To tell or not to tell the neighbours?

(9 posts)
  1. bbmom

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue May 23 2017 15:59:29
    #

Login to Send PM

If you live in an apartment building and neighbours notice how you are running to the laudnry room, drying everything and when you open doors, they see all the bags piled in the middle of your room, and then they ask you what's going on. What do you say? I am not sure if I should alert everyone or if I should just keep my mouth shut and say that we are just doing cleaning, organizing kind of thing, new furniture, etc. Our landlord is very responsive and sent the professional to treat our unit. They said that they would check other apartments on the floor, but I don't know if they alerted the neighbours yet. If neighbours had been notified of inspections then they will know right away it's us. Don't know how I will look them in the eye, as we will be to blame, even though we have no infestation yet! Just one live bug in a living room, no bites, no signs of other bugs, examined by professional. K9 had 4 positive alerts in master bedr seems like around floor area, where we put our suitcase usually unpacking. I also had positive sign around where we found the bug on a couch. It could be a false positive, no visual confirmation was performed.

The point is, it's a very very light infestation, we are doing everything we can to prevent it, maybe even going overboard on all heating and sanitizing. We lived here for a very long time and know many many people, they see us doing stuff and ask questions I am already stressed and now all this stress from people asking questions and potentially becoming the pariah of the building.

2. mp7ski

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue May 23 2017 16:23:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Hiding it does no one any good whatsoever. One of the biggest issues with bed bugs is education and public awareness. Some people may shun you and look at you badly... but those people aren't educated. Anyone can get bed bugs and it's no one's fault. It happens. If I was in multi unit housing and a neighbor approached me and told me of the issue, I would be appreciative... cause then I'm aware of a potential threat and can take preventative measures. Now if a neighbor had a bed bug issue and decided to hide it and not tell anyone, I'd be more likely to have ill feelings towards this person.

Some may understand and be grateful... you may even want to help educate these people on preventative steps they can take even if their apartments come up clean such as caulking and dusting a desiccant dust like cimexa in outlets and under baseboards on adjoining walls.

I am not an expert, any advice I give should be considered as amateur advice and not taken as fact. I mean well with all my posts and try to give back. If you plan on using any of my advice, I suggest doing research into said advice to make sure it is in your best interest.
    Study on Thermal Death Points(pages 18-29 of pdf) : http://www.propanecouncil.org/uploadedFiles/Council/Research_and_Development/REP_12221%20Efficacy%20of%20Heat%20on%20Bed%20Bugs.pdf
    Study on Cimexa: http://www.pctonline.com/article/pct0814-silica-gel-research-bed-bugs/
  3. Proudmommyto3rottenboys

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu May 25 2017 1:06:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes I would tell them if I was you cauae think about it.If you dont tell them and you treat your apartment and they dont you are just going to keep getting them.Eveeyone needs to be aware so you guys can tackle this Problem together.Get them out of your apartments for good.I would also be mad if someone had them and didnt tell me.So yes I would say something to them.

4. Livingagain

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu May 25 2017 12:56:42
    #

Login to Send PM

It's a hard question because of course communication is good and that's ultimately how things will be solved. However, if anything happened to someone else, would you be blamed because you were the one who brought it up? IDK, tough call.

Maybe send anonymous notes somehow.

5. bbmom

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu May 25 2017 13:23:25
    #

Login to Send PM

barelyliving - 19 minutes ago  » 
    It's a hard question because of course communication is good and that's ultimately how things will be solved. However, if anything happened to someone else, would you be blamed because you were the one who brought it up? IDK, tough call.
    Maybe send anonymous notes somehow.

The thing is, the neighbours next to us already guess, because it's very hard to hide the prep activity from your neighbours. Since the nearby apartments are going to go through inspection, they had been notified and will immediately understand what's going on. I already had next door neighbour give me a look like "do you want to tell me something?". I am wondering if I should just come clean and explain what's going on. Besides we don't have an infestation, so very very unlikely we are the ones transmitting them, the inspector found no traces of them, we got no bites, and I react badly to them. It was all because of one live bug seen in the living room, which could have come from anywhere and K9 inspection, which is not really a fool proof method either. I just want to assure them that we do everything we can and that it's not a heavy infestation that they should worry about.

It could also be we got it from them, who knows. I won't blame.

6. BbsTO

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu May 25 2017 20:41:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello! Sorry to hear of your situation. I don't think there's such thing as going overboard, tbh.
    I agree with the above posters saying tell your neighbours. Even if it's an anonymous flyer under the door. With that though, include the "Don't Panic" message (it IS the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy's first rule...) and some information on how to protect themselves. This will ease anxiety and give them direction. Also, for all you know, someone else in your building is dealing with it, too.
    I just found out my neighbours sprayed about a month before I started noticing bites. No one else was informed or treated, because although I share a wall with them, they have a different landlord. I would have greatly appreciated a heads up so I could avoid this nightmare. I wouldn't have judged them, everyone knows someone who's been through this, but I could have prevented my own nightmare.
    I was just jumping on here to talk about what I'm doing to fight the stigma. It's like herd immunity. If we all start talking about it, we can start regaining territory. Silence makes the problem worse, not just for your neighbors, but you as well. For you - not just the risk of reinfestation, but also the anxiety. I'll post more about that in a different thread, because this has been an eye opening and life changing experience for me.
    You are not to blame! It is NOT "your fault" this happened to you. Unless you were rolling around in an entomologists' bed bug pen, this was an accident. Over 50% of my co-workers have dealt , that's every other person. 5/7 of my classmates have dealt, the other two aren't from Canada. 3 of those were severe infestations. You're not alone, but you can be a part of the solution!
    Whatever you decide to do, good luck! Sending good vibes and insecticides thoughts your way!

7. SamKaren

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Thu Jul 6 2017 15:51:14
    #

Login to Send PM

I told my landlord over a year ago when I first discovered bed bugs on my mattress. I didn't know they came from my neighbor across the hall. Landlord first said if you don't see them they are not there...WTH. I was able to get rid of them but discovered they are back. My neighbors kid threw out his mattress and I saw it was loaded with bugs and feces. Told my landlord again and he is going to have an exterminator out (neighbor abandoned her apartment). I asked if he was going to tell the neighbors so they can keep an eye out for the buggers and he said "no one has complained yet". I'm torn whether I should mention anything to other tenants as well. It was obvious that my next door neighbor didn't have the common sense to even tell the landlord let alone me.

8. ecrain1957@gmail.com

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sun Jul 9 2017 15:29:31
    #

Login to Send PM

I have bed bugs found by exterminator and they want to do a heat treatment. I'm wondering since I was told, Is the management telling the neighbor's or should I?? I was told that my neighbor's might try to sue me, when I believe they came from another neighbor. I haven't been anywhere to bring them in. I have since them encased my box spring and mattress. I have had any new bites or marking on bed or box springs. I've lived here for 3 years and don't want to loose my housing and can't afford to move. I'm old and disabled. Their going to charge me $1000 to treat when I believe it's their fault that I wasn't notified of someone else having them.

9. SamKaren

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Fri Jul 14 2017 9:59:54
    #

Login to Send PM

I put heavy duty sticky strips at my back door and caught one bed bug. Took a photo and texted my landlord. All he said was he would have his wife come over to vacuum. Going to tell them if they refuse to get professional help out to spray then I am going to start deducting the cost of any supplies I buy from my rent. That may actually prompt him with this. But as far as the neighbors if there was any chance I could be sued then I wouldn't say anything. IMO it is the responsibility of the landlord to handle this. I also can not afford to move

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

259,592 posts in 41,774 topics over 127 months by 18,321 of 18,789 members. Latest: Murtyz, Winnie93x, buggyname