vinyl box springs cover rip way to easily

(5 posts)
  1. nomorebugs

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Nov 11 2007 15:33:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Everyone,

I bought some good quality vinyl box springs covers for my box springs. I think these things breach too easily. The bed frame has bolts and once the spring sit on the bolt, it' cuts a hole the the vinyl. Put there was small rips that I don't know how they got there. I was inspecting last night.

I heard it's best to prep the bed frame to pad those rough spots, didn't have time.

Would a woven mattress pad for the box spring be much better. I suspect so.

2. bugobsessed

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Nov 11 2007 16:56:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Nomo,

I double bagged mine and duct-taped around the sides and on the zipper. So far so good.

3. Bites44

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Nov 11 2007 22:22:06
    #

Login to Send PM

I am so frutstrated with the mattress covers, and so is my niece, that I made one for her. The bought vinyl mattress cover ripped in several places, so I finally got for myself cloth box spring and mattress covers (advertised to be bed bug proof -- I hope this is so) Some of the covers for dust mites that I saw for sale have stitches that are too far apart-- a nymph can get thro a very small space.

But I also made a cover. It cannot be removed, as there is no zipper. I got some very strong cloth, mostly made of nylon with a very fine weave. I glued 3 sides together using a glue gun and hot glue. Then we slipped the cover on the mattress, and glued the last side together. The cloth must be finely woven, so much so that you cannot see any spaces between the threads -- nylon is good. Then when glueing you have to be sure that there are no spaces at all where the glue is put down. It took me a whole day to make one. I also made a similar cover for a futon. If it works, maybe I'll start a shop.

4. nomorebugs

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Nov 11 2007 22:49:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Wow. That's going all out.

I was so surprised how easily the vinyl covers can tear. Actually all this has been hashed out before. On this site and an another site. I'm placing some faith in the woven cloth covers.

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Nov 12 2007 1:20:12
    #

Login to Send PM

I really don't recommend the vinyl for this reason. I used three, all of which tore or developed holes, before I broke down and got a good cloth/polyurethene one.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

191,265 posts in 29,422 topics over 90 months by 12,691 of 19,952 members. Latest: IvyGreene, Shawna weaver, SFgirl2345