WARRNING: Diatomaceous Earth DE powder(5 posts)
****** BE CAREFUL WITH DE!! ******
Although they say it is non toxic.
DE has an asbestos like fiber structure.
Wear a fine-particle chemical protection mask when handling DE and other pesticides!
Actually, per our FAQ on DE, experts recommend a respirator mask when applying DE.
NJ-Bites, I appreciate your enthusiasm but you are not an expert and should not be giving out DIY treatment advice. Please see your private messages.
Follow the label with any material you use to insure proper application and reduced risk. DE is a good low toxicity material when used properly.
DE does not have asbestos type fiber structure unless you are using the product manufactured for pool filters, the process produces crystalline structure in the diatomaceous earth powder. And you shouldn't be using it because its structure renders it useless for insect control, but perfect for producing damage to your lungs. The unfortunate result is that silicosis is similar to asbestosis. Now that I've corrected the statement, I will modify mine. There is a very slight percentage of crystalline DE in the food grade material that is used for pest control. The dust mask should be used when applying insecticidal dusts, no matter what insecticidal product you are using to minimize contact with your lungs and nasal passages.
Incidentally, many "cement" products, spackles, mortars and fillers contain the warning "contains crystalline silica". Based on that, I'd suspect that any environment that's had "work" done, plastering, tile floors, etc. has some residual crystalline silica floating around.
You must log in to post.