Unique Situation... just want to be sure

(6 posts)
  1. Bugs Gunny

newbite

Posted 7 months ago
    Mon Mar 20 2017 2:34:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok so we found some bed bugs wedged into a portion of the wood of our wooden couch and they also had 4 noticeable spots with the black feces where they I guess were living on the mattress and box spring. Girlfriend had been bitten and I hadn't shown signs of being bitten but I seen 3 too many bugs that looked the same. They were only in one location we slept with the mattress pushed up against the couch

I cleaned all the spots, killed all the bugs in all the spots, cleaned up the small white eggs and sprayed the couch down with 91% alcohol. I bought a mattress cover to zip the mattress AND boxspring closed. I see a few more white eggs maybe in super tight spots on the couch but I'm going to q tip those out...

5 questions...

1. If I zip the mattress and box spring shut in two different mattress covers the bed should be good right? Idc if its tacky having a boxspring on the floor covered in a white mattress cover I need these bugs gone

2. I vaccuumed up maybe 10-20 bugs with my BAGLESS vacuum. I dumped the tray outside and quarantined my vaccuum outside the house on the porch for 2 days but... what's the threat of bugs in a vaccuum?

3. I didn't clean the mattress and boxspring (now inside the covers) to the point that no black smear was visible. I wiped it until the wipes werem't brown anymore, (kinda like when you're on the toilet with toilet paper lol) but they didn't look "clean". Is that bad? Shouldn't I be good since the covers are on? I put time in but just the reminisce is still there

4. If I get a hole in the boxspring mattress cover somehow... what happens? Should I "double bag" the boxspring? Aka 2 mattress covers

5. After the main cleanings I've killed about 30 bugs individually (spent about 13 hours on this over 3 days) and flushed them down the toilet (none on bed since the covers). I still have the couch flipped over and haven't seen any for a while. I think/hope the bed is good w/covers but... how long does it take to be freee!?!? I have clothes I have to wash in garbage bags too but... how long????

Btw, exterminator is not an option I'll stand over this couch 3 hours a day if I have to. I appreciate all help and hope any answers help anybody in similar situations.

2. bugged-cdn

Posted 7 months ago
    Mon Mar 20 2017 6:15:14
    #

Login to Send PM

sprayed the couch down with 91% alcohol
    Ease up on the alcohol. It's highly flammable. People have set their house on fire. It's also strictly a contact killer.

If I zip the mattress and box spring shut in two different mattress covers the bed should be good right?
    As long as the encasements remain intact (no holes or tears). Encasements don't prevent bites. Bed bugs that get onto the encased bed can still bite you.

I quarantined my vaccuum outside the house on the porch for 2 days but... what's the threat of bugs in a vaccuum?
    The threat is there.

If I get a hole in the boxspring mattress cover somehow... what happens? Should I "double bag" the boxspring?
    You could. Some people duct-tape the holes.

Btw, exterminator is not an option.
    I suggest you read the FAQ.

Good luck.

3. Livingagain

Posted 7 months ago
    Mon Mar 20 2017 7:40:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Sounds like you're off to a good start and you have the commitment to see this through. But only killing bugs when you see them might make for a really long, difficult battle.

I would suggest adding Cimexa into your treatment regimen. It's available online for not very expensive. You would put it in the cracks and crevices of your couch; anywhere the bugs have to cross to get to you, so around the boxsprings (this is easier if you have carpet), maybe up the boxsprings, too. And if there are places where you sit for long periods of time such as a computer or tv chair you need to get those places, too. You can use a regular household paintbrush to apply it. You need to be sure that the bug has to cross the dust to get to you. So you can use safety pins in strategic places to hold the covers up from hitting the floor when you sleep. And either move the mattress away from the couch a little or you need to get all around couch legs and where they would cross to get to the bed. Read the directions of the Cimexa, but don't apply it wet, like they say you can, it's less effective that way. Do it early so it has time to settle before you sleep. The dust "smell" is worst the first day. If it gets on your hands just rinse them and put on lotion.

The bugs are most likely in some other areas by now also, so try to get around the outside of the room and around furniture. You also need to get the bugs already in the bed by running covers in the dryer every few days at first, then 1x per week. Read up on avoiding spreading them to others so that you don't just get them back after you're done. Good luck! Ask any more questions that you need to.

4. repulsedbybb

newbite

Posted 7 months ago
    Mon Mar 20 2017 14:09:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi barelyliving, I'm just wondering out of curiosity if you've used Cimexa yourself? I have read some of your past posts about possibly having BBs back and am wondering if you used it as a precaution? I have been monitoring for bugs for 2 months but can't find any evidence. I have a PCO coming to check today but doubt he'll find anything. I have been trying to be good and not self treat without evidence but I can't afford another heat treatment (the treatment I had 8 years ago), am afraid to get a K9, and am still suffering from weird skin reactions, so Cimexa has been on my mind....

Bugs Gunny, I think I've heard that you can tape up any holes in the encasements with tape? Unless you can afford an extra encasement... I wouldn't worry so much about matrress/box springs on the floor being tacky I'm about ready to ditch my frame because of the tears they cause to my encasements...

Also, I'm interested in knowing what others say about the vacuum. I had vacuumed my couch several times prior to thinking about the possibility of bed bugs (without emptying the canister) so if I do have them, there really might be some in the vacuum somewhere. I too wonder how to proceed?

5. Livingagain

Posted 7 months ago
    Mon Mar 20 2017 15:33:39
    #

Login to Send PM

I have used Cimexa myself. I probably shouldn't have, because I don't think I ever had them this time. But, I was just so sure that I went ahead and put it in all the places described in that Potter, Gordon, etc. Cimexa study. I used a paintbrush and put it between mattress and box springs in cracks and crevices of couches and chairs, etc. I put carpet squares under my bed legs and put it on those, etc.

It's a tough decision, I was just thought I was so sure that I went ahead. If you do, be cautious with application, use a mask. Are you able to carefully check most things? Because I would think that something would show up in 8 weeks, but who knows.

6. Bugs Gunny

newbite

Posted 7 months ago
    Mon Mar 20 2017 20:39:16
    #

Login to Send PM

UPDATE: Haven't seen a bug all day got all the eggs I saw with a toothpick and vaccuumed. Bagless vacuum is still a concern I put some 91% down the tube and it's in the closet. I'm still going to flip over the other two coaches and inspect.

Cat poked a few small holes in the mattress cover so I'm definitely leaning double sealing it. Depending on how the next day/week goes I might get the Cimexa.

Thank you all for your responses I don't know how bad my case was but I'll continue to update for anybody reading

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

265,259 posts in 42,970 topics over 129 months by 18,854 of 19,412 members. Latest: sleeptitesoon, CatherineM, freakingout123