Video of a dry steam treatment

(15 posts)
  1. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Jan 10 2011 10:21:54
    #

Login to Send PM

The new video I made (with a little help, etc...)

[+] Embed the videoGet the Video Plugin

2. rs1971

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Jan 10 2011 15:46:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks. That was an interesting video. Honestly, it looks like something someone could do on their own pretty easily, though I'm sure experience is an important factor in figuring out *where* exactly to steam. How hot is the steam? Judging by how close you let your free hand get to the nozzle at certain points, it must not be as hot as I'd have expected.

-rs1971

3. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Jan 10 2011 15:59:23
    #

Login to Send PM

The steam is 180° C at the nozzle. The working distance is about 5-6 cm.

4. victimized

new username: help_me

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Jan 10 2011 17:02:24
    #

Login to Send PM

EffeCi,
    Do you steam at 180 for a particular reason as opposed to a higher temp or is that just what the temp was on the machine? I imagine perhaps because it is still lethal temp but not too hot to cause much damage.

Curious because I just purchased a commercial steamer that gets super hot (250-290). Was also advised against steaming baseboard and such but thought because the steam is instant death it would be effective. Any advice/ What about crown moulding where there are no openings in the wall behind it? That's a cute steamer.

5. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Jan 10 2011 17:10:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Victimized: Do you steam at 180 for a particular reason as opposed to a higher temp or is that just what the temp was on the machine?
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    180 degrees Celsius = 356 degrees Fahrenheit

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Jan 10 2011 17:24:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi EffeCi!

Wonderful video, as always. Your videos are always well produced.

I added it to the Steam FAQ, with a link back here.

Thanks for sharing it with us!

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  7. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Jan 10 2011 17:24:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Effi,

Thanks for the informative video!

I know from past posts that you are a big fan of steam and in fact my understanding is that you use it exclusively in your bed bug business.

Assuming that you've tried more than one type of steamer, I have a few questions about the Polti Vaporetto pictured in the video using the Steam Disinfector attachment.

(1) How would you compare the Steam Disinfector attachment to the conventional triangular attachment (usually covered with cloth/towel) that most PCO's use in this country? Specifically do you find it more effective? Faster to use? My own observation is that the triangular attachment has a larger surface area than your attachement, however it is used slower -- perhaps because of the higher tip temperature of the Steam Disinfector attachment?

(2) Since the tip temperature is 356 degrees Fahrenheit, have you had any problems with damage to wood, plastic, bed linens, etc.?

(3) Curious about how you handled the light sockets. I'm assuming the bag you placed over the wired connections was waterproof and you were just using the steam in this instance for heat alone? I mention this because we have been warned about using steam where wires are concerned so maybe you can elaborate on how you use the machine in this instance.

(4) Do you know if this would be a good attachment to use for dust mites in bedding or carpeting?

Thanks for any help.

Richard

8. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Jan 10 2011 18:15:47
    #

Login to Send PM

I know from past posts that you are a big fan of steam and in fact my understanding is that you use it exclusively in your bed bug business.

Yes, that's true, I'm using only dry steam since november 2009, when I was contacted by Polti to test the effectiveness fo their dry-steam machines vs. BBs.

How would you compare the Steam Disinfector attachment to the conventional triangular attachment (usually covered with cloth/towel) that most PCO's use in this country?

The conventional attachment uses "wet" steam... It's a slow, wet way to kill BBs.

Specifically do you find it more effective? Faster to use?

Both. An exposition of 1/10 sec to dry steam flush is enough to kill BBs or their eggs.

Since the tip temperature is 356 degrees Fahrenheit, have you had any problems with damage to wood, plastic, bed linens, etc.?

No, the exposition to heat is too short to damage items.

Curious about how you handled the light sockets.

Italian way to solve a problem...lol

I'm assuming the bag you placed over the wired connections was waterproof and you were just using the steam in this instance for heat alone?

You're right... I have one or two more tricks to treat sockets, but that one is the simplest and the fastest.

Do you know if this would be a good attachment to use for dust mites in bedding or carpeting?

I think it should be effective against mites too...

9. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Jan 10 2011 19:50:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi EffeCi,

Which model is that Polti steamer you are using? The attachment is fascinating.

Do you have any experience of the Polti Vaporetto 1030R (shown here)?

Also, good questions, Richard!

10. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Jan 10 2011 21:02:22
    #

Login to Send PM

NB: Which model is that Polti steamer you are using? The attachment is fascinating.
    ---------------------------
    The video appears to feature the "2600" model, which is toward the upper end of the line, but not one of their very top continuous refill machines. Perhaps continuous refill is not needed with the special "Steam Disinfector" attachment (I'm sure Effi will comment here) that makes the process different than what we're used to seeing with the more standard triangular attachments that are packaged with other steamers. With the triangular attachement, a cloth or towel is placed at the steam outlet and the attachment is moved slowly along the surface of the area being treated. With the Steam Disenfector, the attachement is held a few cm away from the surface and moved quite rapidly. According to the web site, the "Steam Disinfector" attachment will work with any of the Vaporetto models but not with other brands.

http://www.polti.it/en/catalog/consumer/66/100

http://www.polti.it/en/catalog/consumer/195/330

11. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Jan 11 2011 8:07:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Richard is right : the vaporetto in the video is model 2600.

Perhaps continuous refill is not needed with the special "Steam Disinfector" attachment (I'm sure Effi will comment here)

"Effi"?
    Right again. The inner tank is filled up with 2,0 liters of water, and lets you treat one-two rooms (depending from situation and infestation's level) without refilling. Refill operation needs a waste of time of 5-6 minutes, and that's not so bad after 2-3 hours of continuous hard work... :D.

According to the web site, the "Steam Disinfector" attachment will work with any of the Vaporetto models but not with other brands.

Yeah. There are two "models" of Steam Disinfector. The first fits with Vaporetto line, the second with Lecoaspira line. Sockets are completely differents.
    Lecoaspira is bigger and heavier than Vaporetto, but with it you can also vacuum (with water and EPA filter) or combine vacuuming and wet steaming. But the steamer tank is only 1/2 liter and has to be refilled very often (it takes just half a minute).

Do you have any experience of the Polti Vaporetto 1030R (shown here)?

Er... no.
    But if the socket is a 5-pins one, it may be used with Steam Disinfector...
    Every Polti steam machine is a" wet" steam one. Is the "Steam Disinfector" attachment that changes 100°C wet steam into 180°C dry steam.

The cost of Steam Disinfector attachment in Italy is about 400 €. The price of the steam machine may vary from less than 300€ (Vaporetto) to more than 600 € (Lecoaspira).

12. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Jan 11 2011 11:32:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Every Polti steam machine is a" wet" steam one. Is the "Steam Disinfector" attachment that changes 100°C wet steam into 180°C dry steam.
    -------------------
    EffE,

Interesting comment. Recently we had a thread here where some complained that their "dry vapor" steamer actually was somewhat wet. The replies suggested that there was no such thing as a "dry" vapor steamer, just some steamers are dryer than others. That said, none of the machines referred to came near 180°C at the tip.

The standard Polti machine (without the disinfector attachment) at 100°C actually falls into the ball park tip temperature of "dry steam" machines sold here in the U.S. such as the Ladybug or Vapamore. With the attachment it puts the Vaporetto into what seems like an entirely different category.

Richard

13. Sleepless in NYC

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Jan 11 2011 17:16:42
    #

Login to Send PM

I wish it was more affordable and/or pcos would buy that machine here. it seems like a great solution to be able to use steam exclusively vs having to combine use of steam and chemicals.

14. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Jan 12 2011 9:43:58
    #

Login to Send PM

With the attachment it puts the Vaporetto into what seems like an entirely different category.

Yeah... the attachment turns Vaporetto from a wet steam cleaner to a dry steam home sterilizer (and BBs killer ;-))...

15. VictoryIsMine

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Nov 20 2011 18:41:54
    #

Login to Send PM

I want one.

When is it coming to the U.S., and how much is it? (Current price in Europe.)

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,903 posts in 50,059 topics over 155 months by 21,883 of 22,370 members. Latest: Mary Borges, Pleasebegone2019, aims6186