I wonder if this is an issue to worry about. PCO says that if there is anything in there it will be exposed to the treatment and die...Then I see some one on here that has been battling them for over 2yrs!! I cann't do this for that long with 3 small children!!! As it is I'm affraid to send my oldest to pre-K in Sept in fear that we would infest the place if the bugs aren't gone yet... Oh, Lord help us

2. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Aug 2 2007 21:39:57
    #

Login to Send PM

good point about the electronics and the cost of storage. I threw the vcr out and then I de-infested the TV and I gave it away: to de infest a tv???
    1--I was not sure if my electronics were infested. But sure that the printer was--so I chucked it.
    2--it helps to keep these things off the ground, of course--on a free-standing item and/or put onto some type of plastic. Bugs will be less likely to go in and still as likely to come out.
    This is not solid fact—more common knowledge that bed bugs prefer non smooth items to romp in—usually.
    So … the bugs “in there” will be drawn out to feed so long as you are in fairly close proximity. at least 6 feet? (Not sure but pretty close.)

Also have the PCO’s put the poisons in-between where you'll be, and where the electronics will be (usually in a corner or near a wall). It is not getting more bugs in there that is the concern. This is for why I say raise them and perhaps put on
    s-m-o-o-t-h- plastic.
    One “cleared” say after as many treatments and you have had no bites for 3 weeks--you can, in hot weather especially--start to safely “assume” they are not infested. Then wait another week to 10 days and see.
    That’s my take on it these days.

If--the place is running rampant with bugs ... well it is like a numbers game but who knows for sure what the magic number is for each home and each piece of equipment?
    Is it …. 1 in 10 bugs or is it …. 2 bugs in 500?
    Most PCO/s say it is unlikely. Yet—and although my own printer was infected and chucked--I tend to agree.
    My bed is within 5 feet of all of my electronics--so ... I ran /run a greater risk.
    Keep them well away from the bed—so long as your sure you’ll not be spreading bugs elsewhere,
    Paula—site search for “electronics” you may find some interesting hits, ideas and tips.
    Check with the PCO—you are in mid-treatment and he may say ok—move it or no no no –leave it right where it is.

Mr. Willow

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Aug 2 2007 21:43:57
    #

Login to Send PM

If you are getting treatment with residuals (including dusts) then the bed bugs will come out of the electronics at some point, make contact with the pesticides, and die.

If you are sure an item is infested, you could put it on a tray or platform or table, surround the floor around the platform or table with DE, and wait. In time, they will want to feed and they will come out.

Alternatively, PCOs have also recommended running a hairdryer and pointing it at the crevices and holes in the electronic device. The idea is bed bugs will come out.

Don't mix dusts and hairdryers, though--you don't want to inhale that stuff.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. paulaw0919

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Aug 3 2007 7:11:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you all. The TV, VCR, speakers etc are in the living room. The couch was infested pretty bad and that is gone now. Since I cannot take apart the speakers I think I'll feel better if I just wrap them in plastic and rid them. They were my husbands but he said to do it if I feel better about that. (what a guy

5. bittenbitten

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Aug 14 2007 11:50:45
    #

Login to Send PM

anybody have success freezing them? i know the condensation is no good for electronics, so you would have to put it in an airtight ziplock bag. i'm wondering if the excessive cold would cause anything to crack or if the electronics have an lcd screen, if it would be affected by the cold.

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Aug 14 2007 11:53:23
    #

Login to Send PM

It could very well ruin some electronics. I would not do it. Except in very serous infestations (seeing lots of bugs), PCOs tell me electronics are usually safe. Take some time with those around the bed, inspecting, blowing a hot hairdryer in the holes. Even circle the item's table's legs with DE. But I would not freeze electronics.

7. bittenbitten

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Aug 14 2007 12:07:36
    #

Login to Send PM

thanks for the advice. i appreciate it a lot.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.