Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Vinegar To Dry Out Bed Bugs?

(11 posts)
  1. Sleepless in NYC

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Dec 7 2010 2:57:38
    #

Login to Send PM

This probably sounds ridiculous, but my friend told me that he thought that Vinegar would dry out bbs and kill them. Does that sound as ridiculous as I think?

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Dec 7 2010 8:02:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I would stick to 95% alcohol as a contact killer, it's less likely to make your home smell like a fish and chip shop.

I very much doubt that vinegar or acetic acid would have any residual affect at all.

David

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bedbug infestations in domestic and commercial settings. The patent numbers are GB2463953 and GB2470307.

"Astral Entomologist - because so many people say my ideas are out of this world"
  3. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Dec 7 2010 9:35:25
    #

Login to Send PM

I really wish we had an exhaustive list of contact killers. This would reduce the panic over getting that "one" chemical that will do the job, if there's already something that works under the kitchen sink. Plus, people could choose what was safest for the surface being treated.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Dec 7 2010 10:20:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Its not extensive but you dont need it to be longer than 95% alcohol or 100% water.

The best contact killer of all is of course sticky tape, dab the bedbug to it and stick it down on a piece of paper along with the date, time and location found.

Could not agree more with the idea of keeping it simple and cost effective - its also an added bonus if it has no chemical action that they could eventually become tolerant of.

Hope that helps.

David

5. parakeets

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Dec 7 2010 11:03:46
    #

Login to Send PM

At a bed bug conference I went to, the experts said almost anything could kill bed bugs on contact. They agreed the alcohol was a contact killer, but many other things would kill on contact, too. They said this meant that a lot of products on the market that were sold as "being able to kill bed bugs on contact" were no better than alcohol. They said that the contact killers weren't effective for eliminating bed bugs since bed bugs hid so you couldn't see them to kill them on contact and there was no residual effect from the contact killers.

6. rangichangi

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Dec 7 2010 20:20:48
    #

Login to Send PM

In my desperation to find a bird-friendly contact killer I bought this ELF spray 3 weeks ago - it smells suspiciously like vinegar.

7. rangichangi

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Dec 7 2010 20:23:55
    #

Login to Send PM

parakeets - 9 hours ago  » 
    At a bed bug conference I went to, the experts said almost anything could kill bed bugs on contact. They agreed the alcohol was a contact killer, but many other things would kill on contact, too. They said this meant that a lot of products on the market that were sold as "being able to kill bed bugs on contact" were no better than alcohol. They said that the contact killers weren't effective for eliminating bed bugs since bed bugs hid so you couldn't see them to kill them on contact and there was no residual effect from the contact killers.

So would 70% vs. 91% really make a difference? All of the drugstores in my area only carry 70%. At this point in my case contact killers are irrelevant since we have not seen any live bugs in over a week - sprayed my futon frame with the ELF but didn't see any bbs coming out of it.

8. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Dec 7 2010 20:39:12
    #

Login to Send PM

rangichangi - 7 minutes ago  » 
    In my desperation to find a bird-friendly contact killer I bought this ELF spray 3 weeks ago - it smells suspiciously like vinegar.

That would not be surprising. Many over the counter sprays are based on commonly available ingredients, like detergent, with herbs and spices added. They are probably fine as contact killers, unclear what the oils or spices add. A good way to learn what's in a product is the ingredient panel or the material safety data sheet, on the manufacturers web site, or search the product name and "MSDS". "Sodium Lauryl Sulfate" is detergent. "Acetic Acid" is vinegar.

9. Sleepless in NYC

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Dec 7 2010 21:31:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for everyone's input!

10. rangichangi

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Dec 7 2010 22:45:14
    #

Login to Send PM

cilecto - 2 hours ago  » 

rangichangi - 7 minutes ago  » 

That would not be surprising. Many over the counter sprays are based on commonly available ingredients, like detergent, with herbs and spices added. They are probably fine as contact killers, unclear what the oils or spices add. A good way to learn what's in a product is the ingredient panel or the material safety data sheet, on the manufacturers web site, or search the product name and "MSDS". "Sodium Lauryl Sulfate" is detergent. "Acetic Acid" is vinegar.

Yep, you are right on both ingredients - I checked ELF's Amazon page and the ingredients are: "NATURAL ENZYMES, SODIUM LAURYL SUFATE 2.97%, NATURAL ENZYMES, filtered water, acetic acid"

11. nycyn

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Dec 8 2010 0:09:02
    #

Login to Send PM

I buy white vinegar by the gallons when I can. I use it as a cleaner and drain clearer (along with baking soda) for nearly everything really. I don't buy and products such as Mr Clean or Windex or Drano if you get my drift.

I'm not sure at the moment but vinegar may be a dust mite antedote, again--not sure--and is supposed to be a flea repellant.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.