Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

very small black jumping bug

(9 posts)
  1. dirk

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Sun Mar 24 2013 19:54:55
    #

Login to Send PM

I know this is not really about bed bugs, but since I've got some mysterious 'bites', I want to try to figure out the cause.

Today I found a tiny black bug that can move and jump really fast. By tiny, I mean its length was around 1mm, and its width was much smaller than that. It can jump and move so fast that I was not able to catch it.

What are the bugs that fit these categories? I also suspected that they caused the bites which were solely on my legs and my feet. At first I thought it is a flea, but I am not sure that it is this small.

Thanks.

2. rs1971

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Sun Mar 24 2013 20:14:03
    #

Login to Send PM

One mm is smallish for a flea but since you couldn't even catch one, I'd guess that that is probably a rough estimation. Anyway, based on your description (jumping, bites on your feet, legs) fleas do sound like they fit the bill.

3. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Sun Mar 24 2013 20:47:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear dirk,

Sounds like fleas.

Are there any pets ?

If no pets, have you had any wild animal problems in your home such as nesting of squirrels, raccoons, or other such animals ?

You can build a self fashioned flea trap quite easily which will tell you fairly quickly if it's fleas.

Hope this helps ! paul b.

As a consulting entomologist I provide services for entities such as property managers, health/housing/emergency depts, schools, hospitality/resort/cruise industry, homeowners, food service, retail, pest professionals & product manufacturers. I recommend only efficacious methodologies, products and equipment. Professional relations have included Actisol, AMVAC, Atrix, BASF, Bayer, Catchmaster, FMC, GMT, Eaton, MattressSafe, Nisus, ProTeam, Rockwell, Syngenta & Woodstream. No compensation for product sales occurs. As inventor of Knight Safe bed bug sleep tent provides a royalty.
  4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 1 year ago
    Sun Mar 24 2013 22:54:11
    #

Login to Send PM

P Bello - 2 hours ago  » 

You can build a self fashioned flea trap quite easily which will tell you fairly quickly if it's fleas.
    Hope this helps !

And you can read about that in this FAQ:
    http://bedbugger.com/2012/11/09/faq-do-i-have-fleas-or-bed-bugs/

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  5. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Mar 25 2013 8:04:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear nobugs,

Please add the follwoing "flea-ology" to the Flea FAQ:

Even a house without pets can have fleas. While fleas are usually associated with pet cats or dogs in the house, it is not uncommon for a home to have fleas even though there are no pets present. This can occur when pest animals have nested in the home. Animals such as mice, rats, squirrels, oposums, raccoons and others can have fleas. These animals can nest in a home undetected for a period of time. And, since they're wild animals that are not being attended to for their fleas, the flea population can grow over time. These fleas then become numerous and may travel for various reasons into the living space of the home to become problematic for the human residents. Over the years we have seen such circumstances where oppossums were nesting undetected by the homeowner in an inaccessible crawl space under the home. In another situation a family of raccoons were nesting above a basement drop ceiling undetected. At yet another home we trapped out over twenty squirrels and six oppossums from the same attic. While all these vertebrate pest situations brought fleas into the home where they nested, we also need to remember that it was the oriental rat flea, which helped spread plague which killed about 25% of the world's known population during the 1300s.

Additionally, many homeowners returning from a trip may be surprised by hundreds of fleas when they return home. This is so because developing fleas that have matured in their pupal cases often lay in wait protected within these pupal cases in the absence of suitable hosts. These fleas can lay in wait within these cases a surprising legnth of time. When the people return home the hungry fleas emerge.

Numerous fleas may be removed immediately via thorough vacuuming and it is possible to remediate a flea population with repetive vacuuming and/or carpet cleaning in combination with addressing the flea source be it pet or vertabrate pest. If pets are present it is important that the pets are inspected and treated suitably for fleas and that all areas where the pets may rest or sleep are inspected and treated as well. This is often problematic with cats because they may sleep in many areas of the home which may be difficult to locate or identify. Various chemical free type powders may be used to treat for fleas as well but these powders work relatively slowly when compared to more traditional type insecticide products.

Hope this helps ! paul b.

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Mar 25 2013 14:04:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Paul,
    Thanks-- very helpful!

I added the info on fleas and where they come from to the first part of the FAQ and the info on how to eliminate them to the last part. I omitted the first sentence because it was already very clearly stated that you don't have to have pets to have fleas. And I made minor changes to spelling and punctuation. (Opossum, that fabulous word, has one "p"!)

Thanks again, it's looking good I think: http://bedbugger.com/2012/11/09/faq-do-i-have-fleas-or-bed-bugs/

7. dirk

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Mar 25 2013 21:14:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you all for the replies. I will set a flea trap and see if it will catch any fleas.

And no, my housemates and I do not have any pets, although there are a few squirrels near our house (I usually see a few of them during the day).

I don't know if this is relevant, but I began to have these bites since the beginning of the spring (around 15 th March in southern California). Is this the time when bugs (such as fleas) become more active?

Also, a few more questions:
    - Apart from carpet, are there other places that fleas can live in?
    - How often does a flea bite?

Thank you.

Update: I managed to catch a bug biting on my foot.
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/109904525/2013-03-25%2018.51.16.jpg
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/109904525/2013-03-25%2018.57.01.jpg

The photo might be a bit distorted, because I squeezed it quite hard. I think it does look like a flea.

8. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Mar 25 2013 23:39:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear dirk,

Yupperooni, that's definitely an effin flea !

And by the looks of it, I'd say that flea is effed for sure. : )

If there's fleas, they're usually there do to some animal activity as noted above. As such, you should check your attic, basement, crawl space or any other such areas where you may mave a vertabrate pest present/nesting.

Yes, fleas do not necessarily ned to be in carpeted areas alone. I've seen them be present in large numbers on basement concrete floors, wood floors and just about every room in the house frequented by pets and animals.

If you create the traps, place them in various rooms where you suspect fleas. Those traps that have the greatest number of fleas are likely nearest the flea population focal point.

Let me know if any additional questions or concerns ! paul b.

9. dirk

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Mar 26 2013 22:10:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear Paul,

Thank you for your advice. The flea trap has caught a flea during the last 24 hours. Unfortunately, my housemates are not back yet, and I will need to travel soon, so I will have to leave this flea problem for a while. But at least I am relieved that it was not bed bugs, because they were just a nightmare.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.