Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug pest control firms (PCOs), Bed bug k9s, etc.

Upstate ny experience ?

(13 posts)
  1. found2

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Dec 4 2012 22:37:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Anybody have any recommendations or experiences with PCO's in upstate ny/ capital region?

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Dec 5 2012 13:18:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Are you close to Albany/Catskills?

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Dec 5 2012 13:22:12
    #

Login to Send PM

I see the thermal tag, are you interested in heat? Some larger PcOs advertise a wide area-- for example, A3 Superior mentions "NY, NJ, and PA"-- so perhaps they cover this region.

Note that's not a user recommendation as I haven't hired them, but the are reviews here if you click the A3 Superior tag above this post.

The NY PCOs tag may help also but keep in mind smaller firms are unlikely to go as far from base.

4. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Dec 5 2012 13:38:29
    #

Login to Send PM

As you said "Capital Region", perhaps you can check with the facilities departments at the local universities (SUNY Albany, Union, RPI, Skidmore, etc.) and see who they use.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  5. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Dec 5 2012 13:52:43
    #

Login to Send PM

There was also discussion (but not endorsement) of a service in Vermont that may be of use to you).
    http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/vermontwestern-mass-thermal-truck

6. found2

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Dec 5 2012 13:56:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, I am in abany in a single family home. I have been bite and evidence free for 12 days, but I am interested in thermal to end the nightmare of not knowing and the fear of them spreading.I have the bed isolate and encased and have steamed everything in the bedroom as well as washed , heated and bagged clothing. I also purchased a packtite and applied DE.
    I am hoping thermal will be the silver bullet to end this madness. I found one company that will do it, but they have only been up and running a year. They give a 90 day guarantee and want to do the cars as well. I found another company that admitted they just purchased the equipment . I have dog coming on Thursday to check things out to get an idea how bad thongs might be ( I feel not that bad, but who knows) .
    My fear with thermal is damage to the home .... Which would be another nightmare ..
    Hence, I am looking for experiences with thermal in the area as pesticides are not an option for us.
    Any help would be excellent !!!!!
    I never knew bed bugs would be a concern. Now I know all to well:(

7. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Dec 5 2012 14:08:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Frankly, I would hold off on the thermal. It is costly, does require some preparation and sacrifice of items and will damage/reduce life of some items. As long as you are pursuing treatment and taking travel precautions (see our FAQ) for the next few months, you will not be putting friends at risk and will get through this.

8. found2

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Dec 5 2012 15:31:03
    #

Login to Send PM

But doesn't the wait and see/ holding off approach put me at risk for a larger infestation ? Can DE work along with vacuum and steam? ? I'm thinking of thermal to destroy the eggs and bugs I can't see...I don't think DE alone will get the eggs ...Im worried about it spreading to other parts of the house besides the 1 bedroom.

9. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Dec 5 2012 16:43:04
    #

Login to Send PM

I read your posting history. You seem to have caught your infestation early and have not seen signs for about two weeks. It's reason to be cautiously optimistic.

Most bed bug infestations are not "worst case" scenarios and clear with a lot less work than some will have you believe. DE will not "kill" eggs, but any hatched BB that walk over it will eventually die and there will be no more eggs. Important is that DE be laid after vacuuming and steam, not disturbed, lest you raise a respiratory hazard and compromise your preparations. Steam will kill eggs, if you hit them.

Baking your house is a good one-shot deal, if a. you have a bed bug infestation, b. it's done right and c. you're not re-exposed from some source elsewhere in your life.

Some of the pros on this forum do some or all of their work without chemicals (Milan's Franco Cassini "EffeCi", for one). If you're attacking your problem yourself and without chemicals, you need to do your homework. Our FAQ, including the one on DE. A comprehensive guide, like David Cain's book or Paul Bello's (sold on sidebar) or a guide like this one.

10. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Dec 5 2012 23:07:03
    #

Login to Send PM

I agree with Cilecto.

And for anyone who is considering heat treatment, I would be very wary of a pest control firm who JUST started doing heat treatments-- you want to make sure they have considerable experience and a good track record, since it can be done wrong.

11. found2

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Dec 6 2012 10:33:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks guys!
    I actually had a dog come out today with his handler. They work for a local pest control company. We did not tell them that we actually found two before the inspection. I am happy to say that the dog did not hit on anything, including the encased bed where we first found the two bb's 15 days ago!i told him after the inspection that we actually found two. He was very nice and gave us an " all clear", but told us to remain diligent and inspect our climb ups .
    I am relieved but still wary, as I know dogs are not 100%.
    I will not be doing any official treatments besides vacuum, steam, DE and continuing to live out of bags for a while. I am glad I had such a reaction to the bites and caught them early.

12. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Dec 6 2012 14:01:28
    #

Login to Send PM

A cautious "bravo!".

13. stephanie76

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Sun Nov 12 2017 21:52:28
    #

Login to Send PM

found2, may i ask you what company you used for the canine detection in the capital region?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

266,823 posts in 43,336 topics over 131 months by 18,998 of 19,574 members. Latest: minicooper78, bmprg, syedz7