Walmart Mattress Covers

(8 posts)
  1. csprinsloo

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Aug 16 2010 7:48:39
    #

Login to Send PM

I want to get encasements for my box spring and mattress and have found that they are pretty expensive and i don't really have the money to pay for super expensive encasements. I found that my local Walmart has encasements for $30 each. It says on the website that they protect against dust mite allergens, pet dander, and pollen. It doesn't mention anything about bedbugs, so my question to all of you is would the Walmart encasements work for BBs or should i spend my money on something else?

Walmart Encasement
    This is the website of the company that makes the encasement i found on the Walmart website.
    Aller-Ease
    Please let me know what you all think. I'm quite new to the whole BB thing and i could really use some guidance.

Thanks.

2. Bug_Man_Dan

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Aug 16 2010 18:16:30
    #

Login to Send PM

If it doesn't say protection against bed bugs on the cover, I would pass. Most of those cheap covers are not solid, they have holes in some spots. Remember all it takes is the tinniest little rip, hole, seam or tear for them to get through. With a per room cost of 250-600$, not to mention lost sleep, serious mental anguish, and physical irritations....the proper covers really "pay for themselves" in a short time. Best advice from a pro, never cheap out on anything bed bug related. Good luck

3. Callisto

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Aug 16 2010 18:56:32
    #

Login to Send PM

My Mom recently bought one of the Protect-a-bed Allerzip encasements for the guest room in the house (read: my old bedroom), and I'm really impressed by how tough it is. It's impressed me enough that I'm seriously considering spending the money to encase my 13" mattress and 5.5" boxspring (somewhere in the neighbourhood of $300 CAD XP). If you do decide to go with the Walmart encasements, though, duct-taping over the zipper to prevent escapees would be a good idea, considering that they aren't rated for BBs.

Considering that $300 dollars is a lot of money, does anyone have any recommendations for brands other than the "Protect-a-bed"? There's a Canadian online retailer called "the allergy guy" that sells "Bugstop" brand encasements, and the total price for a set is over $100 less than for the allerzip. Does anyone have experience with this particular brand in regards to product quality? Here's a link:

http://www.theallergyguy.com/twin-bugstop-mattress-cover-39x75.html

4. csprinsloo

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Aug 16 2010 22:18:05
    #

Login to Send PM

I went to Walmart and found that they have Aller-Ease brand BB encasements. They sell for $45 each. I bought two and put them on my boxspring and mattress. I taped the zippers shut, even though they have a velcro flap that fits over the zipper end to prevent them from getting out. I also bought pillow encasements and also taped the zippers shut on them.

5. baltimore_paranoid

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Nov 14 2010 12:02:01
    #

Login to Send PM

csprinsloo - 2 months ago  » 
    I went to Walmart and found that they have Aller-Ease brand BB encasements. They sell for $45 each. I bought two and put them on my boxspring and mattress. I taped the zippers shut, even though they have a velcro flap that fits over the zipper end to prevent them from getting out. I also bought pillow encasements and also taped the zippers shut on them.

i bought the same exact encasement. the one at Walmart does indeed specifically say "Bed Bug / Allergy Protection." it's made by a company called Aller-Ease, and the construction is surprisingly good (based on how sturdy it was whilst encasing the mattress). the velcro zipper-cover gives peace of mind. p.s. i don't have bed bugs (that i know of). heh.

6. this means war

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Nov 14 2010 12:14:13
    #

Login to Send PM

My AllerEase encasements ripped when taking them off. The new ones ripped while putting them on. I did not experience rips with the first set, but I had someone help me put it on. I would advise you to have two people do it as it seemed easier that way. Just be careful, go slow, and don't force them. I'll be getting new cases when I get my new mattress (after second PCO treatment).

7. baltimore_paranoid

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Nov 14 2010 12:40:34
    #

Login to Send PM

yea, i was quite nervous about ripping (since i put it on by myself), so i went very slowly.

8. queenie

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Nov 14 2010 13:33:21
    #

Login to Send PM

When KillerQueen came to do an inspection and gave me the clear, he recommened the Protect-A-Bed Allerzip and Mattress Safe encasements. He told me that they have been proven scientifically to do the job. There is a link on this site to the mattress encasements studies with conclusions drawn from Richard Cooper: http://www.bedbugger.com/encasements/

Hope that this helps!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

190,714 posts in 29,319 topics over 90 months by 12,644 of 19,897 members. Latest: sarahackler, waitingforbyebugs, TroublesBehind