Using alcohol to kill bedbugs

(4 posts)
  1. hatezbedbugs

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Sep 2 2012 1:40:23
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm aware that alcohol kills bed bugs on the spot and also keeps them away until it evaporates. But is that dangerous at all? We literally cover everything in alcohol. I'm so paranoid that every time I wake up, I spray my bed and my clothes non-stop. Now I noticed that my eyesight has been getting a little cloudy ... can that be from all the alcohol in anyway ? Can that be harmful ? I've never gotten it directly in my eye but maybe I've touched my eyes with alcohol-y hands or they rubbed against my bed sheets or something ? Idk. I just want to know if this alcohol frenzy we're going into is okay and safe and if it can be a possible cause of my foggy eyesight...

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Sep 2 2012 1:44:09
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't know about your eyesight. It does have fumes which are probably not great.

However, a big problem is that alcohol is extremely flammable and people have burned their homes down doing this. You never know when someone is going to light a match or a wire is going to spark.

Alcohol is not very effective. It only kills bed bugs sprayed directly. You can kill bed bugs you see by smashing them. If you don't see them, you aren't likely doing any good by spraying.

Are you getting professional treatment? Is this an option? If you are renting, it may be the landlord's responsibility.

If you must DIY, please research alternative methods which are both safe and effective. There are written materials which can help and at least one expert here will answer questions about DIY treatment. However, if an experienced and licensed pro is an option, then this is the best route for most.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. hatezbedbugs

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Sep 2 2012 1:51:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, a PCO already came for the first treatment. I'm just 16 with a huge phobia of bugs and they're literally making me go crazy. I get no sleep, I fall asleep in the wee hours of the morning almost every day. I constantly think I see something or feel something and walk around with a spray bottle filled with alcohol and spray anything and everything that might be alive and moving (most of the time everything I see is just lint). I know they only kill bedbugs on the spot but since I started spraying my bed down they barely come on my bed anymore. Putting the spray bottle down is going to be very hard.... for some reason I feel SO little among these bugs even though they are small enough to be killed them with my pinky. Now I'm just worried about my eyesight... I'm not sure what to make of it. I'm already going crazy now I'm just praying I didn't somehow mess my eyes up

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Sep 2 2012 2:14:53
    #

Login to Send PM

hatezbedbugs - 16 minutes ago  » 
    I constantly think I see something or feel something and walk around with a spray bottle filled with alcohol and spray anything and everything that might be alive and moving (most of the time everything I see is just lint). I know they only kill bedbugs on the spot but since I started spraying my bed down they barely come on my bed anymore. Putting the spray bottle down is going to be very hard.... for some reason I feel SO little among these bugs even though they are small enough to be killed them with my pinky. Now I'm just worried about my eyesight... I'm not sure what to make of it. I'm already going crazy now I'm just praying I didn't somehow mess my eyes up

I would strongly urge you to stop spraying alcohol. It should not be used to spray everywhere all the time as you have been doing.

If you spray an area the pest management professional has treated with a residual, you may be washing away the residual spray which was applied. That is not good. You could sabotage your own treatment.

The flammability of alcohol is a real problem. You could hurt yourself or your family and possessions if a fire results. You could even be liable for damages caused to others.

It may even hurt your eyes, as you said, if you have touched them when wet with alcohol. That would probably hurt at the time, so you'd probably know if it happened. Still, it sounds like you are overusing this product.

Spraying everywhere is likely to do little to no good. If bed bugs are biting less in bed, it is more likely to be the effects of the treatment which is going on. Please rely on that -- it really can work, and you really can do damage by doing what you're doing.

Bed bugs are stressful, and some of us are more upset and stressed by the experience than others.

If you are very phobic and anxious about bed bugs, and it sounds like you are, it might help to talk to someone. If you have a therapist, tell them. If not, see your doctor. Others here have sought this kind of support while dealing with bed bugs and found it helpful. There are low- and no-cost services available if your insurance does not cover it.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.