Was that BB? [a: cydnid bugs]

(11 posts)
  1. plznobb

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sun Oct 8 2017 12:18:50
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't know if posting this would really help or not but I'll still do it ,maybe it can give something conclusive.
    So I felt something crawling on my forehead in bed, I picked it up and under light from mobile It looked a lot like bed bug but then suddenly it kinda flew away or more like it jumped away , It was on the tip of my index finger as I was inspecting it, all happened so quickly, All I remember seeing in that little light was that it jumped from my fingertip towards the side of my bed ,then it disappeared.
    Now , I know that BBs can't jump or fly and that some beetles can and that I have some kind of cigarette/drugstore beetles in my house as it turned out in the previous thread But First, this bug was much darker in color from what I could see and much more oval shaped and Secondly, I had ceiling fan running over me, I have a feeling that maybe it was just blown away by the wind as I was inspecting it.

So my question is
    Can bed bugs be blown away by wind from a fan like that ?

I searched around and beneath my bed but couldn't find anything , if it is not BB then it can most likely be Black carpet beetle (like ones that are identified in these other threadshere and here) but for that I would like to know can these black beetles jump or fly ? or Can they bite? Do they infest beds ? where to look for them?

I would also like to note( if this is relevant or helpful) that after contact there was sharp olive like smell on my fingers. I hope I can actually see and take a picture of one and I hope that its not an actual bed bug.

Thanks.

2. bedbugsbugme

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sun Oct 8 2017 19:18:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Do you have any other signs like feces or cast skins?

I'm not an expert. Just sharing what I learned from my experience.
  3. plznobb

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Mon Oct 9 2017 10:30:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Nothing on my bed as of yet , haven't checked elsewhere.

4. psychologically_messed_up

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Mon Oct 9 2017 19:50:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Carpet beetles do have wings and can fly (adults ones, anyway), and if your bed has natural fibers (like cotton sheets on it) then a carpet beetle could absolutely be on it. It’s not totally out of the question. Also, yes, a BB on your finger could be blown off in wind from a fan. They don’t have the best grip (hence wrapping items before moving them through your home), so falling off is easy for them.

"When you hear hoofbeats, think horses not zebras" Theodore Woodward

I am, by no means, a pro. I'm simply a person that has had unfortunate luck, and somehow acquired the little guys.
    Any/all 'advice' I have to share is based on my own personal history and/or things I've read from the professionals on this site.
    My profession is medical, which is where I am confident in any advice I give, however rare it may be.
  5. plznobb

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Mon Oct 9 2017 23:29:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the response,

Now I have found this thing in my living room (it was not moving at all so it was probably dead).

https://imgur.com/a/byPIA

What is this thing? It looks like some kind of beetle but its different from those carpet beetle pictures I have seen.

I don't know if I should be relieved or not because the one I saw in bed was much smaller than that, and I also don't think that the head-shape of that one was quite the same.

I am just hoping that It wasn't the fan that blew it off and it just jumped, I would like to note again that although its flight was really short , it didn't looked like it fell off ,it did spend some time (at least few seconds) in the air before disappearing behind my bed through the left side.

6. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Oct 10 2017 4:42:06
    #

Login to Send PM

plznobb - 5 hours ago  » 
    Thanks for the response,
    Now I have found this thing in my living room (it was not moving at all so it was probably dead).
    https://imgur.com/a/byPIA
    What is this thing? It looks like some kind of beetle but its different from those carpet beetle pictures I have seen.
    I don't know if I should be relieved or not because the one I saw in bed was much smaller than that, and I also don't think that the head-shape of that one was quite the same.
    I am just hoping that It wasn't the fan that blew it off and it just jumped, I would like to note again that although its flight was really short , it didn't looked like it fell off ,it did spend some time (at least few seconds) in the air before disappearing behind my bed through the left side.

Not a beetle, but actually a true bug like a bed bug. Called a burrowing bug, family Cydnidae. These are outdoor bugs, but occasionally will be found crawling about indoors. Attracted to light. Adults have wings.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  7. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Oct 10 2017 4:46:34
    #

Login to Send PM

psychologically_messed_up - 8 hours ago  » 
    Carpet beetles do have wings and can fly (adults ones, anyway), and if your bed has natural fibers (like cotton sheets on it) then a carpet beetle could absolutely be on it. It’s not totally out of the question. Also, yes, a BB on your finger could be blown off in wind from a fan. They don’t have the best grip (hence wrapping items before moving them through your home), so falling off is easy for them.

The natural fiber has nothing to do with it. Carpet beetles will just be crawling or flying and can therefore land anywhere. Bed bugs have very good grips as it turns out. See some videos.

[+] Embed the videoGet the Flash Video

8. plznobb

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Oct 10 2017 6:00:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks a lot loubugs, I can't tell you how many species of beetles I've looked up since then.

The thing still is that there doesn't seem to be much information on this Bug, about sizes and stages. Like I said the one I saw in Bed was considerably smaller then this one but that one looked completely black too, If I try to guess then it was probably 3-3.5mm long. Though another thing is that these ones look considerably oval, a lot like BBs .

like I said this bug left some weird smell on my finger do BBs do that? And do BBs get blown away easily by the wind from the fan in your experience?

One again thanks a lot for your time.

9. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Oct 10 2017 9:53:06
    #

Login to Send PM

plznobb - 3 hours ago  » 
    Thanks a lot loubugs, I can't tell you how many species of beetles I've looked up since then.
    The thing still is that there doesn't seem to be much information on this Bug, about sizes and stages. Like I said the one I saw in Bed was considerably smaller then this one but that one looked completely black too, If I try to guess then it was probably 3-3.5mm long. Though another thing is that these ones look considerably oval, a lot like BBs .
    like I said this bug left some weird smell on my finger do BBs do that? And do BBs get blown away easily by the wind from the fan in your experience?
    One again thanks a lot for your time.

Immature cydnid bugs can be dark but often have lighter areas. Yes, true bugs in general produce chemicals and will have an odor. Some are stronger smelling than others. I don't know about any winds/fans. I've found that when wind is strong or if you blow on them, they lower body to surface not to be blown off. If you're quicker than they are, they don't get a good grip right away.

10. plznobb

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Thu Oct 12 2017 0:08:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for your input lou,

I found another one.

https://imgur.com/a/ApgDX

This one looks somewhat different from the other one, this was 4 mm long.

I think the evidence does support that bug on my bed was one of these things so I think I probably don't have BBs yet.

But I can't find much on their stages and sizes .

11. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 week ago
    Thu Oct 12 2017 9:23:50
    #

Login to Send PM

plznobb - 9 hours ago  » 
    Thanks for your input lou,
    I found another one.
    https://imgur.com/a/ApgDX
    This one looks somewhat different from the other one, this was 4 mm long.
    I think the evidence does support that bug on my bed was one of these things so I think I probably don't have BBs yet.
    But I can't find much on their stages and sizes .

You can see that it is an adult cydnid bug.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

265,567 posts in 43,045 topics over 129 months by 18,887 of 19,446 members. Latest: bugbedder, RDM16, UStraveler1234