tips if you live in a small space : needed

(9 posts)
  1. mysterybite1

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sun Nov 5 2017 6:27:32
    #

Login to Send PM

I feel that most of the advice given applies more to living spaces larger than a studio apartment. People say bbs stay in a 5 foot radius of where their host sleeps, but what if your whole apartment is a 5 foot radius? I have problems with the entry way and undressing to place clothes in the ziploc in my entry closet. I also worry about leaving shoes outside so close to my living quarters.

In smaller places, are plastic bags for outside shoes best? And only taking off clothes on top of a white surface, armed with a contact killer spray?

2. thirdusername

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sun Nov 5 2017 13:15:30
    #

Login to Send PM

mysterybite1 - 6 hours ago  » 
    I feel that most of the advice given applies more to living spaces larger than a studio apartment.

I agree.
    To make matters worse, there is conflicting information on different websites.
    I've been looking at mattress encasements but they say to wash on hot but tumble dry.
    Using the dryer in a house is ok because you know if it was last used on hot but the dryer in an apartment laundry room might have bbs and was last used on low.
    Just read lots and ask lots of questions.

I am NOT an expert.
    My opinions are just opinions, they may NOT apply to yours or any situation.
    My advice is to always do a LOT of research.
  3. bugged-cdn

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sun Nov 5 2017 20:36:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Using the dryer in a house is ok because you know if it was last used on hot but the dryer in an apartment laundry room might have bbs and was last used on low.

The point is moot because even if bed bugs survived the prior dryer cycle, if you run it on hot, they will die anyway.

4. mysterybite1

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sun Nov 5 2017 22:23:24
    #

Login to Send PM

would people say for a small space like this (5 foot radius) you would just need to treat the situation as though everything was contaminated? I have a couch and a bed and have slept on the couch because my bed doesn't have legs and is on the floor. I then moved back to the bed last night to see if i had anything in my bedding -- i didn't see anything but my leg felt itchy -- no welts but it was itchy and red after scratching;; i scratched another area of my leg that didn't itch and it was only slightly red. i bagged the blankets but need to wait for the dryer to be ready - and i'm scared about opening the tight bag. It's hard not to touch the clothes you are wearing, and then you wonder if you need to take those clothes off too. That's why i asked if inspection is enough in that situation - its not likely an egg can be laid in that short amount of time in the cirucmnstance of moving around unloading laundry, right?

5. mysterybite1

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sun Nov 5 2017 22:38:27
    #

Login to Send PM

bugged-cdn - 2 hours ago  » 

The point is moot because even if bed bugs survived the prior dryer cycle, if you run it on hot, they will die anyway.

yes this is a nice thought.

6. thirdusername

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Mon Nov 6 2017 11:50:30
    #

Login to Send PM

bugged-cdn - 15 hours ago  » 

I guess I forgot to mention that I am looking at Mattress encasements that can't be dried on hot.
    Washed on hot yes but then used in an unsafe dryer on a low temperature.

7. thirdusername

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Mon Nov 6 2017 12:00:02
    #

Login to Send PM

mysterybite1 - 13 hours ago  » 
    would people say for a small space like this (5 foot radius) you would just need to treat the situation as though everything was contaminated? I have a couch and a bed and have slept on the couch because my bed doesn't have legs and is on the floor. I then moved back to the bed last night to see if i had anything in my bedding -- i didn't see anything but my leg felt itchy -- no welts but it was itchy and red after scratching;; i scratched another area of my leg that didn't itch and it was only slightly red. i bagged the blankets but need to wait for the dryer to be ready - and i'm scared about opening the tight bag. It's hard not to touch the clothes you are wearing, and then you wonder if you need to take those clothes off too. That's why i asked if inspection is enough in that situation - its not likely an egg can be laid in that short amount of time in the cirucmnstance of moving around unloading laundry, right?

Bites can take a while to show a reaction and itchiness could just be because you're paranoid (understandable) and bed bugs don't feed every night.
    I will be getting some passive monitors.

I did my laundry last night and my clothes were just warm (not hot) when I took them out of the dryer so now I'm wondering if it even got hot. Living in apartment and not having your own washer/dryer really causes more stress.

8. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Mon Nov 6 2017 13:52:33
    #

Login to Send PM

If your clothes were dry the dryer was hot, no? Complicating things that don't need to be.

HVAC/Locksmith/Bed Bug Control for a non-profit homeless shelter and long term veteran housing.
  9. HifromChi

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Mon Nov 6 2017 16:15:37
    #

Login to Send PM

I agree with BigDummy, most dryers have a cool down mode, even the older ones, so if your clothes came out dry and weren't damp, then the dryer did its job.

And the excerpt regarding bedbugs don't feed every night, it depends on how big the population is, during light infestations, you may go a few nights without getting any noticeable bites (per the experts, bedbugs feed every 3 or 4 days if a blood meal is present), but if the population grows and there are bigger numbers of them, feeding could become more regular and/or often.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

266,823 posts in 43,336 topics over 131 months by 18,998 of 19,574 members. Latest: minicooper78, bmprg, syedz7