Utterly broken

(38 posts)
  1. kellycc1976

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Fri Sep 8 2017 13:07:02
    #

Login to Send PM

I stayed at a hotel two weekends ago, and I got bit by bed bugs and unbeknownst to me, brought them home. And because I didn't know. I didn't treat my luggage or my clothes appropriately and now they, the bed bugs, live here with me. I would be frustrated just having them of course, but I am highly allergic. In only two weeks, I find myself on a second round of antibiotics. I desperately tried to self treat after reading hundreds of posts and articles. So far, nothing seems to be working. I know I'm going to have to call a professional in but my apartment is full of clutter. A lot of it. And I know I have no hope of success unless I de-clutter. And it will probably take me a few weeks to get through everything. All the while, getting bit and having violent allergic reactions. And I can't go anywhere else as I could spread them. I'm desperate and broken. Is crying daily mandatory when you have bed bugs? Apparently.

2. psychologically_messed_up

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Fri Sep 8 2017 14:31:06
    #

Login to Send PM

I know it seems like an impossible task, but just take it one room, one area, one bag at a time. Go through the clutter and ask yourself 'when did I use this last? Do I think I'll need it again in the near future?' If you haven't touched it in 6-12 months or more, toss it. If you don't think you'll use it again in 6 months, toss it. If it's sentimental and cannot be replaced, bag it and store it.

You CAN do this! I promise! It takes time, effort, determination, a loss of some sanity, and a couple tears, but you CAN beat this!! Sleepless nights are kinda par for the course, so maybe try some melatonin or something. It won't keep you from getting bit, but you need sleep in order to function properly.

Try sleeping in tight, long sleeves, tucked in to tight leggings/long johns, tucked in to big socks. The less exposed skin, the better. But you can do it!!!

"When you hear hoofbeats, think horses not zebras" Theodore Woodward

I am, by no means, a pro. I'm simply a person that has had unfortunate luck, and somehow acquired the little guys.
    Any/all 'advice' I have to share is based on my own personal history and/or things I've read from the professionals on this site.
  3. psychologically_messed_up

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Fri Sep 8 2017 14:32:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Have you gotten Diatomaceous Earth or Cimexa? I don't know where you live- Cimexa isn't available everywhere. It could help while you're cleaning and waiting for a pro?

4. kellycc1976

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Fri Sep 8 2017 19:06:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you. That does help. And I know you're right. Rationally, I know this. I know it's possible and I'll just tackle one room at a time. But the frantic terrified side of me feels that time is of the essence and I'll lose time as I declutter. At the end of the month, I'm going on a cruise. Am I going to spread them on the boat? Can I even go visit my family at their homes currently? Are my upcoming holiday decorations out of commission for two years as they stay bagged and binned up? I don't want to put others through what I'm going through. But how long can I go without seeing family/friends or going on preplanned vacations?

5. kellycc1976

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Fri Sep 8 2017 19:07:44
    #

Login to Send PM

psychologically_messed_up - 4 hours ago  » 
    Have you gotten Diatomaceous Earth or Cimexa? I don't know where you live- Cimexa isn't available everywhere. It could help while you're cleaning and waiting for a pro?

I did! I bought both. I used the Diatomaceous Earth and the Cimexa arrives via Amazon tomorrow. Do they have success rates? Thank you!!

6. Combatcat

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Fri Sep 8 2017 19:32:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Theyve sprayed my apartment twice now.... and i had tons of clutter in my storage. I mean tons.
    Old photos, art books, letters from my family, christmas stuff.
    In the end i asked myself... what's more important to me, my health and safety or this stuff?
    I picked my safety and gutted the whole place.

Call the professionals NOW and start cleaning!
    Dont wait.... its worth it

7. psychologically_messed_up

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Fri Sep 8 2017 22:42:38
    #

Login to Send PM

kellycc1976 - 3 hours ago  » 

I did! I bought both. I used the Diatomaceous Earth and the Cimexa arrives via Amazon tomorrow. Do they have success rates? Thank you!!

They're both amazing! I went with DE because it was readily available at Home Depot, and I was far too impatient to wait for Amazon or other sites to deliver the CimeXa. I tied a bandana around my face, put some rubber gloves on, and gently sprinkled around the perimeter of rooms, between mattress and box springs, on the mattresses before encasing (overkill- didn't care!), on windowsills, around outlets and switches (with an old kabuki brush), on the carpet around the bed, on a chair that had signs of BB's, and then very lightly on/around/in all my boots. I had them all tossed in the corner between my bed and dresser for summer, and wanted to be sure nothing lived in my Uggs and snow boots lol!

I'll add to this- I didn't have money for a professional. I found, inspected, cleaned, and treated everything myself. My 'tools' were the above mentioned bag of DE, a couple cans of contact killer spray from the hardware store, a couple lint rollers, a ton of 91% isopropyl alcohol, time, patience, determination, and sanity. But I got through it- and before this, my house was a cluttered disaster. We're 5 people in a very small house with no closets, so there was crap everywhere! If I can do it, with little help from my spouse (who doesn't seem to care if we coexist with BB's), anyone can!

8. kellycc1976

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sat Sep 9 2017 2:37:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Combatcat - 6 hours ago  » 
    Theyve sprayed my apartment twice now.... and i had tons of clutter in my storage. I mean tons.
    Old photos, art books, letters from my family, christmas stuff.
    In the end i asked myself... what's more important to me, my health and safety or this stuff?
    I picked my safety and gutted the whole place.
    Call the professionals NOW and start cleaning!
    Dont wait.... its worth it

I'm scared that between bedbugs and my clutter, the apartment will kick me out. I know I'm overreacting as my place is not awful. It's not hoarding at all. And except for one junk room, it can be mostly cleaned up or de-clutteredi n one weekend, which we're doing this weekend. But the junk room is daunting. I would need a few weeks. And I'm willing to give up a lot, but not everything. I won't give up photos or family holiday ornaments. So I was trying to self treat until I can get the place decluttered and not risk any problems with our complex, and not simply throw everything out.

9. kellycc1976

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sat Sep 9 2017 2:41:31
    #

Login to Send PM

psychologically_messed_up - 3 hours ago  » 

kellycc1976 - 3 hours ago  » 

They're both amazing! I went with DE because it was readily available at Home Depot, and I was far too impatient to wait for Amazon or other sites to deliver the CimeXa. I tied a bandana around my face, put some rubber gloves on, and gently sprinkled around the perimeter of rooms, between mattress and box springs, on the mattresses before encasing (overkill- didn't care!), on windowsills, around outlets and switches (with an old kabuki brush), on the carpet around the bed, on a chair that had signs of BB's, and then very lightly on/around/in all my boots. I had them all tossed in the corner between my bed and dresser for summer, and wanted to be sure nothing lived in my Uggs and snow boots lol!
    I'll add to this- I didn't have money for a professional. I found, inspected, cleaned, and treated everything myself. My 'tools' were the above mentioned bag of DE, a couple cans of contact killer spray from the hardware store, a couple lint rollers, a ton of 91% isopropyl alcohol, time, patience, determination, and sanity. But I got through it- and before this, my house was a cluttered disaster. We're 5 people in a very small house with no closets, so there was crap everywhere! If I can do it, with little help from my spouse (who doesn't seem to care if we coexist with BB's), anyone can!

You sound like you had a very similar situation to my current one. . How long did it take you? And what did you use the alcohol for? Cleaning individual items? Do I have to assume all Christmas gifts I purchased are lost? I bought Uggs for my niece's which are in my hall closet. I didn't even think of that until you mentioned yours.

10. psychologically_messed_up

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sat Sep 9 2017 6:15:03
    #

Login to Send PM

The alcohol is a desiccant- it dries out and immediately kills bugs. I kept a spray bottle of it with me at all times and sprayed anything I saw move. I also sprayed all harborage areas I found in hopes that eggs would be dried out too. I also used it to clean wooden side tables and once or twice sprayed myself in a desperate attempt to stop itching.

My bed bug situation.... I don't know when it actually started, but when I admitted to myself what it was and seriously threw myself into treatment was July 24, 2017. I kept a daily journal of everything I saw, what I did to treat, new bites I had, etc.

Christmas gifts.... that's a tough one. Are they in an area that you know has them? My boots were shoved in a corner next to my bed, touching the bed skirt. I never saw any bugs on them, but it was touching a skirt on a bed with known harborage areas (my ground zero was the living room couch, not my bed- they were brought to the bed from a pillow/blanket that has been on the couch bed).

11. kellycc1976

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sat Sep 9 2017 13:45:46
    #

Login to Send PM

UPDATE #1

The Christmas gifts are in a Hall closet. I found one live, adult bed bug in my Master bathroom and one dead tiny bed bug in my lint trap after drying my bedding. I seem to get bit at night. So I want to say the problem is in my master bedroom and bath. However, some of my clothes from the trip to Minneapolis remained in our living room along with our suitcase after unpacking. And we feel very confident that we brought these home from the hotel in Minneapolis. So I wouldn't be surprised if the B.B.s are in the living room and/or in the couch too. And the Hall closet is between the two possibly compromisesd locations. It will be a loss in the high hundreds if I can't give these gifts. Which hurts a lot. However, one potential bright spot about the couch. It's ancient. I don't mind throwing it away. When we get to the living room, I'm going to bag up the couch in giant plastic bags and spray paint bed bugs on it and put it in our apartments largest dumpster (one that goes directly to the dump). And there's almost nothing else in that room. So hopefully that will make it an easy room to conquer.

Last night I slept in sleep pants, which were pegged at my calves, with knee high socks over the pant legs and my shirt tucked in. While I have received a few, only slightly-inflamed bites on my under arms, the B.B.s seem to primarily seem to focus on my back and legs. And my legs are what show the violent reaction. As a result of my covering last night, today's the first day I didn't wake up with more bites. I in no way think I've conquered them yet, but at least I know I can sleep with some peace of mind. And that helps. Today we're pulling apart and decluttering our entire Master bedroom, closet and bath. This is about half of the house that will need to be done. Hopefully that helps me quiet my anxiety and hopelessness. More updates to come. My eye is on the prize...Visiting family in no more than a month and going on our cruise at the end of the month and not infest anyone or anything else.

12. psychologically_messed_up

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sat Sep 9 2017 15:00:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Just be sure to wrap or bag items as you move them through the house so nothing falls out and finds a new home in a previously unaffected area- even laundry... I bagged it where it lay, tied it up, and carried the bag to the washer to clean. I was always super careful when remaking the beds, too, as my habit is to flick the sheets and blankets across the mattress... I was gently unfolding and never letting anything touch the ground.

As for the couch- many people say you don't have to throw things away. I did. My couch is outside in pieces (ikea couch) that I've put to the curb 1 piece at a time so no one would take it home. (Once outside, I emptied 2 cans of Hot Shot contact killer on every piece- but I have a couple acres, and doubt the bugs went searching for new homes. They have deer and raccoons if they survived) It made me feel better knowing our ground zero was just gone. We haven't had a couch during this whole thing- kids love the extra space to play lol.

I, for one, will look forward to seeing your updates!! Feel free to PM me, too... I know it's nice to have someone to talk to about all this that isn't judging you in the least, because they've been there!

13. kellycc1976

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sat Sep 9 2017 23:16:14
    #

Login to Send PM

You have no idea how helpful this is. Today is the first day in a week I haven't felt utterly broken. No tears today. Lol. Not getting bit last night helped my morale a lot. I can handle hard work, but I couldn't physically handle the allergic reaction. At its worse, I spiked a fever and my legs were significantly swollen. That was last week before I truly understood what was going on.

UPDATE #2
    The bedroom has been completely dismantled. Everything has been wiped down (except for the bed) and everything is bagged and everything is vacuumed (including the bed). The entire room has been dusted with Cimexa. I still have to clean and treat and vacuum the bathroom and closet but the first major step is done. The daily washing of the sheets is going currently. I am careful about moving trash out, but I haven't been careful enough about clothes. That's an excellent point. So I'll make sure all laundry is now in bags and will be transported to the laundry room that way. Thank you for that suggestion.

I was going to throw the couch away regardless. It's ridiculously old. This just motivates me to get it out. However, while I am willing to live without a couch, my spouse is not for longer than a day or two. So I'll have to get it out and get the living treated thoroughly. It scares me to move in new furniture until I know this is over but Iwill just have deal with that.

Tonight I'll finish all of the Master rooms. I wanted to do the laundry room too but I don't think I'll get to it. Tomorrow will be the laundry room and round one of the living room.

As for the junk room, we decided to bin up everything that isn't currently in a bin (and that can withstand heat) and put it in a storage unit for two years. That means no Christmas decorations or Halloween decorations, but that will guarantee those items are clean. I live in Phoenix, so two years in a storage unit without AC will get hot. However, I'm not doing it to heat treat these bins. I'm doing it to starve the B.Bs. The heat is just a matter of consideration for anything I don't want to get ruined or melted. For anything that can't withstand heat, I'll wipe it down or launder it or treat with Cimexa. I hope that is sufficient. And after all that, if I see anything new, I'll call the property management company for a POC. And I will keep updating this. If we both can conquer them ourselves, in homes full of life (aka clutter), that might be really encouraging for others. I'm encouraged myself by the prospect. Today I am not utterly broken.

14. psychologically_messed_up

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sat Sep 9 2017 23:20:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Yay!!!! Yours is the best post I've read today! I remember the day I felt the way you do currently- where, for the first time in days/weeks, I felt alive and like I could conquer the world! It's an incredible feeling!

I'll look forward to reading more as the days and weeks go on!

15. kellycc1976

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sun Sep 10 2017 1:52:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you!! I appreciate the positive feedback. More updates to come tomorrow! I have my positive attitude back. Thank gosh I was so allergic. Because I was, we have known since day one that we had something we had to address. It could have gotten really out of control otherwise. Thank goodness for the one I found in my laundry basket or I would have talked myself out of believing it was bed bugs. I would have assumed allergic reaction or something at work. And thank goodness for this forum. I've learned so much. And all of that together I hope turns the tide in my favor. I have never hated a bug so violently. Fingers crossed the Cimexa is as good as the reviews. But even if not, I'll get them.

16. kellycc1976

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sun Sep 10 2017 22:19:14
    #

Login to Send PM

UPDATE #3
    Last night I covered myself heavily again and as a result, this is now two days in a row with no new bites. Yay!

A word of caution from treating our room yesterday...the Cimexa that we treated our bedroom with last night really dries out your skin. I'd recommend not only a mask, but gloves too. It soaks the moisture right out of your skin and makes it dry and red. But I picture it doing that to the B.B.s too and it brings me great satisfaction.

We worked on the living room today. The living room has the suitcase in it, which was brought back from Minneapolis, where we think we encountered the bed bugs to begin with. So we emptied its contents (toiletries) into ziplock bags, and then treated the suitcase with cimexa and ecoraider and double bagged it and tapped it up. Plus we treated the entire room and carpets with Cimexa and ecoraider. I thought the living room would be easier than the bedroom, but it's much harder as the furniture is a lot heavier. In our bedroom I have a bed and some very light shelves and that's it. In the living room I have a sectional and a tv stand and an ottoman full of DVDs. But we bagged a majority of our stuff. I'd say this room is about half done, maybe more. I'm at thirty bags of items thrown away. Suddenly, things aren't so sentimental. I was hoping to have all of the house done this weekend and only have the junk room left. But I only got through a quarter of the house. It is hard work. And I know that's the daunting part for everyone, me included. Especially since I have multiple loads of laundry to do everyday. It's all very time consuming. But my eye is on the prize. And!...I have not found any live ones. I may have found one dead nymph but that isabsolutely not confirmed. Or maybe was a shell. Again, unconfirmed. The only confirmed ones are the one from the laundry basket and the one in my lint trap. I know they're good hiders, I promise I know. But it is encouraging to me that I'm not finding anything at all. I'm not putting my guard down but it motivates me to keep going so that I maybe, just maybe, stay ahead of them. This all started only 13 days ago, so I'm hoping they haven't multipled too much. But once we get all of the junk out of the junk room and into a storage unit, we can call in a POC if needed. We have options if I can continue to ward off the bites. Things will get harder tomorrow as we have work, but I will tackle as much as I can everyday. We think we have a plan for our trip at the end of the month too, to ensure that we aren't contaminated and aren't bringing contaminated items with us. I'm scared, but I hope we can do it. Everything is going into the dryer for two hours and then directly into large zippered, airtight bags. And those will directly go into a new suitcase. And that suitcase will get double bagged and taken to the airport in the double bags. And at the airport, we'll remove the bags outside of and away from our car. And as for ourselves, we'll shower, put on clothes directly out of the dryer and walk directly out the door. I may spray mysellf down with alcohol too. And thoughts or suggestions on traveling while potentially having an infestation will be greatly appreciated.

My next update will probably come mid week. I'll report on any new bites and any progress we've made. It's all hard, but I'm not giving up. I hoping everyone else is fairly well too.

Thank you everyone for the continued support and assistance!!

17. nomorebuggs

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sun Sep 10 2017 23:50:30
    #

Login to Send PM

If you plan on binning items up for storage, consider sealing the bins airtight with strong duct tape or packing tape, or even silicone caulk (can be pulled out later to open) to prevent hungry bugs from wondering to other units or finding rodents to feed on.

Another option is to use DDVP (Nuvan / HotShot strips). They contain an organophosphate that kills bbs. Bin up your items, cut the strip to size based on cubic footage per the instructions, place the strip in the bin or tape it loosely to the lid so it's mostly explosed, and seal up airtight. The exact time to kill all bb stages with DDVP is debated, but a month (or until treatment at home is complete) should suffice instead of two years.

It sounds like you got a good handle on your situation. Best of luck! I hope we see a success story soon!

Not an expert. Any advice I give is information gleaned via anxiety-fueled research of credible sources and expert posts here. Please research all advice before treating and consult a professional.
  18. kellycc1976

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Mon Sep 11 2017 1:16:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh wow! I didn't even think there would an option that could make our stuff safe so quickly. I would much rather do that and keep it in our home and not endanger anything or anyone else from an infestation. I'll research further but will my stuff be safe to touch afterward? Thank you so much for the tip!

19. nomorebuggs

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Mon Sep 11 2017 8:24:31
    #

Login to Send PM

As far as I have read, ddvp leaves no residue and remains airborne, but I still cleaned my items when I unpacked. Due to my living situation, I put my items in storage, but would advise against it when possible for safety's sake.

To clean my items, I put clothes through the was and just gently wiped off other items including the covers and edges of books, electronics (warning: ddvp *may* corrode electronics), and shoes inside and out as best I could.

Ddvp only offgasses for approx 4 months before losing it's toxicity. It also smells - not the ddvp itself, but there is an added smell that let's you know it's in the air. The smell may linger on some items (rip favorite boots).

If treating at home, and you can afford it, a packtite oven can be used to heat treat items before sealing them up until after treatment. A high heat dry steamer can also be used on some items. Using heat helps avoid using pesticides, but is costlier and some items like electronics are at much higher risk in the heat.

There are many diy ways to treat potentially contaminated items which all have pros and cons, but I think the key is to keep them safe after they are treated until the home is cleared.

20. IckIck

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Mon Sep 11 2017 14:46:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, just wanted to second the recommendation for a hot-box to treat items. We bought a Thermal Strike Ranger for about $200 on Amazon. I have nothing to do with the company, just am happy that this product exists. We used Nuvan strips (our PCO applied them) in bags for items like treasured family photographs that I was afraid would be damaged by heat. Please learn a lot about the strips before using them - I can't remember all the details but I believe they must be used outside (put into sealed bags) for several days and that using them indoors can be toxic/dangerous to humans.

21. kellycc1976

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Mon Sep 11 2017 16:34:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you both so much for the advice. Those strips scare me a little. But I will research extensively before using, if deciding to.

UPDATE #4
    No new progress made today as I'm working but I do think I have a few new bites on my back. Even though I'm staying completely covered, I think my shirt pulled up on my back yesterday while sitting on the couch. So, it's of the utmost importance that I get the living room done, which is only about 1/2 done right now. I'm kind of bummed to see the new bites but...as I was in the living room and on the couch all day yesterday, I guess two bites isn't that bad compared to my legs last week that easily had fifty bites within two days. Progress maybe? More to come.

22. psychologically_messed_up

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Mon Sep 11 2017 16:50:47
    #

Login to Send PM

It's completely possible, like you said, that you weren't bitten while sleeping!! I got a few bites when I was de-cluttering, too. I respond to the bites instantly, plus I was basically sleeping like an Eskimo... so there's no way they would have gotten me where they did! I read your updates, and I'm super excited for you that 1- you've gotten as far as you have and 2- you managed to get rid of a couple bags (30?!) of stuff! It's a good feeling when you suddenly just say 'screw it, throw it away!' My house looks 10x better without the abundance of junk, and I'd guess you'll feel the same too.

Good luck with the remainder!!!

23. bugged-cdn

Posted 1 week ago
    Mon Sep 11 2017 17:45:18
    #

Login to Send PM

It will be a loss in the high hundreds if I can't give these gifts.

You'd want to be 100% certain the boots, etc., are BB free before giving them as gifts....

24. kellycc1976

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Sun Sep 17 2017 2:48:11
    #

Login to Send PM

UPDATE #5
    A short update only...no new bites in almost a week. No bedbug activity at all that we can find/see. We still have a ways to go, but I'm feeling hopeful. The only problem we encountered is now a fear we maybe spread them to my in laws in our one visit to them before we knew for sure we were dealing with bedbugs. Eek. Big time eek. I posted some pics for ID earlier today and I'm greatly hoping that it's nothing. My in laws didn't have any bug activity, nor any noticeable bites, but I wasn't sure if some salt like substance I found on their bed may be eggs or not. If they are not, I'll feel we're on a pretty positive path. If they are...I'm going to revert back to utterly broken. It's bad enough that this happened to us from a hotel, but to spread them...I'll be heartbroken.

25. kellycc1976

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Sun Sep 17 2017 2:49:42
    #

Login to Send PM

And bugged-cdn ...you're absolutely right. I won't give the gifts if I'm not 100% sure. I may even bin them up and hold from giving for two years. Just to be extra safe.

26. psychologically_messed_up

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Sun Sep 17 2017 3:02:11
    #

Login to Send PM

The 'maybe eggs' you found at the in laws... were they sticky? Like hard to remove from where they were planted, or easily moved with the brush of a hand? I can't ID the pics, but I know the eggs I found were not easily removed from where momma dropped them.

27. GMK39

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Sun Sep 17 2017 5:19:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Okay, so, I don't know about *you* but I get panic attacks when it comes to insects and bugs. It's called entomophobia - I know it will sound silly to most in this forum - but it is what it is.

From what I've been reading, these devils hatch new eggs each day and they multiply fast. Aren't you worried that there's chances it gets worse if you slip and make a mistake or something?

It might sound severe, but that's what I would do: Hire a specialist to use pesticides on them until NONE is left. Meanwhile I'd stay at a friend or family member.

If you don't wanna do that for any reason, other than encasing, I suggest you look up on heat treatment methods. Supposedly they work better than most other 'natural' options.

Source: http://ohealthyeah.com/get-rid-bed-bugs-regain-comfort/

Those were my two cents. I REALLY hope you sort this out - I can't even begin to imagine being in your situation. Stay strong!

28. Woodrow15

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Sun Sep 17 2017 9:02:10
    #

Login to Send PM

GMK39 - 3 hours ago  » 
    Okay, so, I don't know about *you* but I get panic attacks when it comes to insects and bugs. It's called entomophobia - I know it will sound silly to most in this forum - but it is what it is.
    From what I've been reading, these devils hatch new eggs each day and they multiply fast. Aren't you worried that there's chances it gets worse if you slip and make a mistake or something?
    It might sound severe, but that's what I would do: Hire a specialist to use pesticides on them until NONE is left. Meanwhile I'd stay at a friend or family member.
    If you don't wanna do that for any reason, other than encasing, I suggest you look up on heat treatment methods. Supposedly they work better than most other 'natural' options.
    Those were my two cents. I REALLY hope you sort this out - I can't even begin to imagine being in your situation.

Bed bugs are attracted to body heat and the CO2 we breathe so continuing to sleep where you normally do is VERY important to the success of getting rid of them. You have to be the bait to get them to cross the poison otherwise they stay hidden and the poison is no good UNLESS your PCO specifically tells you not to return home for a period of time! They can live for something crazy like 12-18 months without feeding so outrunning them isn't going to happen. My PCO told us not to even move sleeping locations in the same residence (bed to couch) because it will spread the problem and make it that much harder to treat. By your comment of "I can't imagine being in your situation" I assume you've yet to fall victim to bed bugs. I hope I speak for all of us here when I ask that you please refrain from giving advice unless you've been through it, received advice from a professional and are reciting it verbatim or are professional who knows exactly what they are dealing with. Please don't mistake this as I'm being rude but trust me, this nightmare is like hell on earth and we go through enough without added misinformation. Treatments are super expensive and I would hate to see anyone waste that kind of money, not stay in the property and the treatment not be successful because of that.

29. bugged-cdn

Posted 1 week ago
    Sun Sep 17 2017 11:07:14
    #

Login to Send PM

This is bad advice. The bugs will stay safely hidden away until the host returns. Sure a good PCO may be able to knock down the population but there needs to be someone sleeping in the infested room(s) regularly to act as bait. During our first infestation, we caught the last one (unfed nymph) in a trap several weeks after the last treatment. We were sleeping in that bedroom.

30. kellycc1976

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Sun Sep 17 2017 13:35:27
    #

Login to Send PM

psychologically_messed_up - 10 hours ago  » 
    The 'maybe eggs' you found at the in laws... were they sticky? Like hard to remove from where they were planted, or easily moved with the brush of a hand? I can't ID the pics, but I know the eggs I found were not easily removed from where momma dropped them.

The were not sticky. Because of that, I held onto that last night until a professional ID'd on this blog. And Lou advised today he didn't think they looked like bed bug eggs. So...Whew! These bugs really mess with your psychological well being. When I think my stress is decreasing,something like this happens and it starts all over again. But at least today is starting with good news.

31. kellycc1976

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Sun Sep 17 2017 13:42:42
    #

Login to Send PM

GMK39 - 8 hours ago  » 
    Those were my two cents. I REALLY hope you sort this out - I can't even begin to imagine being in your situation. Stay strong!

I do worry that I won't get them all. Absolutely. But I know treatment won't work with clutter so I've been working hard in decluttering. Andover been self treating with great advice from this blog and dozens of hours of research. And it seems to be helping. But I will call in a PCO once it's decluttered if needed. However, as hard as it is, especially when I react so negatively to the bites, I have to stay in my bed. To draw them out. And so I don't spread them to other people's homes. Trust me, my first instinct was to run, but I couldn't. I don't want to be ground zero of an infestation to friends or family. It's quite a process to make sure we're clean every day for work or when we leave the house. But we're making sure to be very careful. I hope, especially with your fear, you never get bed bugs. I didn't know one single event could change your whole world so completely and cause so much stress. Thank goodness for this blog!!

32. GMK39

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Sun Sep 17 2017 14:51:41
    #

Login to Send PM

kellycc1976 - 1 hour ago  » 

GMK39 - 8 hours ago  » 

I do worry that I won't get them all. Absolutely. But I know treatment won't work with clutter so I've been working hard in decluttering. Andover been self treating with great advice from this blog and dozens of hours of research. And it seems to be helping. But I will call in a PCO once it's decluttered if needed. However, as hard as it is, especially when I react so negatively to the bites, I have to stay in my bed. To draw them out. And so I don't spread them to other people's homes. Trust me, my first instinct was to run, but I couldn't. I don't want to be ground zero of an infestation to friends or family. It's quite a process to make sure we're clean every day for work or when we leave the house. But we're making sure to be very careful. I hope, especially with your fear, you never get bed bugs. I didn't know one single event could change your whole world so completely and cause so much stress. Thank goodness for this blog!!

I hope you sort things out.

33. psychologically_messed_up

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Sun Sep 17 2017 16:20:25
    #

Login to Send PM

GMK39 - 10 hours ago  » 
    I can't even begin to imagine being in your situation. Stay strong!

And yet, here you are, commenting on a thread with people who actually are in this situation, spouting off your 'advise' as though you are some self proclaimed expert. You've a diagnosed, documented fear of bugs and their eggs, and have never fallen victim to bed bugs, and we should listen to you? Please, enlighten me with the reason for that? I'm waiting with baited breath.

34. kellycc1976

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Sun Sep 17 2017 17:26:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Honestly, it's ok. I appreciate all feedback. And I understand the sentiments in GMK39's post. But I also know what has to be done. And making myself bait is necessary. Psychologically_messed_up and bugged-cdn have given me great advice and support. I am so incredibly grateful to those that I have met on this site and the help given.

35. GMK39

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Mon Sep 18 2017 0:17:23
    #

Login to Send PM

psychologically_messed_up - 7 hours ago  » 

GMK39 - 10 hours ago  » 
    I can't even begin to imagine being in your situation. Stay strong!

And yet, here you are, commenting on a thread with people who actually are in this situation, spouting off your 'advise' as though you are some self proclaimed expert. You've a diagnosed, documented fear of bugs and their eggs, and have never fallen victim to bed bugs, and we should listen to you? Please, enlighten me with the reason for that? I'm waiting with baited breath.

Hold your horses, buddy. I never proclaimed myself an expert.

Did you even read the article I linked? I did not - nor claimed to - write it myself. I found it well-written and it has lots of useful - in my opinion at least - information.

I felt bad for OP and I thought I'd share. That's all.

36. kellycc1976

newbite

Posted 4 days ago
    Wed Sep 20 2017 20:51:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Update #6
    I was feeling pretty good. No bites in over a week. And I've returned to dressing normally for bed (intentionally to see if I got bites). I've seen no live bed bugs at home, although may have found one small dead one in bagged up items that had Cimexa in it. But that's it. 3 total in a month. I thought we were close to clear. Today though, a bed bug walked across my desk at work.

😐

Well.

I notified facilities and they're bringing in dogs to sniff my new area at work and my old area at work. I moved desks about a month ago and the bites started right after. Maybe I didn't bring them home from Minneapolis, which occurred the same week I moved desks? Maybe they originated at work? I do have a coworker that proclaimed she had a bad infestation and only got rid of them by moving. Maybe she brought them into work? Maybe I brought them in to work from home? Who knows. I'm going to finish gutting my apartment this weekend and will tell my apt complex on Monday so that the pros can be called in. But I am bummed. I had stripped the bedroom bare. Put encasements on the mattress and box spring. Have interceptors on the feet of the bed. I only have wrought iron furniture so no real place for them to hide in the bedroom. Sprayed everything with EcoRaider and Cimexa. Everything is vacuumed and all my possessions in my bedroom are bagged or binned. I thought maybe just maybe it was a small infestation and I had won. Sigh.

Also, for our cruise next week, I bought a bed bug suitcase with heat panels. I'll pack it and heat everything up before leaving. Clothes to wear on the plane will come out of the dryer, will be put on and we'll walk out the door. I'm scared though. Terrified in fact.

More updates to come.

37. bugged-cdn

Posted 3 days ago
    Thu Sep 21 2017 18:20:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Maybe they originated at work? I do have a coworker that proclaimed she had a bad infestation and only got rid of them by moving. Maybe she brought them into work?

Certainly sounds like a possibility.

As for your cruise, it looks like you're taking proper precautions, you will be fine.

38. kellycc1976

newbite

Posted 3 days ago
    Fri Sep 22 2017 0:53:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks! I'm trying very hard to be very thorough.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

264,051 posts in 42,687 topics over 129 months by 18,734 of 19,281 members. Latest: Vincent601, bedbug, Why2Us