Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Trying to stay positive... but another one found

(7 posts)
  1. ithoughtlicewerebad

Posted 2 days ago
    Mon Mar 20 2017 12:47:57
    #

Login to Send PM

I found a dead BB in an interceptor on the corner of my bed today. My PCO found a live, but almost dead one, this past Friday in the interceptor in the center of my bed. The one my PCO found had no blood when he squished it, and he said he didn't think it had fed. This one also had a clear abdomen, and I'm waiting for my PCO to pick it up to confirm. My PCO treated our room again on Friday, since he found one.

Before this, we had been clear of signs of BBs for a long time. Found dead ones in mid-late January, and hadn't seen a live one since December 27. No fecal. No shed skins.

So I am thinking this is either a reintroduction, or something escaped one of the bags in my room. In terms of reintroduction, my husband travels for work, and based on where we found the initial harborage, and where he stored his luggage, I'm pretty sure he picked them up on a trip. But he's been pretty cautious since this all started. Not as OCD as I would be, but has improved. In terms of the bags, before our first treatment we had put some things we didn't know how to deal with in large contractor bags in my room, tied them tightly and have ignored them for the past three months. Those bags are now in my garage, with Nuvan strips, and double bagged. PCO thinks this may be where the newly discovered BBs are coming from.

So trying to decide on next course of action. I know people suggest Cimexa, in case they are hiding somewhere in the walls, furniture, etc. I will talk to my PCO about that when he calls back this afternoon. But if they had come from somewhere in my house, wouldn't they have come out sooner? Would we have seen lots of signs in terms of fecal, casings, bugs, etc.? My kids and I have all had some odd bumps. Mine I think are acne. Theirs are a little more odd - both had bumps on their face last week out of nowhere. Before that, they had nothing strange since January. But as I mentioned, we haven't seen any signs in a couple of months, and our last treatment before this recent one was 7 weeks ago. Their rooms have been clear through this entire process, except for one live bug we found in my daughter's bed while the PCO was performing our second treatment, and I really think that was a hitchhiker from my room, as I was rushing to bag up all the bedding. But that is all we found in either of their rooms in the entire 3-1/2 months since this started.

Is it likely the bugs could have escaped the bags? If so, hoping we caught them.

Should I deep clean my room again to be safe? Or just continue living and monitoring as I have been, which is what my PCO suggests. Right now, I inspect bedding and interceptors every day. I wash my bedding once a week, and do an extra round of drying on hot for everything. Our clothes that we use every day are in ziplocks in our basement. We do have clothes in the dresser and closet, but I don't use them. My husband keeps his business suits in our closet and has been using those. I vacuum weekly and throw out the bag as soon as as I am done. I have one vacuum for my room (our old one), and a new one for the rest of the house (we were due for a new vacuum anyway).

We had started cautiously wearing our pajamas out of our room when we got up - mainly to grab clean clothes, start the coffee, etc. I think I should impose the quarantine again.

What else should I be doing? I don't know how worried I should be. One moment I'm despondent, the next I'm almost accepting that this is how life will be now. However, I would really like this all to be over. I felt so close and this latest round is crushing me.

2. barelyliving

Posted 2 days ago
    Mon Mar 20 2017 13:10:26
    #

Login to Send PM

You know I'm not an expert, but my personal opinion would be that it's not a reintroduction, the odds of two quick introductions seem low, maybe bags if you've started opening them up in that area. But my best guess would be that the guy just didn't get them all. Sadly, I just think that it's very hard to get all of them with just sprays. Did he use steam first? I forget.

But I personally just think that PCO's need to get used to using dusts because they are the most effective tools that we have currently, based on the research I've seen. I know I say this all the time, but that's what I think. Hang in there. So tough, but I'm sure you're tough and can do it.

3. ithoughtlicewerebad

Posted 2 days ago
    Mon Mar 20 2017 13:17:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, barelyliving. No steam, this guy just used sprays. I was concerned. But he has a good reputation around here. And, we had no signs for so long. But I will talk to him about Cimexa today.

It just seems from what I've read on here, that we would have seen something during the past 8 weeks if he had missed some BBs. They wouldn't just hide out and then reappear, right? I'm not an expert - so I could be way off on that.

We hadn't opened the bags. But they were bags - not fail safe. They are gone now. I'm kicking myself for not dealing with them sooner.

I'm thinking I need to do an even deeper clean of my bedroom tomorrow. Where could they be hiding?

4. barelyliving

Posted 2 days ago
    Mon Mar 20 2017 13:54:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Eggs are the hardest to kill, especially if they're hidden, what if he just missed a couple eggs, then it took a while to build up, or for the traps to catch them. Lots of possibilities

5. ithoughtlicewerebad

Posted 2 days ago
    Mon Mar 20 2017 18:05:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh boy. That's what I fear. Most in the world. They have been lurking in some hidden place and it will now be harder to get them.

I just spoke to the PCO. He really thinks we should stay the course. He is careful not to say anything definitive, because he cannot know for sure. But his theory is the place they were building up was those bags. The bags are in the garage with the Nuvan strips now. He wasn't big on changing strategies or using Cimexa yet. He didn't sound like he was a big fan of Cimexa because of my pets and kids.

I do feel like we'd have seen something sooner if they were in the walls or in my nightstand. I was trying to find info on the timing of BB lifecycles. How long does it take an egg to hatch? I mean, we've seen nothing live, no fecal, nothing in 12+ weeks. I have to think they'd have hatched and come out to search for a meal way before now, and we'd see signs? The only thing we've seen is a couple of really dried out dead ones in January.

And while I've been getting lots of bumps - they really feel like pimples. I have been stressed. My hormones are totally out of whack. If all these bumps were bites, I'd have to imagine we'd find fecal stains or something before now? It has been my fear all along I've been getting bit, though.

I want it to be those bags... not that they have been building up somewhere in my walls. But I do fear you may be right, barelyliving. Any experts care to chime in?

I'm trying to be rational and calm here. This is nothing like what we found on the PCO's first visit. It's one almost dead, and one dead bug. The treatment is working. But of course, my mind wanders to the dark side. I just want to return to normal, pre-BB life. I don't want to be the mom who is always saying no to having friends over. No to sleepovers. I don't want to worry when family asks to visit. I want to be able to visit others again. I'm trying to be positive, but I worry so much and am so worn out.

Perhaps after a good night's sleep, I'll be thinking more logically and can come up with a new plan of attack.

Thanks for listening.

6. barelyliving

Posted 2 days ago
    Tue Mar 21 2017 7:39:28
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm sorry, I understand the feelings. It's a tough situation. Hopefully, soon it will just be a memory. Cimexa is approved for use in daycares, though, you just have to wait until it settles before you bring the kids back in. But I understand going with the expert.

7. ithoughtlicewerebad

Posted 2 days ago
    Tue Mar 21 2017 8:21:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, barelyliving. I really appreciate and trust your advice and perspective. If I continue to find bugs this week, I am going to order some Cimexa anyway. I found what I think could be part of a bug in one of the interceptors. It was so old and fragile though that I can't even get a decent picture of it to confirm. It's like someone opened a flood gate after months of checking and finding nothing. I check the interceptors daily and vacuumed them out just last week, so I know it hasn't been there forever. This whole thing is very frustrating.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

251,665 posts in 40,194 topics over 122 months by 17,600 of 17,935 members. Latest: Code9, Blackbird13, Kvakalyabra