Treatment of Sofa?

(11 posts)
  1. Tommy Bugz

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Jul 25 2011 9:12:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Can anyone here give me some tips on how to treat my sofa. I have a three piece sectional and it is my absolute most favorite piece of furniture I've ever owned. Well I got bed bugs, but didn't know what they were at first, as they started off slow. I have had a PCO come in and treat, but still notice these creatures on my couch. The second treatment won't be till the end of August.

Now I really don't want to through away my $1100 couch I bought five months ago so can anyone give me advice on how to rid it of bed bugs. I have tried steam, DE, and different sprays. I would buy a couch protector, but they are over $100 each and I would probably need 3, so that's out of the question.

2. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Jul 25 2011 10:25:42
    #

Login to Send PM

I just went back and reread your previous threads to familiarize myself with the particulars of your case.

End of August seems like a long time to wait for a follow up visit from a PCO, esp. since Sterifab doesn't have a noticeable residual effect.

Did the PCO who treated your place leave a list of all chemicals applied?

Are other people in your building still having problems?

Have you contacted your local tenants' rights organization?

From your description, if I had to guess what the issue was, I'd say it was an ineffective PCO, but since you're a renter, it's going to be hard to get something done about that. As a result, I'd say contacting your local tenants' rights group is probably the best way to start.

3. Tommy Bugz

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Jul 25 2011 10:49:48
    #

Login to Send PM

No the PCO did not leave a list of the chemicals used. To be honest Sterifab is what the original individual who came said would be used. However, a different person actually came and treated and while he did not give a name to what he was using he said it may take a while to kill them because they had to come in contact with and injest the chemical.

It was a week ago the treatment was done and I have noticed a difference. I am definitely not getting bitten as much, but I know it is too soon to say for sure. I do not know what the status is for the other tenants who also got treated.

4. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Jul 25 2011 10:59:37
    #

Login to Send PM

PCOs are, I believe, required by law to provide a list of chemicals used when they are asked for one. I know that every pest control firm I've ever dealt with has done so when we asked.

Often, the person doing the paying gets the paperwork, so your landlord might have it. I might ask for it if I were you. Knowing exactly what the PCO applied might give you a better idea about some of what's going on.

If you generally talk to other folks in your building, I also might ask them if they're still getting bitten.

The thing that concerns me most about your case--and, disclaimer: I am not a PCO and I didn't really have traditional chemical treatment--is that I thought the general protocol for chemical treatment is that the PCO comes out once and then returns within a couple of weeks to apply a second treatment.

The end of August is definitely outside that window.

5. welcome2mynitemared

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Jul 26 2011 21:21:33
    #

Login to Send PM

TOMMYBUGZ

Please post what you end up doing for your sofa and its effectiveness. I too just bought a new couch less than 2 months ago and thought it was safe but i recently discovered BBs in the legs of it. Im so heartbroken because we planned on moving and bringing it with us but now I'm contemplating Trashing it because I don't want to risk infecting my new home. Sucks because it still has the tags on it! It is literally the last piece of furniture I own that I havent thrown away. I have no children or pets so I'm open to every chemical idea there is.

6. i hate buggs

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Jul 27 2011 13:41:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Tommy Bugz and welcome2mynitemared

I too am in your situations..........and I just love my sofa so this is what I did and I am doing...

1....dusted DE (I am using chemfree insectigone crawling insect killer) all over the sofa
    2....flipped the sofa and ripped the bottom off the sofa and dusted with DE
    3... dusting around the sofa (if they crawl off to get me or my son they will walk right tho it !!! and its been 7 days and I nor my son has been bitten !!!
    3...waited 7 days vacuumed it all up (please put a mask on and keep pets in other rooms as this will make the DE airborne) sprayed 1/5 dawn dishwashing soap 4/5 water on the bottom then dust around the sofa but not of the bottom until it dried
    4...repeat every 7 days until the 45th day (week one finished 5 more to go)............I know its a pain but this will kill them (time and patience) !!!

I received a headboard from my friend who has the most cleanest house u have ever seen and look it had bedbugs in it so you never know.........I had my apartment sprayed and when we returned I fell asleep on my couch and got bite twice then I knew I had them in my couch too (not my son's room thank god)...........so I did the DE thing and the guy isnt coming back until the 2 weeks is up...........but I havent gotten a single bite as of yet and I will keep yous posted if anything happens...........oh I forgot I am getting some 90 percent rubbing alcohol to spray underneath for the next spraying............gosh eh guys, when will this nightmare end.................K

7. i hate buggs

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Jul 27 2011 14:03:07
    #

Login to Send PM

just read the following (below) and I am going to sit in a chair near the couch to watch tv (been watching my sons) tonight (big brother is on) and lets see what happens !!!

nobugsonme June 1, 2007 at 1:36 pm

Bitee,

How long have you been putting DE down?

A few thoughts:

They have to walk through it to die. You WANT them to sense you are there and walk towards you and walk through it. They will bite you. But it will be their last meal.

This is true also for many pesticides PCOs will use (ie had you gone the traditional route, you would still be bitten, though maybe more would be killed before they got to you, I don’t know.)

So give it some time. Make sure the DE is lightly spread–if it is too thick, they won’t walk through it. Make sure you are there to act as bait (for if you are away, they won’t walk through it.)

8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Jul 27 2011 14:55:37
    #

Login to Send PM

I hate buggs,

Rather than reposting others's messages out of context, it's better if you link to them and/or quote them. The permalink is the hash or pound sign (#) to the left of every post. If you do quote, in future,please click the "quote" link under the specific post, and copy the formatting code which appears, so you can show readers exactly what was quoted (and with a built in link too).

I don't know about the methods you're suggesting (DE and sofas). Experts may have some input on that.

However, if people are thinking of using DE to treat bed bugs, please do your research -- our FAQ on DE is a starting place for that.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  9. i hate buggs

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Jul 27 2011 15:06:44
    #

Login to Send PM

thanks I didnt know about permlink and now I do...............the method I am suggesting to is how I'm getting bed bugs out of my sofa and and the paste and copy was just something I found and I thought it would be a good idea to do to see if I still have bb in my sofa..........I'm new to blogging/computer stuff so my apologies if I didnt follow the proper protocol.....................K

http://bedbugger.com/2007/03/30/faqde/comment-page-1/#comments

10. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Jul 27 2011 15:21:46
    #

Login to Send PM

i hate buggs - 10 minutes ago  » 
    thanks I didnt know about permlink and now I do...............the method I am suggesting to is how I'm getting bed bugs out of my sofa and and the paste and copy was just something I found and I thought it would be a good idea to do to see if I still have bb in my sofa..........I'm new to blogging/computer stuff so my apologies if I didnt follow the proper protocol.....................K

Thanks, I hate buggs.

My suggestion quoted above did not recommend the use of DE in the way you describe. I just want to be really clear about that. Putting DE all over your sofa, on top where you sit, is dangerous as you might inhale it, and it can really damage the respiratory system.

DE can play a role in treatment. However, I would advise others against following advice of people who've experimented unless one knows the application method described to be safe and effective, and I am not sure this idea is either.

11. i hate buggs

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Jul 30 2011 13:41:15
    #

Login to Send PM

The sofa is off limits so no one is sitting on it and I have decided to toss it (I dont think I could sit on it again......ewwww) just is case............but when I do toss it I will cover it with garbage bags after a good vacuuming and mark BED BUGS on it...........gosh I never ever thought I would trade any thing for cockroaches but I would for these stupid blood sucking vermin..............all because I was too cheap to buy a brand new headboard !!!!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.