we live in a sleeper berth semi

(8 posts)
  1. mfindley

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Oct 18 2009 23:27:51
    #

Login to Send PM

We have had this truck (Sleeper berth semi) since March. Absolutely no problems until August. Threw away the mattress, sprayed. Only relief is cold weather. My husband gets bit much worse than me but how do we cure a truck? Have gone to motel twice, washed, cleaned, sprayed, spread vicks and absorbine jr around. Never saw any bugs, parts, anything like that except very recently one small beetle-like thing, black body, red head. Help!

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Oct 19 2009 1:29:52
    #

Login to Send PM

They're hard to find even in the best of circumstances. A truck seems like it might be even harder-- lots of nooks and crannies in a small space.

You may be able to have the truck tented and gassed (for example with Vikane -- sulfuryl fluoride -- if available in your area) or treated using thermal methods.

Professional spray and dust treatments might work but seem tricky, given the space you're working with.

Try and figure out if you're being repeatedly exposed also -- if you get thermal or Vikane, you do not want to reinfest yourself.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Oct 19 2009 8:18:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Are you using Vick's and Absorbine on yourselves or your truck? As you're mobile, consider shopping for a good PCO and driving over for an inspection and/or treatment. Considering its size, it should probably be easier to thermal a truck than a home. But do verify that what you are in fact dealing with is BB on your truck.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  4. theprotoflex

newbite

Posted 10 months ago
    Tue Nov 19 2013 23:38:59
    #

Login to Send PM

I know this post is old. I was wondering if the problem ever got taken care of. I recently came in contact with bed bugs at a hotel, and didn't think I'd carry them into the truck or was hoping I wouldn't, more or less. First night, they tore me a new one. Though, I have sensitive skin, and I normally keep anything from biting me, except for red bugs. As they hang on for dear life. So I'm sorta hoping it was an isolated incident, where there were only a few that I carried with me, and that they'll eventually fade out.

I'm still scratching, but I'm not sure if it's bed bugs, or just itches, because I'm not showing bite marks like the first night. I think my ex-codriver may have brought them on the truck. Maybe the hotel wasn't the culprit. But, from what information I've gathered about bed bugs in the past, is that the best way to get rid of them is steam cleaning your garments. Traditional dryers help, but might not get them all.

5. bbcomox

Posted 10 months ago
    Wed Nov 20 2013 2:49:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi theprotoflex,

Thanks for posting. I am not sure of your message though. Are you trying to find out how to determine if you have any bedbugs in your truck?

If so, you may want to follow the advice that was already giving:

- finding a good PCO and drive your truck there for an inspection

- if your truck does have bedbugs, then you could try:
    1. chemical treatment
    2. Vikane fumigation
    3. heat treatment

I am also not sure if the truck belongs to you or a company. Once you have confirmed the truck has bedbugs, you may want to notify the company.

Good luck.

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 months ago
    Wed Nov 20 2013 4:20:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Drying clothing/linens on hot is very effective. Probably more foolproof than steaming though steam kills bed bugs if applied correctly. Please view our FAQs especially those on getting bed bugs out of your stuff.

You should consider some bed bug monitors to detect if you have them in your truck. (That option wasn't as well developed as it is now when the thread was started.) See the Useful Tools page for more on monitors.

Note that if you had skin reactions appear in the truck, they could have been from the hotel visit. Bed bug bites can take hours, days, or even weeks to appear. If new "bites" stopped appearing, then you may not have brought any home to the berth, though monitors are a good idea for ruling this out.

7. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 10 months ago
    Wed Nov 20 2013 10:54:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I have worked on a few semi rigs over the years and the trick is frankly to set the time aside to deal with it and be thorough.

This may mean literally stripping the contents from the cab and rebuilding it. If you get a good PCO and ideally one who specializes in steam for the immediate clearance I will be happy to advise them on some of what I have seen and done in the past.

Once its cleared as long as you follow the good advice in the FAQ on checking for bedbugs when you stay in hotels the problem should not return. Although it has to be said the cases I have seen in the past were almost all associated with the same source which was a "gentleman's entertainment facility" in France.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bedbug infestations in domestic and commercial settings. The patent numbers are GB2463953 and GB2470307.

"Astral Entomologist - because so many people say my ideas are out of this world"
  8. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 9 months ago
    Wed Dec 11 2013 21:55:59
    #

Login to Send PM

When a home (or truck) is treated for bed bugs, some (not all) pros recommend that fabrics be run through a dryer or other heat treatment, then sealed up. This is in order to minimize the number of infested items and places and cut down on the number of places bed bugs can hide. That said, those "things" (like garments) are not always infested. Even of they are, the main areas to focus on are those p where people sit or lie for long periods (beds, couches, chairs) or close by. Heat treating garments alone will likely miss the real hotspots. Finally, for steam to be effective against bed bugs and eggs, it needs have sufficient temperature, volume and time to penetrate. Just running a fabric steamer over a garment is likely to miss spots.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.