Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Treating for carpet beetles - how long until I can assume no bedbugs?

(6 posts)
  1. badbadbedbugs

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Aug 29 2009 12:14:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Okay, as I posted in the other thread, we KNOW we have carpet beetles (I've seen one adult and enough larvae to know without a doubt that they are there.)

We've boraxed the bedroom, let it sit for 48 hrs, vacuumed within an inch of our lives, washed and changed the sheets, gotten rid of the bed skirt and matress cover (which was really thin). We now have white sheets on the bed.

In the past 3 nights (since the cleaning started) NO BITES!!!!! We keep inspecting for bugs (with flashlight) and we've found a lot of really scary looking lint and a few dead carpet beetle larvae but no bug casings, no feces, no live bed bugs (we have never found casings, feces or a live bed bug. The PCO also did not find any of these but thought we had BB because of the bites and 2 'eggs' he found. He did not do anything about those eggs. They could have been carpet beetle eggs right?). How long until I can stop going crazy thinking we have bed bugs as well as carpet beetles? How long would it take for bed bugs to really make an appearance?

And most importantly would the aggressive cleaning we've done slow down bed bugs or would I still be getting bites at night? (of course, I'm the only one getting bites. My partner, the baby and the 4 yr old are bite free and have been all along.

2. apm

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Oct 1 2009 12:03:34
    #

Login to Send PM

The standard around here seems to be 60 days bite-free to be absolutely certain. Unfortunately, 3 days is probably meaningless since bed bugs generally feed every 5-7 days, so anything within that range is still a definite possibility.

3. NewBlood

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Oct 1 2009 12:16:33
    #

Login to Send PM

"How long until I can stop going crazy thinking we have bed bugs as well as carpet beetles?"

From what I have seen one never stops going crazy. The craziness LEVEL decreases, but one is always crazy once you know what Bed Bugs are, how difficult they are to treat and even inspect for, and how the bites/itching makes you paranoid. I'm dealing with a possible infestation myself - as I was bitten many times along my ankles/legs a month ago and could swear I am STILL receiving bites now (although I have really bad skin, and some of what I thought were new bites are definitely NOT new bites).

"How long would it take for bed bugs to really make an appearance?"

I believe this would depend on the level of infestation you have. I know that's not what you want to hear - but there are some folks here who were bit for months and months without ever seeing a bed bug. I know I can't find a single trace of the critters after examining my bed, spring board, outlets, furniture, and the like. I have seen no blood specs, no smell, no casings and definitely no live bugs.

"And most importantly would the aggressive cleaning we've done slow down bed bugs or would I still be getting bites at night?"

It's possible that you could/would have killed some of the eggs! You could have vaccumed up some of them too if you were doing such cleaning. However - if hungry ones were hiding in places you couldn't reach and got hungry they would creep out to bite you if you missed them. If I'm wrong someone please correct me. I'd like to think that aggressive cleaning will at least slow them down - as if you have some you'd hopefully get a few of them by the efforts. I think of that at least when I do my cleaning.

- NewBlood

4. bugcrazylady

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Nov 19 2009 0:38:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, I'm confused. do carpet beetles also bite? I think I have seen shells of these in my apartment, but I didn't think they could bite...

5. nutmegseed65

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri May 4 2012 22:51:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Last Summer, I found bugs crawling on my bed during the day. I called for an inspection. It was determined I had carpet beetles. What a relief. I slept on my couch in the living room for air conditioning that evening. The next day I woke up with breakfast, lunch, dinner bites on my arm. I freaked. I contacted the Property Manager, and another inspection was done by a more experienced PCO. As it happened, the BB dog was also on site that day and came along with his handler. The dog alerted to the bed in the master bedroom. My exterminator immediately did a very thorough inspection of the bed, and found no bb signs. As a precaution, I also paid another exterminator to take a look. He also confirmed beetles. My apartment was exterminated for carpet beetles. I continued to see beetles mostly in my bedroom, and a second extermination of my bedroom was done in the Fall Sporadically during this period I would see bites, which were attributed to my having a reaction to carpet beetle hairs. By the end of 2011 my apartment was inspected at least 15-20 times by about 4 of the PCO's affiliated with the extermination company. No bedbug signs were ever found by any of them. After being bug and bite free, I began to feel comfortable again.

Last week, I noticed two large bites on my leg. This week, while lying in bed, I felt something on my neck, which began to itch. I found a red bug on my bed, which I was sure was a bedbug. I called for an immediate inspection. It was confirmed that the bug that I found on my bed and one of the bugs that I found in my Climb Up Insect Interceptor were bedbugs. There were also signs of eggs on my mattress encasement.

I'm now faced with paying to have my apartment prepped for extermination. Majorly expensive. The landlord is only responsible for the extermination. However, given my volume of stuff, it would be impossible to properly prepare on my own.

It's hard for me to believe that this a new infestation, but is it possible for bedbugs not to feast on me for months?

When all of this started last year, I was in a panic. Now, I'm resigned, and somewhat depressed.

Has anyone else ever experienced anything like this

I'm really not sure

Anytime I saw bugs, I set up an inspection with the PCO's who work in our building.

6. wontbugmywits

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon May 7 2012 11:06:39
    #

Login to Send PM

@nutmeg, that sounds pretty unlucky, but I'm curious to know...have you been checking your climbups regularly as well as your mattress prior to finding that bug? Also if you had climbups, how did that one bug get into your bed and possibly others since there are eggs? If there are exterminators and dogs working in other parts of your apartment complex, is it possible that this bug came from a neighboring unit?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.