Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tools/ideas for fighting bed bugs

Tips and Tricks on Daily Live With Bed Bugs

(4 posts)
  1. buggyinsyracuse

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Aug 25 2012 15:04:35
    #

Login to Send PM

I thought that maybe a thread on how folks deal on a day to day basis while dealing with eradicating these things from our lives might be helpful. I’ve found loads of helpful information while going through different threads, so I thought maybe having everything in one place might be useful. Here are some of mine, and I look forward to reading yours.

Laundry: All dirty laundry gets placed in a garbage bag every night. Once the bag is full I put it into another bag (to decrease the chances of transporting something on the outside of the bag) and take it to the laundry matt. Clean clothes gets placed into a clean garbage bag. Once home, laundry gets sorted into the appropriate space saver bag (jeans, pants, underwear, bras, shirts, dresses, etc.)

Delicates: I’ve found that my delicates can survive just fine in a hot water wash, what they don’t like is to be put in the dryer. However, they seem to survive the dryer just fine if they are dry already. So, I give them a hot water wash, hang them up to dry outside, then, just to be safe, I throw them in the dryer for a hot dry just in case. Back into space bags.

Daily routine, getting ready to leave the apartment: Thoroughly check bathroom. For those of you who want to sleep in the bathtub, bad news, found one in my tub this morning. Take shower. Thoroughly check towel. Put makeup on in the nude, do my hair in the nude. Pick out clothes and place on top of closed toilet lid. Get dressed in bathroom. Take purse out of zip locked bag, shake out shoes and leave.

Daily routine, coming home: take cell phone out of purse and put into zip log bag. I charge it during the day. I can still text with it in the bag, take it out to make calls and place back into bag when done. Put purse into zip lock bag.

I plan on sucking it up and purchasing a packtite. Hey, as a friend of mine put it, a debt free life is overrated.

I hope that some of you can offer up your own tips and tricks that can help all of us go through this a bit easier.

2. algroce

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Aug 25 2012 22:55:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the tips... we are starting this process as we think we possibly brought home bugs from vacation. I will definately use this advice to help attempt to keep our exposure from becoming a serious problem. Good luck... hope things get better for you soon.

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Aug 26 2012 2:40:07
    #

Login to Send PM

algroce, you should also read the Bedbugger FAQs-- there is one in the travel section on how to avoid spreading bed bugs. There's also a section on getting bed bugs out of your stuff, which includes advice on dealing with clothing, etc.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. Kass2010

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Aug 26 2012 19:29:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Anna, this is great, thanks! I think comparing our daily rituals is so useful. For example, I know it seems so obvious, but it wasn't to me - I like your tip on putting specific types of clothing in different ziploc bags (like shirts, pants, bras, etc.). Will make my mornings much easier - I kind of just dumped the newest load of laundry in the emptiest bag, lol.

My morning routine before leaving for work is very similar to yours - shower, put on makeup, get clean clothes and change in the bathroom, grab my purse from out of its ziploc bag and go. I would recommend a Packtite - in the grand scheme of things, including my emotional/mental health, and the enormity of my student loans, $300 for it was worth it. The only thing is, as others have pointed out, it tends to "set in" wrinkles, so I keep a bottle of the Downy wrinkle releaser spray next to my clean clothes (in its own bag too!) to use when I get dressed.

Also, I have dedicated clothes I wear ONLY in the bedroom and dedicated clothes I wear in the rest of the apartment. Once I get home, my work clothes go into the laundry ziploc, I check my apartment-dedicated clothes with a flashlight, and then put them on. It sucks though if I'm going out again in the evening/night cause the whole ritual has to start again, but it is what it is!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

270,586 posts in 44,061 topics over 134 months by 19,297 of 19,927 members. Latest: sobernoodles, ridmybedbugs, Napier99