(8 posts)
  1. RANI

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Oct 26 2011 18:42:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello, everyone.

I have had bed bugs for 14 months now. I very rarely have bites anymore, even in my bed. I have starved the ones under my bed. I believe the rest must be dead because I no longer get bites in any other room. I live alone, so they have no other sustenance than me.

I recently read that if you starve bedbugs, the lay dormant and last even longer than 1 year. If that is true, how long do starved bbs last without food?

Also, I cannot imagine how to get rid of the ones still living in my bed because it is a Select Comfort bed with the foam inside that covers the air chambers. The bed is also adjustable, using remote. It'pretty much has the same flexibility of a hospital bed.

I would bet money that the bbs hide out comfortably in the foam. I'm almost done with these terrible things, but I cannot replace my bed. It was extremely expensive.

Anyone have any good ideas?

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Oct 27 2011 2:17:42
    #

Login to Send PM

HI Rani,

What do you mean in saying you starved the bed bugs under your bed?

Why do you think the occasional bites are coming from bed bugs in the bed rather than off of it (under it or otherwise)?

Have you had any treatment for bed bugs or have you treated in any way?

Do you rent and if so have you checked the laws in your area as to whether the landlord is responsible for treatment?

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. laststrawsue

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Oct 27 2011 8:57:00
    #

Login to Send PM

I feel for you, believe me. I am myself on an extremely tight budget right now, and in a bad financial spot... with bed bugs.
    I also understand how expensive adjustable beds are - I've wanted one for years, & I've always said if I won the lottery, the first thing I'd buy is an adjustable bed!

It would probably be helpful for people to give you feedback, opinions, or thoughts on your situation, if you gave some more information.
    Such as:
    Do you live in a multi-unit building or a single family house?
    Do you rent or own?
    Do you only sleep in the bed? (As opposed to say napping on the sofa sometimes, etc.)
    Where all did you find evidence of bed bugs?
    Have you found the bugs themselves in your bed? (How do you know they're in your bed?)
    What steps did you take to eliminate bed bugs in the rest of the premises?
    How do you know where & when you've been bitten?
    Do you know how your home came to be infested by bed bugs?
    Has your dwelling been inspected or treated by a professional extermination service for bed bugs, at any time in the past?

4. RANI

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Oct 27 2011 13:46:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Insect repellent that keeps mosquitoes away sprayed on entire bed before adding covers of any kind seems to keep them away from me when I am in bed. They don't seem to like it.

The bed bugs could be in, over, under, around the bed, but it doesn't seem to matter. I also placed the legs of the bed in jar tops full of Diatomaceous earth. I don't know if that is safe to use ON the bed or inside the mattress on the foam.

I own a townhouse and have already talked to management about it. They effectively covered their ears with their hands and sang LA LA LA LA.

I only sleep in my bed and have basically been living in my bedroom, kitchen and master bath, so that the only place the bugs can find food is in those areas. I also keep my clothing in closed plastic bags. I'm hoping that after 14 months, many, or maybe even most of them are dead in other areas. I hope I can focus mainly on my bedroom and master bath now. Especially my bed.

I allowed someone who often had to sleep in questionable places sleep in my living room for a couple of weeks. I started getting bites not long after that person left. I would wake up with many bites on thighs in half-circle patterns of three. I have very sensitive skin, so I ended up with terrible rashes and had to go to the doctor.

I couldn't sleep after that, so I just laid in the bed tossing/turning all night. I noticed that I started feeling the initial sting of bites around 3 a.m. I managed to kill one by rubbing my shoulder (where I felt a bite) against the bed and got a blood smear. The bugs seem to have a pattern. They come and have a party one night, then nothing for 10-20 days, then party time again.

I have only seen one little bug and I could not tell precisely what it was. They all look like little alien monsters to me. I hope this is enough info.

5. VictoryIsMine

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Oct 27 2011 23:04:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Rani, from what I understand about bed bugs, if they're still being able to feed, then they're able to grow and reproduce. All they need to grow into their next phase is one blood meal. If you're trying to get rid of them by means of time and starvation, you need to make sure they get NO access to you whatsoever. Now, if you've effectively keep them completely at bay, as in NO bites at all, they are able to go without food for up to 18 months. Other factors would surely play a part in this, but you want to have a certain margin of safety, as well.

6. VictoryIsMine

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Oct 27 2011 23:05:23
    #

Login to Send PM

**you effectively keep** (correction)

7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Oct 27 2011 23:43:50
    #

Login to Send PM

I think you need to verify if you actually have bed bugs now. You can read about inexpensive passive or interceptor bed bug monitors in the Useful Stuff page, and these may help you determine if what you have are bed bugs, and if they persist.

If you find a bug, there are experts here who can ID a photo.

Beyond that, I would not make any assumptions that the bug you had was a bed bug or that you have them in certain areas and not others. There are lots of possible causes for your skin issues, and some of them are bugs which bite - most aren't bed bugs.

I would caution against using products outside of labeling instructions, which sounds like it may be the case with this repellent. It can be dangerous. I doubt it is very effective from what I understand about repellents and how long they last.

8. laststrawsue

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Oct 28 2011 9:25:46
    #

Login to Send PM

RANI - If I'm to understand correctly, you haven't actually found any harborages, nests, fecal stains, nests, castings, or that sort of thing?
    If you have, where did you find this evidence?

If you have not found this sort of evidence...
    Have you completely & thoroughly inspected your sofa & bed? I mean to the point of turning stuff upside down & removing whatever can be removed & put back, to search.

I'm asking because I could see I'm not the only one who's confused about your diagnosis of bed bugs, with no firm ID of the bug, and no description of the evidence you've found, other than the bites (which are not considered to be very reliable evidence on their own - as apparently bug bites are impossible to differentiate one from another).

I'm assuming there's SOME reason you've come to the conclusion of bed bugs??

The someone who often slept in questionable places before sleeping on your sofa is a rather vague point of evidence. There's been ritzy expensive hotels that have had bed bug infestations... and I wouldn't be surprised if there are many filthy crack houses that have never had bed bugs.
    So "questionable places" is a rather broad term. Do you mean places you know were infested with bed bugs specifically? Or in places known for bed bug problems?
    Say, was this person sleeping in a lot of hotels in an area that's known to have a big bed bug problem?

I think you have to work on finding the hard evidence of the bugs, or where they are, or something... to know what you're dealing with and come up with a logical strategy.
    From everything I've read about bed bugs... Trying to starve them is NOT a strategy I would consider viable.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

200,076 posts in 31,012 topics over 94 months by 13,441 of 20,848 members. Latest: midnightfeast, senses123, So Mad