(2 posts)
  1. 108bites

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Wed Oct 11 2017 17:25:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello!

I'm posting out of just sheer paranoia, I moved to NYC this year and before getting here I'd never even seen a cockroach, much less a bed bug, and have no idea how to react to this situation.

Basically I was bitten about 8 times last night, and these are pretty huge welts. I woke up at 4am really itchy, rolled over and went back to sleep. I attract mosquito bites like nobody's business; in a room of 10 people I'll have 3x the bites that everyone else does. Five of my bites look like mosquito bites and feel like them, and are widely spaced on my back, one on my neck, and one on my left arm. But there's a line of 3 smaller bites down my right arm that are penny sized and are really freaking me out. Last week (10/03) I had 2 small, itchy bumps on my left hand. They disappeared within 2-3 days, and itch exactly the amount a mosquito bite would. Kind of when irritated, but otherwise I barely notice.

I have completely white sheets and pillows, light a light grey blanket, and 0 signs of bed bugs. Is there anything I can do besides lay traps wait and see if I get bitten more? What do I do?

2. IckIck

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Thu Oct 12 2017 11:39:38
    #

Login to Send PM

When I was in your position - suspected bed bugs but no evidence - I immediately began to act as though I did have them. (A week later I found a dead bug.) That meant: bagging all sheets/blankets/pillows in a plastic bag, sealing it up, and washing and drying all those items. Then put a bed-bug-approved mattress encasement on the mattresses. Then I washed and dried all bedding every day or every other day (it's a huge pain).

I was also very concerned not to spread the bugs (we got ours from a neighbor who came to our house) so we did not leave the house without showering and putting on clean, dried clothes that were stored in sealed zip-lock bags (or a sealed plastic storage box) - same with shoes - we would change into those clothes near the door and immediately leave the house (again, a pain).

I also inspected the mattresses and rooms regularly. I found the "proof" in a dead bug under a dresser.

I cannot be sure but I assume that our infestation would have been worse than it was if I had not taken some steps like this immediately. Of course please know that there can be other causes of bites, so it's a bit of a mental tightrope act to feel the anxiety, paranoia, and suspicion - knowing that some of it can be in your head, but also that it may be your intuition or simply correct. Recently a woman learned that her son's bites were actually chicken pox...but to me it does sound like your bites at least *could* be bed bug bites, and so it cannot hurt to act accordingly for a while, until you have more information.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

265,621 posts in 43,065 topics over 129 months by 18,896 of 19,457 members. Latest: Bugtimore, Paranoid34, terrifieddd