Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug science, "experiments," etc.

Transmission via birds?

(11 posts)
  1. Gregor Samsa lives

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Apr 12 2014 10:29:36
    #

Login to Send PM

A friend of mine told me her bb infestation started with nest of baby birds who were in a vent outside her bathroom, only days later to find, days later, "tons of tiny bugs all over the bathroom walls."

She said initially she thought they were bird mites, a cousin of bb's but that it took almost two years to eradicate these pests, despite several PCO treatments.

Is this common? We often have pigeons roosting on our window ledges. We have screens and I've searched to make sure the screens don't have holes but since those pests can get through tiny spaces, now I'm wondering.

Sorry if this topic has been addressed elsewhere on the forum, please direct me such a link, if so.

Thank you.

2. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Apr 12 2014 15:36:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear Gregor,

Hmmm . . .

Not only is this possible but a research study on this very question has been proposed by at least one US University based researcher. However, we are unsure if such a study would ever become funded and/or take place.

As you may know, bet bugs are very closely related to bed bugs and often misidentified as bed bugs when they are not. However, it is possible for bed bugs to feed upon birds and be found in bird nests as well.

When conducting certain research we learned that large infestations of bed bugs may be found in certain agricultural facilities. And, since birds may also nest at such facilities at least one researcher thought to check such nests to see if bed bugs might be found there as well. Not only were bed bugs found in bird nests located at the facility, they were also found in bird nests "near" the facility as well.

Hope this helps ! pjb

3. pabuggs

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Apr 12 2014 18:50:42
    #

Login to Send PM

This post strikes a note with me....ive been lingering for months...ive been self treating with dust and pesticides...to no avail....recently I discovered my downstairs neighbor had thousands of bugs present on his mattress...neither of us know where they came from ...he has swallows in his ceiling nesting...i have an extreme pigeon infestation...the landlord refuses to believe birds COULD be responsible. ...saying we brought them in its our responsibility...we dont have the money to have a pco treat....weve done all we can do...im ready to abandon ship....throw away everything I own and move....ive become anemic...weak confused barely sleep...my life is miserable...i cant live like this any longer...we live in pennsylvania...ive just been told not to speak about the issue...bullied basically..i believe this came from either bird infestation...this is just horrible....im going to lose everything I worked for....big screen ..electronics...you name it gone...birds.....birds ...birds...BELIEVE IT

4. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Apr 12 2014 21:28:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Unfortunately, with bird nests it may be possible that bird mites and/or bat bugs could be present as well.

Generally speaking, there are certain regulations which govern the rental of apartments which require that these abodes are vermin free.

As such, if this structure has vertebrate as well as insect pests present then these pest conditions should be remediated.

Where are you located ?

Is this a multi-family building and, if so, how many units ? (Note that in some municipalities the regulations may be different depending upon the number of units in the building or facility.)

pjb

5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Apr 13 2014 7:27:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

What your friend described is more likely to be bird mites rather than bedbugs or close relatives.

Their behaviour is very different and when be say larger numbers they usually mean an I greasing swarm of mites. I have been in rooms with 50+ mites which appear to be stationary or moving "." Or full stops on a page.

In such cases if they are not initially treated from the initial site inwards they can be prolonged. They are not very common in the UK but I have consulted on two cases of northern fowl mite this year. Once more data is in on what is working best for people I will update my standard documents and the information on the forum.

Bird and bat bugs in the Cimex category are also less common than bedbugs but in all the cases I have seen the original bird/bat species was easy to detect and certainly in the case of bird issues I know they were a factor before entering te property (the nests were that obvious and numerous).

In normal settings samples found without any faecal in the usual areas is enough to want to have the samples species confirmed.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

6. pabuggs

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Apr 13 2014 8:51:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Mr.bello I live in central pennsylvania...ive had the bugs independently identified and the landlords PCO has confirmed the downstairs apartment to contain bed bugs its a 4 unit converted old single home..i feal anything short of a pco and comprehensive treatment is goingto fail ...the house is very old theres just so many cracks and crevices under carpet ..drop tile ceilings...old paneling walls...holes everywhere..its just hopeless..if theyve let pigeons infest to the point of my porch roof caving in with feces I just dont see them handling this..and we are friends but the tone has changed to threatening...like dont talk about the problem to anyone...and my health is suffering...i cant sleep ive become anemic from blood loss...i cant find the bugs there in my walls and under,my carpet...its,made my life miserable...i hate to whine but ive done everything I can to no avail...this is a nightmare....im working poor and cant afford anything more...hot shot spray is there solution...i also over applied de ...its hard to do properly...i cant get them out of my tv or anything with.confidence to move...im just stuck...a friebd has offered a basement....im in constant fear

7. pabuggs

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Apr 13 2014 8:57:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Also because the pco said only a comprehensive fumigation at a high cost would remive the problem...the situation has detetiorated...i cant afford to fight back....6grand quote...on fumigation

8. Gregor Samsa lives

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Apr 13 2014 9:25:37
    #

Login to Send PM

This is all very interesting, thank you for the information. PBello, no, I had never heard of bat bugs before. My friend lives in St. Paul, MN; this is what she conveyed to me; she eventually had to move from her apt.:

I went through a nightmare a few of years back in my old apartment.. I had heard baby birds chirping from my vent in the bathroom ..It was near the end of winter and I thought good, the mama found a safe place to keep them warm. Then one day tons of tiny bugs were all over the bathroom walls. I had bite marks on my leg and blood on my comforter..

I looked up on the internet and the closest thing I could find was that it probably was bird mites, a cousin of bed bugs.. It also said that you should never let a bird build a nest on the eaves of your house fort this very reason.

I reported it and they sprayed, but I went through hell for almost two years with this.. I got rid of so much stuff..

PAbuggs, I'm so sorry you are going through this horrible experience.

9. pabuggs

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Apr 13 2014 14:34:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Im so sorry for your thread high jack gregor and I thank you deeply for your sympathy.....cant has never been in,my vocabulary however this situation has changed that.... My spirit and will is broken....when physical or,mechanical removal is impossiblue due to structural impediment I wonder how david cain handles such situations.....i,know im doomed when the landlords pco says well if you dont see bites your not being bitten....boy o boy....this site is wonderful thanks to all experts is very understated...your all amazing to voluntarily provide the help that you do...

10. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Apr 14 2014 8:41:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi pabuggs,

I personally do not take any initial notice of skin reactions, I focus on confirming signs, namely:

• Live samples
    • Cast skins
    • Faecal traces

If bedbugs are present so will these signs.

If they can not be found through manual inspection then we would monitor until signs are found and thus we have justification for treatment. In the case of what we do that takes 7 - 14 days. If the detection skirt remains clear for that long then the chances are greatest that its not bedbugs.

We may at that stage consider close relatives as possibilities in some settings as well as considering non bedbug causes.

If however we found no bedbug signs but signs of other potential issue we would advise that they are re-mediated for as quickly as possible to rule them in or out as a potential.

As such its a little like CSI, we go with the proof and evidence and follow that rather than working back from circumstantial evidence.

Hope that makes sense.

David

11. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Apr 14 2014 11:48:12
    #

Login to Send PM

She said initially she thought they were bird mites, a cousin of bb's but that it took almost two years to eradicate these pests, despite several PCO treatments.

Actually mites are not cousins of cimicids (bird bugs, bat bugs, bed bugs).

There are different species of cimicids that are unique to specific host mammals or birds and some are somewhat so, but will also feed on others such as people when given the chance. There are a few that don't seem to care what warm blooded animal there is because it will be fed upon anyway.
    And it is possible that you can have a mixture of bugs and mites in the same location.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

265,567 posts in 43,045 topics over 129 months by 18,887 of 19,446 members. Latest: bugbedder, RDM16, UStraveler1234