Vacuuming after treatment?

(5 posts)
  1. meliss1a

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Oct 11 2007 14:53:33
    #

Login to Send PM

how soon after treatment can i vacuum? I am concerned about my cat walking around on the dried chemicals, then licking her paws.
    And any suggestions for keeping my cat from clawing at / tearing a hole in my (pricey) mattress covers?

2. buggeroff

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Oct 11 2007 15:51:12
    #

Login to Send PM

I put a regular cotton mattress pad over my bugproof one and sat a carpet-covered scratching/climbing thing next to (not touching) the bed. The cat jumps onto the bed in two hops and doesn't need to use claws to land securely. You might also blunt the cat's claws with a nail clipper, but be careful just to trim the very tip. Cutting too far will nick a blood vessel and risk a nail bed infection, which can be a life-threatening thing.

You can't vacuum up the spray residual. If you want that off, you have to wash it. But as long as it's working, you should leave it there to kills bed bugs. It shouldn't get on the cat unless the cat has wet feet (from the bathroom or outdoors or something) and, even then, not in large enough quantities to be a hazard. This is worth discussing with your PCO.

If you're talking about DE or insecticidal dust, you can vacuum it up tomorrow, but it doesn't work very well in the vacuum cleaner. To kill bugs, it has to be out where can come into contact with it. If it's Drione and it's out where the cat can walk in it, I'd say the lesser of two evils is to wash it up. No PCO I talked to would use it around my cat. If it's puffed around closet baseboards, inside the dresser or inside electrical outlets, the cat probably won't get into it, so you could leave it there.

I have no idea whether DE is troublesome in a cat's digestive system. It might be - also worth a chat with the PCO.

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Oct 12 2007 2:31:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Meliss1a,

Are you using a PCO? Have you asked them?

Which pesticide have you used?
    Even if it is DE, there are different kinds. It is important to know what you are dealing with.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. meliss1a

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Oct 12 2007 9:57:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Nobugsonme
    I am using a PCO - but he is not very bright. The first round my neighbors cat got sick after he said it would be okay to bring in home. There are the chemicals they used (pardon my spelling)

250 propoxor, demand cs, gentrol

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Oct 12 2007 19:17:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Meliss1a,
    I would go to thebedbugresource.com, a site run by Sean and frequented by PCOs, and hit them with any questions you have on the chemicals and vacuuming. If none of the substances used were powders, it might be more of a problem. Still, I would go with what your PCO says, or at least what Sean and co. say.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.