Treating and sightings

(4 posts)
  1. creepedinchi

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Jul 4 2011 11:25:06
    #

Login to Send PM

I have been reading the forum and faqs for a couple of weeks now. We live in a 2 unit building. We had seen a couple in our bathroom (3 adults and 1 white instar), one in our kitchen(1 adult), a dead adult in our living room and computer room and didn't see any live ones in our bedroom until the day the PCO came to spray(1 adult), although I had been getting bites (6 in all). My husband does not react so we do not know how many bites he has had.
    The live ones we saw in the bathroom and kitchen were within 24 hours, then no sightings, but I was getting bitten at night for 2 days post 1st sighting. When the PCO sprayed we didn't see any at all until today (2nd stage instar maybe), no bites on me, but it had just fed, guessing on my husband. This is 5 days post 1st treatment. The PCO is coming again in about 11 days. The PCO didn't see any signs of infestation in our apartment, but did see signs in the other apartment. In fact he is a bit worried about the other apartment. That worries me.
    We have/had 12 years worth of stuff that we have dwindled down to items we need. We have thrown out all our living room furniture, we are getting rid of the beautiful wood platform bed my husband made and replacing with a metal bed frame (no box spring required), covered our mattress and pillows with BB covers and are planning on tossing mattress after 2nd or 3rd treatment. All of our clothes are bagged individually after high heat drying for an extended time. I have even bagged everything in my kitchen.
    So my question is, is it normal to see them 5 days after treatment and should we expect to see more? And should we get rid of all my books and canvases? I have alot of books and alot of canvases (I am a painter).
    I am getting a little frustrated and sad, I threw out my wedding dress because I can not afford the cost for dry cleaning (quoted ~$300). so any information will help me get through this.

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Jul 4 2011 12:33:41
    #

Login to Send PM

I would not throw anything out unless the PCO instructs you to do this. In most cases it is not necessary. Most things can be treated.

I am not an expert, but sighting bed bugs in your kitchen and bathroom is quite unusual. And given the number of sightings in a short period of time, and given that the PCO saw no other signs in your apartment including the bedroom, I wonder if your neighbor had been treated before you saw those bed bugs (before you yourself got treatment).

They may have done something which caused them to disperse. Bombs and foggers can do this. (They should never be used.)

It is not unusual to see bed bugs after your own treatment, and most cases do take more than one treatment. Do you know if the neighbor had been treated (or self treated) before your kitchen and bathroom sightings? Is the same PCO now treating the neighbors? Treatment should be coordinated so that they aren't sending them over to you whenever they get treated.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. creepedinchi

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Jul 4 2011 13:34:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme,
    I am not sure if my neighbors tried to treat on their own prior to me calling the PCO. I believe that they knew about the bugs well before I ever saw one (they started to clean more, vacuum more and when asked they said yeah, we know.....to which I thought ahhhh!). I called my LL with 1st sighting/bite. I am a little disheartened that they chose to remain quiet, our LL has no problem dealing with the situation. I also understand that anyone at anytime can bring them in, so it wouldn't have been considered anyone's fault. Our PCO did the whole building: all of my apartment, all of my neighbors, the basement and the perimeter. We are scheduled for another treatment soon, but I am afraid that if my neighbors do not do everything they should to help with the eradication we will continue this cycle. This is my main reason for tossing and wanting to toss desirable BB harborages.
    My husband laughs a little when we come home, our living room only contains our TV and 2 lawn chairs now. Wishing for a fireplace to add to the ambiance.
    I know we are over-reacting a bit with the removing of our items, but it helps to maintain our sanity and if they return we will know it wasn't from the furniture, though after opening the couch we did not see any sign of any form of BB. Anyone looking for a 2 piece couch...lol.
    Also our PCO remarked that he has been doing BB treatments in our neighborhood ~ 3-4x a week. Looks like they are marching northward......da da da da, da da da da, da da da da......dada da da da daaa

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Jul 4 2011 18:40:51
    #

Login to Send PM

If the neighbors won't fully comply with treatment, the problem may drag on. The landlord likely has some options in such cases. (I'm not a lawyer, etc.). It is a good sign that the landlord treated other units-- they're taking it seriously, which is a bit part of the battle.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

201,827 posts in 31,278 topics over 95 months by 13,529 of 14,306 members. Latest: Camoo, nobedbugs, PolkaBox