Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

to sleep or not to sleep...advice, please!

(7 posts)
  1. buggedoutinbaltimore

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Dec 5 2007 18:59:17
    #

Login to Send PM

hi all. we just had our first treatment today. we live in a teeny unit in a 9-unit apartment building and it smelllllls in here. our wooden bedframe and wood floors are entirely covered in an oily substance. the PCO said everything would dry by tomorrow, and that even though the odor is horrific, we will be fine sleeping here this evening.

i am not so sure i am fine sleeping here this evening with this smell. it's truly nauseating. i know the common protocol is to sleep as usual after treatment in order to lure the bugs out of their hiding places to their slippery death. does anyone know how badly i will foil this plan if i skip out this evening for a slumber party somewhere without smells? i'll return tomorrow, but i don't think i can handle this smell. and it can't be healthy.

i will stay at home in my smelly and potentially hazardous apartment this evening if it imperative for the get-out-of-my-life-you-disggusting-bugs plan. quick advice will be appreciated...i'm gagging as i type.

2. currentinsomniac

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Dec 5 2007 19:06:59
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't know if one night would necessarily hurt (since they will most likely wait and anticipate your return). However, just concerned you might take bugs with you elsewhere?
    Our house reeked as well so we opened our windows for a couple hours while we left and went grocery shopping. It helped a little in regards to the smell.

3. buggedoutinbaltimore

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Dec 5 2007 19:28:33
    #

Login to Send PM

thanks! we can open windows but it's very cold here today, and the functionality of our heat is questionable on a mild day. right now the heat is not even on (bad, bad rental company) so extra cold is not in the cards for us this evening.

i am very precautious when i visit with others, so i will definitely be sure to exercise caution this evening. luckily, my boyfriend and i will stay with my parents - the two people who will most definitely forgive me if i accidentally do bring a hidden bugger. hopefully we won't ever have to worry about crossing that bridge.

4. nomorebugs

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Dec 5 2007 19:52:06
    #

Login to Send PM

I agree. One night away will not cause any harm. I would be very very careful with taking precautions. Don't take any bags except for XL ziplocks. One with freshly dried clothes to sleep in. The other to store the clothes you are wearing. Winter, with it's cold, makes it even harder to treat beg bugs.

5. cosbear

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Dec 6 2007 9:49:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi buggedoutinbaltim: This is obviously too late to help you with the immediate problem you were facing. I don't think that a night or two away at any point is a serious problem because the bugs only feed every 4 to 7 days anyway, each on their own schedule of course. So the only bugs affected would be the ones hungry that night. They will come looking for you anyway if their hungry and be exposed to the poison anyway I would think. Since they won't find you if they aren't dead yet they will probably come out looking for you again the next night and be exposed to the poison again. If I'm wrong about this someone please correct me. This is just my best guess. Good luck in battle, heres hoping for the best. Later... cos

6. buggedoutinbaltimore

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Dec 6 2007 13:21:30
    #

Login to Send PM

thanks, all! i really appreciate the advice and support. i slept very soundly at my family's home last night - the first night in a long time. i plan to stay put at my place now, though the smell is still completely and utterly obnoxious.

let the midnight bloodfest begin ...

7. itchyincharmcity

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Dec 6 2007 14:38:50
    #

Login to Send PM

hey bugged, I think a lot of people have spent one or two nights away when the pesticide smell was bad. If anything, it will make the little bastards even hungrier and make a few more likely to tiptoe through the poison.

How are you holding up? I know a party downtown on Friday evening with free food and booze if you need to get out for a few hours. It's in a bar that is sort of a hole but that is still better than sitting home waiting to be eaten. PM me if you want the details.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

270,586 posts in 44,061 topics over 134 months by 19,297 of 19,927 members. Latest: sobernoodles, ridmybedbugs, Napier99