Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Watch out - bed bugs are waay smarter than we previously thought! ;-)

(5 posts)
  1. Innocence Stolen

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Wed Jan 11 2017 17:08:13
    #

Login to Send PM

I have been battling bed bugs for over a month now. Done to hardly any bites any more, maybe one or two a week, if that. Tore the house apart, literally. Not even done yet. Thought we were doing pretty good. Thought we were outwitting the dang things. Until today.

I saw a spot on the top of my [dark stained] dresser. Got on reading glasses. Grabbed a flashlight. Inspected. Saw a small bed bug, on it's back, legs in the air. I lightly blew on it. Didn't move. I gently nudged it with my fingernail. Didn't move. I smugly thought to myself, (since no one else was around to say it aloud to), "A dead bed bug is a good bed bug. Ha!"

I grabbed a white tissue and 'pinched' the bug to pick it up. When I opened the tissue, the little dastard tried to run away!!! It wasn't dead! It was only PLAYING DEAD! :-O

Seems these guys are much smarter than we previously thought! They are very talented actors. Do NOT be fooled! If you see one you think is dead, it may just be acting. Squishing it is the only way to know for sure! And yes, it's perfectly okay for you to feel some satisfaction when you do the squishing...or flushing...or what ever creative way you have of terminating/disposing them! lol

Wishing everyone the best in your good fight against these unwanted house guests!!

2. Poiqm

Account Closed

Posted 5 months ago
    Wed Jan 11 2017 17:38:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Bed bug playing possum. lol

What residual spray are you using? Or powder? I found a bed bug that was moving really slow so I put it in a jar and for a day it slowly clambered around in there, then a couple days later he was zipping around the jar full of energy. I wondered if it had contacted some residual spray when I found it but not enough to kill it and then it recovered. I'll never know and he eventually became a test subject for a direct contact spray (which worked by the way).

Account closed
  3. Livingagain

Posted 5 months ago
    Wed Jan 11 2017 18:45:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Which contact spray?

4. Poiqm

Account Closed

Posted 5 months ago
    Wed Jan 11 2017 19:01:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Bayer Advanced Home Pest Plus Germ Killer Indoor and Outdoor Insect Killer

I had it on hand already so tested it. It works. I don't know how effective it is as a residual though but it says it is residual also. For residual I am using Harris Egg Kill and Resistant Bed Bug Spray - Black Label. (Which reminds me, I wanted to post a question to the forum about it...)

5. Innocence Stolen

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Wed Jan 11 2017 19:36:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Poiqm - 1 hour ago  » 
    Bed bug playing possum. lol
    What residual spray are you using? Or powder? I found a bed bug that was moving really slow so I put it in a jar and for a day it slowly clambered around in there, then a couple days later he was zipping around the jar full of energy. I wondered if it had contacted some residual spray when I found it but not enough to kill it and then it recovered. I'll never know and he eventually became a test subject for a direct contact spray (which worked by the way).

We haven't used any bug sprays - we live in an apartment and we don't want to spread them any further than the few apartments that have them now. We've been using DE, (sparingly), and cleaning and vacuuming like mad as well as tossing everything into the dryer and putting everything 'clean' into ziplock baggies. I have a TON of them in all sizes from sandwich size all the way up to ones big enough to fit 2 soccer balls in one. LOVE me my ziplocks!! lol

We'll need to tell the apartment managers we have them now, but from what we have heard about the other three apartments that have/had them before us, they are pretty much leaving it all up to the individual tenants to take care of their own bb problems. So, that's what we have been doing. I've been working like mad for the past few weeks and have got the bb's down to a small number now. After I finish all the prerequisites needed for any possible professional help brought in by management if they actually help, I'll let them know, Until then, I have to do this. I have to comb through everything. I have tossed out well over 1200lbs of household goods so far. Took everything to our incinerator so no one could take any of it.

I don't know if this particular bug had possibly run through some of the DE? I only posted about it because I'm finally able to start finding humor in all of this. Need to. Spent too many tears over all of already. Time to make light of it when ever possible!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

257,195 posts in 41,256 topics over 125 months by 18,080 of 18,499 members. Latest: Mendace, astephe2, Cmarie32