Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

two red bumps behind knee -- one larger than the other -- bed bug bites??

(8 posts)
  1. nordiska

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Jun 28 2010 3:58:55
    #

Login to Send PM

help!! this morning i woke up to find two itchy (but not THAT itchy) red bumps behind my knee...the one closer to the fold is substantially larger -- maybe 3x the size of the smaller one that is directly below it. do these sound like they could be bed bug bites?? i'm really hoping not but as i did spend the previous night in a hotel i am worried...but also my legs and arms were exposed all night and there are no bites there...and when i was a lot younger -- maybe 20 years ago -- i think a hotel my mom and i stayed in gave me bed bugs...whose bites were all on my lower legs and which turned into giant fluid filled bubbles, and the ones i have now do not look like that at all. but i am older and take prescription antihistamines sometimes and have had allergy shots for other things, so maybe my reaction would be different now? any thoughts would be much appreciated...

2. nordiska

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Jun 28 2010 5:12:56
    #

Login to Send PM

the bumps are a little bit "hard" if that makes sense...and they kind of hurt when i take a shower and the water touches them...unlike the mosquito bites i have elsewhere that are sort of pleasantly itched by the flow of the water.

3. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Jun 28 2010 6:31:28
    #

Login to Send PM

i'm thinking ingrown hair? Someone on the forum wrote that she had something similar behind her knee and discovered it was shaving related? Or maybe heat rash in a place that may collect sweat more?

4. nordiska

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Jun 28 2010 15:30:34
    #

Login to Send PM

hmm...thanks...i don't know that i actually have any hair back there, but maybe it is a rash of some sort...although as the larger one is starting to hurt a bit even without getting water on it i'm starting to think they might be spider bites? i don't know...but then you think they don't sound like bed bugs at least?

5. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Jun 28 2010 15:45:27
    #

Login to Send PM

From what i hear (and knowing that different people have different reactions to the bed bug saliva) i think that mostly bed bug bites itch...But i do recall people saying that some got blistery...some filled with fluid... so it's hard to say from your written description of two bumps behind the knee.

If it's a spider like the recluse spider you really MUST take care because those bites can turn into real serious medical problems. Is it possible for you to go straight away and have a physician take a look at what is going on behind your knee? That would be the best thing rather than relying on an on line diagnosis by non-physicians.

6. Bed Bug Epidemic

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Jun 28 2010 16:43:29
    #

Login to Send PM

nordiska,
    as david would say, a professional here on the forum, early detection is KEY. There are monitors called Passive alert which are very affordable. Had I known what I know now back then, I would have done things differently. But that's what it's about, you live and learn right.

Hopefully, it's not bb's. That's hardly enough to base it on. But for peace of mind, I would get the monitor. It's purpose is to detect them EARLY.

Hope that helps!
    Lauren

7. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Jun 29 2010 6:41:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Please don't begin to diagnose any unknown "bite" as a spider bite. It can just be confusing. Any unknown anything should not be automatically labeled as spider bite. A true spider bite is actually something that rarely occurs. Bed bug monitors would be one way to go.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult in all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology.
  8. Mookie

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Mar 15 2012 10:20:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Just like to add that I get this, I'm not saying it's definite but for it's a form of heat rash.
    If the room was too hot and you slept with your leg curled up etc. then that could be the reason.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

191,364 posts in 29,440 topics over 90 months by 12,705 of 19,968 members. Latest: BuggyNoMoreIHope, hinfungyik, abq671