Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Used DE, wondering about BB behaviour...?

(8 posts)
  1. SuperTired

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Jan 17 2012 6:51:55
    #

Login to Send PM

I've been battling with bed bugs. Moved in with a friend who had another roommate. Apparently that roommate brought an infested used couch in from a family member known to have bed bugs.

It's been 4 months. Not happy.

Anyways, after two visits from the apartments PCO's to no avail, I went out and bought DE. Bite frequency went down almost immediately.

However, like I said, it's been 4 months. I personally still get bitten once every 10-15 days, usually two or three days in a row. The roommates are wishy-washy on their admittance/sharing of any BB experiences and I have no clue what's going on in their room, so that's no help, either.

My main question is: With the BBs getting slowly dried out from the DE, could it be that they will bite more?

I ask this because of the bites two or three days in a row. If not on day one, then always on day two or day three I will wake up with the bites and, after a search, find a BB and smoosh it, cut it, and burn it.

Could it be one single bug, being affected by the DE and feeling a constant need to feed, biting me these several nights in a row?

My bed is isolated and surrounded by a DE barrier, so could they have gotten through and are now trying to quench their thirst?

I'm so tired of this, but their numbers have definitely gone down significantly. I really hope they'll just die out, but every time I find an adult, I fear eggs...

2. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Jan 17 2012 15:49:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Disclaimer: I'm not an expert.

You live in a home where there is a persistent bed bug infestation in some room, even if not yours. It's reasonable to expect that there will be some bed bugs straying beyond the epicenter of the infestation, especially if the population grows and/or is disturbed. This may be occurring at random, or, because a room-mate does something to scatter the bugs at certain intervals (such as setting off a fogger or using certain aerosols).

Hungry bed bugs will attempt to feed on you even when not in bed. Even if your bed is isolated, you could be standing in the kitchen or bath...if there's a hungry bed bug there, it will try and feed.

Not all "bites" are actually bed bug bites. You could be experiencing skin reactions to some other allergen. Also, as people react differently and often are slow to react, you may be experiencing bed bug exposure outside your bedroom, or outside your home.

DE does not kill instantly, it takes about a week. A bug can walk through a DE field, feed and live another day, or two... The goal of DE is actually to apply it conservatively, in a way that the bed bugs will walk through without detecting it.

For a good background on proper use of DE, check out our FAQ. http://bedbugger.com/2007/03/30/faqde/

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night; nor for the arrow that flieth by day; Nor for the pestilence that walketh in darkness; nor for the destruction that wasteth at noonday. A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; but it shall not come nigh thee.
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  3. SuperTired

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Jan 18 2012 13:38:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the response, but I know all of those things already.

I found the bug full of blood hanging out in the ruffles of my fitted sheet.

I'm wondering if it would bite more than once because it was "thirsty".

In addition to this, I am highly allergic to their anesthetic (which, doesn't work for me) so I react immediately---which is how I find and kill my attacker 2/3 times.

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Jan 18 2012 18:48:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

You need to get a strategy to deal with the issue as a whole property.

Its highly likley that you are still suffering because of what they are or are not doing. Therefore vague is not acceptable this pest above all others requires a coordinated plan which you all work at and stick to.

You are not going to be clear until they are.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bedbug infestations in domestic and commercial settings. The patent numbers are GB2463953 and GB2470307.
  5. SuperTired

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Jan 18 2012 23:40:57
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm really just asking about their biting behaviour, but thanks I guess?

6. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Jan 19 2012 6:49:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I appreciate you are asking about biting behaviour but that is akin to admiring fine art by only looking at the frame.

I assume you are ultimately looking for a solution to the issue rather than just the simple fact that bedbugs usually feed on a 3 - 7 day cycle.

However re-reading your post I spotted that your barrier of DE may actually be part of the issue. It is best used sparingly and too much can actually deter bedbugs from walking through it and getting the physical damage to their cuticle that is needed to dehydrate and kill them.

Its hard to photo document this as literally if you can see it from a distance once applied you have applied far too much. I will try and take some macro images when I get back to the UK to illustrate this.

David

7. SuperTired

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Jan 19 2012 16:55:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, I cannot stress enough that I know how to apply DE and that it is applied in a very fine layer, not in clumps, and not entirely visible.

Eradicating the buggers is, of course, top priority. In the end, I honestly and truly am looking to understand their behaviour.

8. Fed-up over being Fed-on

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Jun 1 2012 16:09:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Since DE does not kill instaltly the bedbugs can be walking thruogh the powder to feed on you. Try using sealing any cracks/chiped paint in your walls. The may also be buypassing your DE berrior and climbing up the wall then freefalling from the ceiling to your bed to get their meal. Try using double stick tape to resolve this. Some people go all out and tape their etore ceiling. I was pregnant when I first got BB so standing on a ladder with my arms over my head was just not going to hapen so I used double stick tape and made a ring all the way around mybedroom so the BBs had no shoice but to pass through the tape on their way up the wall. I made the ring 3 tiered so they would have to pass 3 different rows of my double stik tape to make it to the ceiling. some of the older/bigger BBs made it past the first row of double stick tape and got caught on the second row but I bever cought any bugs on the 3rd (highest) row of tape.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.