(16 posts)
  1. milly

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon May 4 2009 17:10:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all,
    Maybe someone can help. I have been having the odd bite since october. I have had the pest man out three times, he has sprayed the house twice. He recently put down some insect traps in my bedroom and my childrens rooms. They only caught a carpet beetle and moth. I am still getting bitten with no sign of bed bugs, or fleas, I have no animals. I have just got four more bites around my pant area(yuk) usually they are on my lower legs. I did think it was my car, (also no insects on traps) and work, also no insects found. Can anyone help? I have no idea where I am getting the bites from. My children seem to be bite free, even though occasionally my son sleeps in my bed. Cable bug or static or feathers have been suggested by the pest man. I have temporarily removed my feather goose down duvet in an attempt to alleviate the bites.Any suggestions to find out what this is. Would steam cleaning help? or what about a mattress cover. My parents bought my bed and it was quite expensive, am loathed to do anything with it. I dont think it s carpet related but who knows?
    Thanks for your help.

2. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon May 4 2009 18:37:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Carpet beetle larvae are little hairy mofos and their hairs have been shown to trigger "bitelike" reactions.

Get a HEPA vacuum and use thoroughly. Switch to hypoallergenic laundry stuff as well.

Jim

3. milly

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue May 5 2009 12:07:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Jim,
    Thanks for advice.
    Any other tips from you other seasoned bug watchers.

4. losingit

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue May 5 2009 12:22:58
    #

Login to Send PM

It may not have been a good idea for the pest-person to treat without knowing what the problem was or is.

Have you seen a doctor/dermatologist to get your bites examined? That might be a first step and while I know that a lot of docs/derms are fairly clueless about bites in general, they may have an answer. At least it's worth a try.

Can you get a bedbug sniffer dog out to check your home?

5. milly

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue May 5 2009 12:44:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Well the flipping doctors in this country, you give them a call, and cannot fix an appointment until next week say, the bites will probably have disappeared next week, not that easy. I work full time and dont really want to take the time off. Good advise though losing it, i already saw the nurse way back in november,thought shed be more clued up that the doc, and i could get an appointment with her!! she thought they were flea bites, as i was the only one getting them, she thought it was not in my house either and was either at work or in the car, probably wrong on all counts. So am still searching for an answer. Thanks anyway,
    Please keep the suggestions coming you lot, as many of you have said, I have lived with this for about 8 months, and it does make you kindof ocd about the whole issue.

6. milly

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue May 5 2009 12:45:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Do we have bed bug sniffer dogs in England by the way? Hell can just imagine the van, the pest van was bad enough!! embarrasing or what all the nosy neighbours.
    Paranoid!!

7. jcage

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed May 6 2009 7:18:43
    #

Login to Send PM

spideyjg - 1 day ago  » 
    mofos

That's exactly how I've come to feel about BBs... Couldn't have said it better...

8. jcage

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed May 6 2009 7:21:29
    #

Login to Send PM

milly - 18 hours ago  » 
    Hell can just imagine the van, the pest van was bad enough!! embarrasing or what all the nosy neighbours.

I've thought about this too. Nosy neighbors and the local burning gossip hotline can be a real drag. So much for levels of trust in sharing sensitive things like this subject.

9. milly

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed May 6 2009 13:42:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Just reading about birds from you lot. I have removed my goose feather duvets from my bed. I have a summer one and winter one. Could there be a chance that some mite/biting creature would have possibly been in the duvet?? They are reasonably new, a year old, my bites started approx two months from receiving the duvets.
    Any thoughts no matter how far fetched would be appreciated.
    Also, few people have mentioned insect repellant, i have sprayed this on my legs, not sure if it works??trouble is its quite costly and my legs are sensitive, so dont want to be doing this forever.

10. milly

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed May 6 2009 14:23:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry, bit of a silly post with regard to insect repellant, doesnt help in the scheme of things, momentry lapse of concentration.

11. milly

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed May 6 2009 14:26:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Jim , would the carpet beetle 'bite' have a red dot in the centre, as typical with other bites?

12. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed May 6 2009 15:37:29
    #

Login to Send PM

A "bite" is a surface manifestation on your skin of your immune systems response to an irritant. Nothing can be determined in anything close to absolute terms based on a skin response unless as part of allergy testing a certain antigen was directly applied.

Just about anything can cause a reaction depending on the person.

On David Cain's site there is a bit about carpet beetles and shows on persons reaction to them. I can't find it at the moment but I'm sure he will be along to direct you.

The whole thing with "mystery bites" is just that a big mystery. Best hypothesis is that there is something in your home that is triggering a reaction but the source could be anything.

Look for evidence of any insects at all. One theory is that BBs exposure has caused hypersensitivity in your body to chitin which nearly all insects exoskeleton contain. There are many inert bugs in a home that could in the described scenario trigger reactions. All insects molt and the cast skins could, in theory, trigger stuff.

To solve it would take dermatology and entomology expertise.

Another aspect is the possibility of insecticide sensitivity. I wonder how many folks with "mystery bites" either self treated or the PCO used chemicals improperly so the reaction is due to pesticide exposure.

Jim

13. milly

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed May 6 2009 16:16:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Jim for this. Yes I did look at the carpet beetle bite picture, my bites do look similar, but was wondering like I said my bites have a pinprick hole and start really tiny.Could I really be having the same carpet beetles biting me? Im not so sure. I have no evidence of bbs at all, no poop on sheets, the pco can find no evidence, and surely if this bite situation has been going on for about six months my bed/ room would be inundated with the little belters. I dont understand your comment about pesticide exposure, I used a flea fogger as I initially thought it was a flea prob. It seems not.

14. BBcoukHome

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed May 6 2009 16:43:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi milly,

Sorry picked this one up a little late.

Yes there are bed bug sniffing dogs in the UK, we have a team located just south of London. They are however not our preferred first step for investigating issues and manual inspection is our preferred route.

If you can find no signs though and the bite frequency is as infrequent as you have posted my first suspicion is not bed bugs. Having cleaned the area and used the vacuum cleaner if you have noticed an increase in bites it can point towards carpet beetles.

There is a document all about them in the documents section of my website which you can access here:

http://www.bed-bugs.co.uk/restrictedareas.html

Carpet beetles do not bite but some people have an allergic reaction to them when they come into contact with the hairs that are found on the larvae. These hairs can become airborne and act as small needles which pierce the skin.

Fear not though some of us understand the need to be discrete and a plain blue van is all I drive. Pest control could be anything though, I used to tell people to make a point of telling the neighbours that they had a wasp nest that needed looking at or a few clothes moths appeared and the room needed treating. It is one of the things that has always amused me about the pest control business in the UK, there simply is not the same culture of home treatments that exists in the US. We can all name at least one pest control firm but very few would admit to using their services.

If you want to have a chat drop me a PM and I will let you know how to contact me.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

15. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed May 6 2009 23:16:34
    #

Login to Send PM

milly - 6 hours ago  » 
    Could I really be having the same carpet beetles biting me?

I dont understand your comment about pesticide exposure, I used a flea fogger as I initially thought it was a flea prob. It seems not.

A carpet beetles don't bite. Their hairs can trigger skin reactions in some people that resemble bites.

People do some desperate stuff and waaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy overuse or improperly place pesticides and can be triggering God knows what kind of stuff. A properly used flea fogger shouldn't cause any adverse issues like someone hosing their bed in toxic stuff and sleeping in it.

I have read many a spooky tale about self treatments endanger the inhabitants.

Jim

16. jcage

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu May 7 2009 0:07:46
    #

Login to Send PM

milly - 10 hours ago  » 
    Also, few people have mentioned insect repellant, i have sprayed this on my legs, not sure if it works??trouble is its quite costly and my legs are sensitive, so dont want to be doing this forever.

I'd be VERY CAREFUL in doing that on a regular basis. Might want the MSDS and check it closely before doing that as a habit. Would be great for getting through the night in a shady motel though when nothing else was an option and sleeping in your car didn't seem appropriate.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.