True horror story: Bed bug lodged in my ear canal

(44 posts)
  1. brbugfighter

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Apr 2 2009 10:44:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Fellow sufferers

I could hardly believe it myself. Last night after our "first" treatment (probably like the 4th but we had been treating for ticks, not bed bugs because we didn't know what was infesting us) I was lying bed ready to another night of poor sleep when I felt something going into my ear. My impression is that it just fell off the ceiling straight into my ear. I was sure it was an insect, maybe a mosquito I thought to myself though fearing it was a bed bug because it was so damn fast getting in. I tried to toss it out, shook my head but it didn't come out. It was late at night and I really had no energy to go out seeking an ER, so I just tried to sleep and got myself to a hospital first thing in the morning.

I felt no real discomfort during the night, only that my ear was getting a little sore and sensitive; I slept with the affected ear towards the pillow, it got moist during the night, as if all my earwax was melting.

After waiting for ages, the ENT examined me, said he didn't see anything, that my eardrum was intact (apparently the eardrum prevents foreign bodies from getting into the inner ear) and that my ear was clear of almost any wax but he was going to wash it anyway. And when he did, there it was, an appleseed size dead bed bug floating in saline solution, the same one that was lodged in my ear for about 8 hours. The doctor said that the bed bug probably got stuck in earwax and died, if it had been walking around in my ear I would have screamed in pain and rushed to a hospital.

He prescribed me some bactericide/cortisone eardrops to apply for seven days. But I am worried sick. What if the bed bug laid eggs in my ear?

I feel SO totally depressed right now. Scared and crying my eyes out can't believe this has just happened to me. Bed bugs are rare in Brazil, which only adds to my feeling of absolute terror that we are never going to overcome this plague.

ME

2. cantstopscratching

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Apr 2 2009 11:15:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Horrible. So sorry you had to go through that. A friend of mine once had a roach crawl into her ear while she was sleeping, not once but twice!! She got it out by pouring warm water into her ear and then tilting her head.

3. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Apr 2 2009 15:28:23
    #

Login to Send PM

It is actually not that uncommon for insects to sometimes find there way into the ear. The used to use lidocaine but now simple saline irrigation is the order of the day. The odds of eggs at all is so extremely remote but the irrigation would erase any possibility. So in regard to your ear and eggs your good. As with any medical issue though if you feel discomfort or experience any change seek medical attention.

4. BBcoukHome

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Apr 2 2009 16:35:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Even in the worst cases I have seen I am yet to see any evidence of egg laying on skin surfaces. It is really not an optimal surface for them at all and I very much doubt it would survive an irrigation.

It it indeed one of the more unpleasant things I have heard with regards bed bugs but thankfully it is not common bed bug behaviour and unless you have the level of infestation where they move onto people to get regular food (this usually takes years and years and so many bed bugs its impossible to count and certainly impossible to miss the fact that you have them).

Unfortunately information from travellers to the UK confirm that Brazil like all countries are experiencing a major issue with bed bugs, particularly in hostels and tourist locations. You may find more information locally if you look for Chinches which is the local phrase for them. Friends of mine who were originally from Brazil have also confirmed they were big until the 70's but were thought to have died out.

I would suggest that you check your sleeping area for the signs of an infestation and take appropriate steps. If it is indeed a rogue one this information will also help you avoid the problem when travelling.

Hope this helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

5. Adele

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Apr 2 2009 17:51:42
    #

Login to Send PM

David - it can happen - I had them lay eggs in my ear - but my circumstances were VERY unique

my infestation was not a "normal" one where it developed over time - I had every single belonging including furniture, shoes, clothes EVERYTHING I OWNED come back from the storage locker infested - so they hit me like a nuclear bomb within a week of moving in and they were everwhere

I lived like that trying to battle them for 4 months and during that time it was impossible for me to isolate my bed as they eventually made their way into light fixtrue above my bed

In any case during that time also I had a full- head hair piece (with very long hair) that was permanently attached to my hair - meaning that the only way to get it off was to cut it out with a lot of my own hair with it

long story short - this hair piece became infested and they got in my ear - probably when I was sleeping and laid eggs. I felt a lot of pressure in my ear but I thought it was excess wax and did not go to the Dr.

Needless to say the eggs hatched and they came out - which is how I know they were eggs.

I went to the DR and Winston was spot on - it took the DR about an hour to shoot saline into my ear and vacuum out the white and yellow silicon type of stuff that they left behind

The hair piece came off and was thrown out - that was 3 grand down the drain. ANd I slept with earplugs in ever after that time

So I don't want to start a panic because my experience was extremely unique and not likely to happen to other people - even in difficult circumstances

so the moral here is that nothing is impossible

PS - I've never had problems with my ears before that time or since that time

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Apr 2 2009 18:12:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry, brbugfighter. Glad you got help and it does not sound like eggs will remain in your ear at this point even if they were there.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  7. Adele

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Apr 2 2009 18:20:35
    #

Login to Send PM

I want to be clear that eggs in a person's ear is beyond unlikely and my circumstances were "the perfect storm" of circumstances that led to my unforunate experience - along with my ignorance of what I was dealing with

I do not want anyone to think this can happen to them because it most likely won't ever be a problem

but the moral here is that if you have any issues with your ears - you should get to a DR. ASAP - had I done that when I started to feel the pressure I would not have that expereince of them hatching!!!

8. thebedbugresource

old timer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Apr 2 2009 19:13:59
    #

Login to Send PM

So basically we need to mass produce ear wax and use it to kill bed bugs

9. Adele

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Apr 2 2009 19:35:29
    #

Login to Send PM

In my case it wasn't the earwax that killed whatever was left in my ear - the Dr's painful saline treatment was what cleared my ear and the remainder of the eggs that came out

but Sean if you believe that earwax is the next great thing to kill these things - go right ahead and put that out there!!

We can alsways figure out a clever way to market it along with all the other useless stuff out there - perhaps we can also include and patent Kate's Hungarian BB curse along with it

I'm sure THAT would fit right into your website

10. brbugfighter

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Apr 3 2009 7:14:25
    #

Login to Send PM

BBcoukHome - 14 hours ago  » 
    Hi,
    Even in the worst cases I have seen I am yet to see any evidence of egg laying on skin surfaces. It is really not an optimal surface for them at all and I very much doubt it would survive an irrigation.
    It it indeed one of the more unpleasant things I have heard with regards bed bugs but thankfully it is not common bed bug behaviour and unless you have the level of infestation where they move onto people to get regular food (this usually takes years and years and so many bed bugs its impossible to count and certainly impossible to miss the fact that you have them).
    Unfortunately information from travellers to the UK confirm that Brazil like all countries are experiencing a major issue with bed bugs, particularly in hostels and tourist locations. You may find more information locally if you look for Chinches which is the local phrase for them. Friends of mine who were originally from Brazil have also confirmed they were big until the 70's but were thought to have died out.
    I would suggest that you check your sleeping area for the signs of an infestation and take appropriate steps. If it is indeed a rogue one this information will also help you avoid the problem when travelling.
    Hope this helps.
    David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

Hi David

We're onto them. Taking careful steps to eliminate bugs and eggs from furniture, bedding, clothing, cracks and crevices, and working together with a PCO.

I slept with earplugs tonight, no bites on the kids, husband or me, so I am feeling a little better today but will probably schedule another appointment with an ENT to have my ear checked by mid nex week just in case.

I believe chinches is the Latina American Spanish word for these horrible beasts. Here they are called percevejos. My PCO says he is really surprised to find them in a well-to-do family home. At this point (and I don't doubt for a second that this situation is going to change as this epidemic progresses worldwide), percevejos are more commonly found in construction worker dwellings or farm hand dwellings in Brazil, according to my PCO. Surely, hotels and hostels are probably infected as well. Not one of my friends, extensive family members, friends of friends have a problem with them or even heard about them.

It took ages to know what they were, and we probably would still be treating for ticks if it weren't for A. He was here doing some light repairs in the house and saw one them and told us that they certainly looked like percevejos, something he had in his house in the countryside of Brazil when he was growing up.

I don't know how this thing got into my house. I have some theories: either through an infected piece of clothing I bought on ebay, through the pigeons that hang out day after day in the square across from our home or was it bats (some of them sleep on a big tree facing my window) or some of our trips to the US and other cities in Brazil, who knows?

The big thing in Brazil right now is dengue (West Nile fever?) and it's escalating and killing a lot of people, sadly.

Thank you all for your words of support. Bedbugger is a lifeline for me these days.

ME

11. brbugfighter

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Apr 3 2009 7:19:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Adele - 13 hours ago  » 
    David - it can happen - I had them lay eggs in my ear - but my circumstances were VERY unique
    my infestation was not a "normal" one where it developed over time - I had every single belonging including furniture, shoes, clothes EVERYTHING I OWNED come back from the storage locker infested - so they hit me like a nuclear bomb within a week of moving in and they were everwhere
    I lived like that trying to battle them for 4 months and during that time it was impossible for me to isolate my bed as they eventually made their way into light fixtrue above my bed
    In any case during that time also I had a full- head hair piece (with very long hair) that was permanently attached to my hair - meaning that the only way to get it off was to cut it out with a lot of my own hair with it
    long story short - this hair piece became infested and they got in my ear - probably when I was sleeping and laid eggs. I felt a lot of pressure in my ear but I thought it was excess wax and did not go to the Dr.
    Needless to say the eggs hatched and they came out - which is how I know they were eggs.
    I went to the DR and Winston was spot on - it took the DR about an hour to shoot saline into my ear and vacuum out the white and yellow silicon type of stuff that they left behind
    The hair piece came off and was thrown out - that was 3 grand down the drain. ANd I slept with earplugs in ever after that time
    So I don't want to start a panic because my experience was extremely unique and not likely to happen to other people - even in difficult circumstances
    so the moral here is that nothing is impossible
    PS - I've never had problems with my ears before that time or since that time

Hi Adele

SO sorry to hear you had to go through this ordeal. My heart goes out to you.

ME

12. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Apr 3 2009 10:18:15
    #

Login to Send PM

thebedbugresource - 15 hours ago  » 
    So basically we need to mass produce ear wax and use it to kill bed bugs

I'm visualizing the guys from Ghostbusters, in Tyvek suits, shooting ear wax from a hose.

Ummm, I think I'll go the thermal route...

13. Adele

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Apr 3 2009 10:53:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugs - this was an extremely traumatic thing for me to go through and I don't appreciate the 'fun" that you and Sean are having at my expense - if you want to make comments I suggest that you guys do so on someone else's traumatic post

I am certain that if you went though that experience you would not be making light of it now

14. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Apr 3 2009 11:29:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Adele,

I am truly sorry for your experience, and as I already said above, I was sorry for brbugfighter's experience.

I did not see Sean as making fun of your experience. His response was clearly to brbugfighter, and mine was clearly to Sean's, not yours.

Also, I noticed you responded to Sean before I did, and I misread you as responding to his post with a sense of humor.

15. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Apr 3 2009 12:13:37
    #

Login to Send PM

I had the unpleasant experience of swallowing a bed bug.
    We had been treated the second time and I was sleeping on my pull-out couch downstairs and
    I woke to feel one on my lips which fell into my mouth and before I knew it I had swallowed it.
    Later that day I told my brother the story and his comment was "OK, so you had a little protein."

16. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Apr 3 2009 14:37:24
    #

Login to Send PM

lieutenantdan - 2 hours ago  » 
    Later that day I told my brother the story and his comment was "OK, so you had a little protein."

That's pretty funny, Dan.

How are you?

17. DeathToBBs

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Apr 3 2009 21:10:23
    #

Login to Send PM

I know of someone with an elementary school child who got bit on his tongue during an infestation although the ER and this child's regular pediatrician ruled out bbs, but this parent KNEW that this child suffered a bite. At first it looked like a blister and then it seemed to pop and left a very painful hole in the tongue that took about 6 weeks to heal. Meanwhile this poor child couldn't sleep because of the constant pain (imagine a hole in your tongue!) and would wake up screaming crying for weeks while this parent had the chloroseptic spray ready and would spray this child's tongue constantly. This hole seemed to not go away until it did finally heal, but not without a lotta pain and suffering. Bedbugs being a nuisance only and not a health hazard is b*llsh*t!

18. BugBoy911

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Apr 3 2009 23:51:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Doc I have a Ear BedBugunction!

19. angie

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Apr 4 2009 7:42:00
    #

Login to Send PM

When I was in the height of my infestation, my sister and her boys came and stayed over one night and she woke me up at, I think 3 or 4 in the morning saying there was a bug in her ear. Half asleep, we went to the bathroom and I used peroxide and put a few drops in her ear. Out came the bedbug, crawling to get away. Unfortunately, he only made it as far as the toilet and then went swimming with the fishes. Adele, I understand that this is a tramatic experience, but if you can't find any humor in your misfortunes, you will get stressed. I still joke with Sisssy about that bug and some of the crap we went through while living in BedBug Haven. Mind you, I don't ever want to go that route again and do everything humanly possible to avoid getting them ever again. Laughter is what will keep you sane!!

20. Adele

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Apr 4 2009 10:50:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Boy this posting surely brought out all the old timers!!

LTDan - it's great to hear from you again!! And Angie - thank you for your kind words

It happened a long time ago - actually last year this time - so I am over it and I've slept with earplugs in ever since so I've never had any problems with my ears after that

it's good to hear from both of you

21. BBcoukHome

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Apr 4 2009 19:39:50
    #

Login to Send PM

If we are all in the mood to share, I had the very unpleasant experience of swallowing a mouth full of bed bugs on TV. The puter tube was the wrong way around and I sucked a few straight in. I now double and triple check it when the camera is rolling.

I have a cluster of cases of the years connected back to Brazil but a lot more connected with the northern countries in south America.

This is a global issue at present so as you say it could have come from any different sources. Hopefully it is not connected with the birds or the bats as they would represent a repeat infestation risk.

The main thing however is to focus on dealing with them as best as you can.

Once you are clear it would be well worth you letting everyone know what local solutions and resources helped the most, I know I get a fair amount of traffic from Brazil to my site so you are by no means alone. It will certainly help to let your family and friends know what to avoid in the future, from data we have started to look at in London we think between 15% and 35% of all cases trace back to hotels and infected accommodation which might have been avoidable if the area had been checked before occupation.

Good luck, it may at times seems like a tought fight but its a battle that can be one.

David

22. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Apr 6 2009 11:13:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi nobugsonme,
    It seems as if this bed bug thing has come a long way in the last year just as us old timer's have expected.
    The chemicals that are currently available to our PCO s are a joke, really. We all understand
    the problems we face with the use of chemicals and the effects that some say chemicals have
    on our environment but I still strongly believe that unfortunately stronger chemicals need to be introduced for a period of time to get bed bugs under control. The longer we wait the more they reproduce and I still do not understand how bed bugs cannot spread disease. I heard a report the other day that we are polluting our environment with medications that pass through our system and end up in our lakes and streams and into our food and drinking water. A delicate situation indeed but I believe, and I hope that I am wrong, that we will eventually see evidence that bed bugs do spread disease.
    I wonder at times that other procedures such as heating a house to the point that bed bugs are killed that in this procedure are toxins released into our environment as well.
    Hey, with all the chemicals used to treat golf courses I wonder if there has been any reports of bed bug problems at golf courses. I'll bet bed bugs would not last too long at a golf course or anywhere near a golf course. just a little humor.

23. BBcoukHome

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Apr 6 2009 15:10:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi lieutenantdan,

I am going to pick up on one of the points you made and might open up a can of worms at the same time but here goes.

I will agree that some chemicals have a flushing effect a do not kill bed bugs as efficiently as we would predict but the fact still remains that after about 11,000 cases I am yet to encounter a confirmed case of resistance. I have also been chatting to someone else who does a lot of bed bug work and they say the same. The fact is that both of us use very limited quantities of chemical products (usually less than 1 litre per room) and yet get great results.

I am personally very concerned for the environment and despair at many of the cases where people appear to have power washed rooms with insecticide (10+ litres on some occasions) and have still not solved the problem.

For my money bed bug control will never be about quantity of chemical used in the way that more is better and all about developing better working practices and ensuring that people identify the problem sooner.

David

24. Adele

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Apr 6 2009 15:43:33
    #

Login to Send PM

David - I was actually wondering if you were going to respond to Dan's comment about bedbugs spreading disease

i'm unemployed these days and have lots of time on my hands so I have nothing better to do and I was just curious.....

25. BBcoukHome

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Apr 6 2009 16:32:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Adele,

Yeah good point, and when I work out how to share something without breaking a confidence I will let you know.

I think we can thank Darwin for this after all but that's about all I can say.

I will however make a call tomorrow and see if I can share more details.

David

26. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Apr 7 2009 5:29:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

OK I have chatted with someone and can share part of the information but as it is active research I cant give you the whole picture before they publish the results.

Still theory rather than fact but one that I can personally subscribe to having done some research into it.

Basically the reason they have identified for bed bugs not transmitting disease whereas other blood sucking pests do is one of evolution. Although there is a common evolution path to many insects we can all clearly see that misquotes for example evolved to have wings whereas a dung beetle does not use them. Bed bugs appear to have evolved from sap feeding insects; I suppose you could say they developed a taste for blood rather than plant mater.

As such their digestive system is more closely aligned with this type of insect than other piercing insects such a mosquitoes.

I suppose we all thing of them in a similar light due to the blood sucking nature but they are in fact very different at a physiological level.

Hope that helps.

David

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bedbug infestations in domestic and commercial settings. The patent numbers are GB2463953 and GB2470307.

"Open minds find faster solutions"

"Astral Entomologist - because so many people say my ideas are out of this world"
  27. SqueakyMarie

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue May 12 2009 3:11:49
    #

Login to Send PM

I use earplugs. Since these earplugs came in contact with my nightstand, and my nightstand has very suspicious little white specks on it... which possibly made contact with my earplugs....I think you can see where I'm going with this.

Hopefully these spots are food crumbs and/or nothing has entered my ear, but I'm not going to assume anything. I'm surprisingly calm about this. I'm going to visit the doctor's office again this morning or buy any equipment necessary to clean my own ears. I'm being an optimistic newbite and hoping the eggs won't hatch between now and 10 AM.

28. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue May 12 2009 3:29:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

If you can take a decent picture of the spots we may be able to save you a trip to the doctors.

I have to say though it would be the first time I had heard of bed bugs eggs being laid on a surface in the open, they usually egg lay in dark and protected environments.

David

29. SqueakyMarie

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue May 12 2009 5:37:28
    #

Login to Send PM

They might actually be food crumbs, then. Are bedbug eggs hard like crumbs, or easy to squish (like the bugs themselves)?

30. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue May 12 2009 7:12:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

They are easy to crush and certainly not something that I would classify as hard in texture or difficult to crush.

If they are hard to compress they are highly unlikely to be bed bug related.

David

31. SqueakyMarie

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed May 13 2009 19:19:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Ah, that's good. That means they definitely weren't eggs.

32. vampiremenionprey

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed May 13 2009 19:38:18
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm visualizing the guys from Ghostbusters....
    Actually in the second movie there was refrence made about bedbugs in brooklyn. I catch that word anytime I hear it now.

33. Traumabugged

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jun 12 2009 0:49:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear Adele, I'm sorry for your old painful days. Yet when I'm reading your experience I just feels the necessity to ask some questions. My sincere apology if you find it troublesome to go through it again.

I've got the bb situation three weeks ago and two weeks ago I started to sleep on the camp bed bought from Walmart. I taped it with double sided tape and smear it with vaseline. however, I still got constantly bitten. I threw my pillow and is sleeping on a folded showering towel. That's why when I felt something in my ear I could not stop but thinking it might be the bbs. So the question is: how does it feel? I read that you said it was like pressure. I'm feeling sort of the same thing, too, that something's in my ear.

The second question goes to, what kind of doctor (or what would you call this kind of doctor) did you go to? My English is not good so I'm feeling a little difficult to name these special terms. Does normal health center offer this kind of saline wash (like the university health center)? How much does it cost you?

I would really appreciate any answer. Sorry again to bring it up.

34. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jun 12 2009 1:09:14
    #

Login to Send PM

A regular primary care doctor (family practice or internal medicine) should be able to tell if you have a bug in your ear by looking in there with those thingies they use that I don't know the name of.

If there's something that he or she cannot treat, the general practice doc should be able to refer you to a specialist.

I'm not sure what the rates at a university health center are these days, but when I was a full time student, we had to pay fees to the school as part of our tuition and fees that gave us access to the UHC to cover basic medical care. The fees that gave you health center access were not optional so everyone paid them. If I needed to see a doc, beyond the fees I'd already paid, I don't think I paid anything beyond a nominal fee (maybe $10?) for a basic office visit. Of course, summers are always different if you're not taking summer coursework. Most universities are set up on the model that during the summer, you go home to your parents. This is obviously not true of all students, graduate or undergraduate, but that's the way it works. Alas, I don't recall how summer coverage worked, but if you called your school's health center, they should be able to tell you.

Hope that helps a bit.

35. brbugfighter

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jun 12 2009 6:19:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear Traumabugged

I don't know how the health system works in the US, but for me this is how it went. I went to the ER covered by my health plan, a general physician had a look at my ear, couldn't see anything, but since I was quite certain there was smtg in there and to be safe they called the ENT (Ear Nose Throath specialist, also called Oto-rhino-laryngologist) and he did the washing even though visual inspection did not reveal the bug (it was covered in wax). I would insist with them to wash your ear in saline, no matter the results of visual inspection. It's a painless and risk-free procedure.

Good luck

ME

36. lil_bit_obsessed

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jun 12 2009 13:44:09
    #

Login to Send PM

David, the research you talk about is fascinating. (re: evolution and the spread of disease). When it is published, would you mind passing along the citation? I am very interested to read it.

brbugfighter and adele (and any others who have experienced ear difficulties) i'm so sorry to hear about that! i think, brbugfighter, that if you have had a saline wash in your ear there should be very little risk of anything remaining in there.

37. Traumabugged

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jun 12 2009 19:56:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, buggyinsocal and brbugfighter. I'll try to schedule a meeting with the health center here and ask for a saline wash. Hopefully it could at least ease some pain...

38. Adele

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jun 12 2009 22:20:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear Trauma - I am sorry that I did not see your question - but the others answered it

I went to a specialist that rinsed my ear out - he also did some sonar tests and other tests but my ear canal was very plugged up and those tests were necesarry

do not delay in doing this - go as soon as you can to get your ear checked

39. Traumabugged

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jun 16 2009 15:09:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear Adele, I just came back from the health center of the University. The doctor just took a brief look and said "well, everything is clean" and refused to give me a wash in my ear, no matter how hard I begged of her. Would there be anyway to confirm is there's something in your ear besides waiting for them coming out by oneself? Thanks...

40. Adele

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Jun 17 2009 0:09:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Trauma - I don't know what to tell you except that if you still think something is in your ear you should get a 2nd opinion

perhaps there is a free clinic you can go to and get them to do a more thorough check

my experience was very different because my ear was plugged completely so there is no denying that there was a problem

it could also be that your ear is irritated now - i don't know - I don't want to speculate

41. Ricky1963

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue May 21 2013 20:13:43
    #

Login to Send PM

bed bug eggs I dont know what to do for a year I been going crazy I been 2 hospitals and 1 ear doctor I have a hole in my eardrum the eggs hatch they come out my ear and a little tickle in my ears ever night I have little bites on my body the doctor says bed bugs dont stay in your ears well they do someone please help me I can feel them on my face and they get in my eyes my eyes gets red sometime but I do have a hole in my eardrum I feel them in both ears when i am breathe in and out my ears gets sore

42. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue May 21 2013 23:28:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Since you ignored my last comment I will make it again:

Hi,

Bedbugs in ears is certainly not something I have encountered in over 12 years and dealing with some of the most extreme infestations.

I think the best advice is to seek medical assistance with this issue and by all means ask them to preserve samples for us to confirm.

David

Please be careful about bumping old threads to support your ideas because if I recall correctly one of the main participants on this one actually had Pscocids and not bedbugs.

43. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed May 22 2013 2:39:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Ricky,
    Please don't keep reposting similar messages in old threads.
    There are other responses to your previous post here:
    http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/using-a-tent-for-sleeping-if-you-have-bed-bugs#post-170141

In future, starting one single topic about your situation is preferred to posting on old threads which haven't been updated for years, the How to Use the Forums FAQ explains how.

44. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed May 22 2013 9:48:56
    #

Login to Send PM

I see this is an old post that had been revitalized. Just a few points: The bugs didn't produce any white and yellow material. This was never pointed out years ago. ENT dr usually uses a vacuum system to remove wax buildup.
    And when he did, there it was, an appleseed size dead bed bug floating in saline solution, the same one that was lodged in my ear for about 8 hours.

Appleseed size bed bugs -- please look at these images; the association of bed bugs and apple seeds can be misleading. http://www.flickr.com/photos/lou_bugs_pix/6710289181/
    I answered Ricky1963 on the thread nobugsonme pointed out in the posting above.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult in all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

201,770 posts in 31,267 topics over 95 months by 13,526 of 14,301 members. Latest: LadyLosingIt14, MelissaTT, scaredofbedbugs520