Tiny Rust Coloured Worms

(12 posts)
  1. onelostdream

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Apr 6 2010 10:19:36
    #

Login to Send PM

A couple weeks ago, my boyfriend and I discovered that he had bed bugs in his apartment. One hitch hiked home with me as I found it dead in my jeans later that day. I cleaned my room, especially the bed and surrounding area and my mom did the same thing for her room. My poor boyfriend got rid of his bed and bedding and replaced them. He also got a spray from one of his friends who had bed bugs a few months earlier and claims he hasn't had any issues since using it.

I keep checking my house and car for any signs of them and my boyfriend is checking his place as well as spraying every couple of days. We haven't seen any signs of them anywhere and there are no new bites.

However, two days ago I noticed five new bites on my body. I have two on each arm and one on my leg. They look like the reaction I used to get to mosquito bites when I was a kid, but I haven't been bitten by any in years. It's possible that's what got me again after all this time, but I'm a little bit paranoid, of course.

About three days ago, my mom said she found a little brown worm on her pillow. I tried looking on Google for over an hour to see if there was a connection between bed bugs and this worm and what the worm could be. I had no luck. But last night I found one of these little worms in my bed as well. I tried to take a picture but it didn't turn out, so I will try to describe it as best I can and if I see it again I will try to take a picture once more.

This worm looks hairless and legless from what I can tell. They're rust-coloured. I think they are unsegmented and about the same thickness throughout the length. They're only about 2 mm long, however, so I could be wrong about everything but the colour. Also, when I tried to pick it up with a tissue, it curled up in a ball. It was hard to get off my sheets but I don't know if that's because it was so tiny or if it was somehow sticking to it. Because I'm evil and curious, I tried to squish it in the tissue but it didn't squish.

I'm really hoping someone here knows what this is, if it's a problem, how to get rid of it, and if it's related to bed bugs at all. I'm starting to get paranoid when I get into bed and I always feel itchy. Plus I'm getting tired of feeling like a bug buffet. ^^

2. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Apr 6 2010 11:49:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Welcome, 1LD. You and/or your BF may or may not have BB. Check out the FAQ and Resources page to learn more about how to inspect and fight these pests. You will also find links to pictures of BB in all their life stages. That said, these brown "worms" are not BB.

3. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Apr 6 2010 11:55:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Some beetle larvae such as the Dermastid family are "worm" like but are usually hairy.

Post a picture of these things.

If it looks like a worm it isn't a BB .

Jim

4. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Apr 6 2010 12:00:43
    #

Login to Send PM

I suppose it was a young dermestid beetle larva... probably Trogoderma...

5. onelostdream

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Apr 8 2010 11:03:27
    #

Login to Send PM

I looked up pictures of the carpet beetle larvae and it didn't look like that, but I could be wrong since I wasn't able to get a close-up of my little wormy friend. I haven't seen any more yet, but I keep checking with a better camera nearby.

Unfortunately, I went to the boyfriend's place last night. One of the bold monsters crawled right across my hand pretty early in the evening, so we chased after it. We stripped his bed and flipped the mattress and box springs while looking for signs and bugs. I also learned that my boyfriend is an idiot because when he told me he hadn't noticed anything while spraying, he wasn't looking in the right places lol. He assumed if he didn't see them then they weren't there, but I went through the seams and found several casings, stains, and around 4 or 5 live bugs. I also found out that he talked to his landlord about it who said, "Yeah, the guys that lived there before you were complaining about them. I meant to get it treated, but they moved out and you guys never said anything. Don't worry. We'll get to it soon." Riiiiiight....

We sprayed the hell out of his bed area and took a quick look through the rest of his bedroom. We noticed gaping holes between the old disgusting carpet and the baseboards, so I can only imagine how many are hiding in there. I also asked his roommate if he'd been bitten at all and he said that he thought it was a mosquito bite, but he showed me a trail of them along his arm and they looked like the bites that finally faded on me.

So, today I am going to be cleaning my car and thoroughly checking my mattress/box spring/general bed area as well as my parents' and going through the furniture in the living room. Tomorrow I'll be going to the boyfriend's place and doing an obsessive-compulsive cleaning job, much like Monica from Friends.

Do any of you have suggestions? I plan on vacuuming, then steam cleaning, then maybe vacuuming again (the beds, the carpets, and the furniture) to pick up any that I've killed. We're also going to wash all the clothing and bedding in the apartment and bag up anything that they don't think they'll be needing. Then he'll spray everything (I don't know what the spray is...I'll have to check the can because I'm curious now).

His lease expires the end of April, but he's an international student here and will be going back home for a couple of weeks. His big plan is to stay here until May, then go home, then find a new place to live when he comes back. I asked him what he was going to do with all his stuff and he said that he would have his friends watch some things and he'd put the rest in storage. That whole thing seems a little counter-productive to me, but I know my paranoia is setting in. My dad suggested that he find a storage company that will allow him to move all his stuff there and then hire an exterminator to bomb the storage container. Is that allowed? Will that even work?

6. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Apr 8 2010 23:53:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Bombs are repututed to be bad for fighting BB. You should definitely not set one off in a storage unit. There are pros who will treat trucks or portable pods with heat or gas.

It's an outrage that you and your BF get stuck with the damage that is caused IMHO by his gross negligence.

> Do any of you have suggestions?

They might involve violence and are illegal in all 50 states.
    You might try for legal advice, though.

7. onelostdream

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Apr 9 2010 7:35:18
    #

Login to Send PM

^_~ It's ok if it's illegal in all 50 states...I'm Canadian! hehe

Good to know about the bomb. My dad was assuming bed bugs were like all common bugs. Apparently he's never been a buffet for them. I'll still let the bf know about contacting someone to hopefully de-bug all his stuff while it's in storage or in transit or away from the already infested building. I'd just hate to see him buy another bed or other things.

Well, I'm off to clean and spray. Wish me luck!

8. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Apr 9 2010 8:34:50
    #

Login to Send PM

The negligence is on the LL's part, BTW.

9. onelostdream

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Apr 21 2010 13:53:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Just an update and some more questions...with pictures! ^_^ Sorry it's long...I'll put a summary at the end! Hehehe!

We steamed his apartment last Friday. We steamed the carpets, the furniture, the drape/blind thingies, and the baseboards, as well as the mattresses and box springs.

The living room was fine...He found a couple bugs in one of the seams of a couch cushion. I didn't see it, but my eyesight isn't the best (and I was in need of new glasses) and his couch is roughly the same colour of the little buggy friends. The rest of the living room was fine. The kitchen and bathroom were also fine but I didn't expect to see any in there anyway.

His room was ok. We found some fecal stains (I assume they're fecal stains going by what I've been reading here) as well as some cast skin, dead bugs, and live bugs. Which we promptly killed. And I enjoyed every second of it. My first kill even brought out some wonderful maniacal laughter.

Here Bugsy Wugsy (yes, I named him) is, from different angles (also, could someone please confirm that it really is a bed bug and not something else?):

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l100/one_lost_dream/001.jpg
    http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l100/one_lost_dream/002.jpg
    http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l100/one_lost_dream/003.jpg

We saved his roomie's bedroom for last because it's the bigger room and we were just working our way through the apartment from one side to the other. Now, remember, the roomie said that he didn't think he had any and that he wasn't getting bitten, yada yada yada, and then we found him spraying furiously one night. He either has the toughest skin or he's full of crap. I'm leaning towards the second one. I also feel bad for his girlfriend because he spends every weekend with her in her dorm 200km away. So I'd be very surprised if she isn't infested as well. But we went through his wooden furniture and took the drawers out and sprayed. We took his laundry (and my boyfriend's) and threw it all in the dryer. We vacuumed and steamed. And I was incredibly disgusted by his bed and the floor around it:

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l100/one_lost_dream/004.jpg
    http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l100/one_lost_dream/005.jpg
    http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l100/one_lost_dream/006.jpg

We went to Canadian Tire to buy the bug spray they'd been using. I looked at the can and was a little depressed by it. It was from Raid but it was a general spray for all crawling bugs. The woman working in that general area got snippy with us when I quietly pointed out to my boyfriend that it said nowhere on the can that it was for bed bugs. She rolled her eyes and sneered and said "Well that's obviously because it won't kill them. Get an exterminator." But there was a really nice guy walking past. It turns out he used to own an apartment complex in the city and his also had bedbugs. He had an exterminator friend that told him to go to Walmart in the USA and buy a fogger from Raid. It comes in an orange box in a pack of three or four and it kills everything in the area, including any pets or people that inhale it. He set a few of them off in the apartment and then had his exterminator friend come by to double check the bedbugs were gone and they were! So I've been looking all over for this stuff in Windsor, Ontario, Canada and I can't find it. It's called Raid Concentrated Deep Reach Fogger. Has anyone tried this or do you know if we can buy it in Canada? I'm starting to think it's an American product.

Anyway, I still had bites appearing last week and last night I noticed some bumps on my leg...I couldn't tell if it was a random rash, if it was razor burn since my skin is so dried out, or if they were bites. They're gone today, but that doesn't help. This nine day bite window is driving me insane. If I have any more bites it either means that he's still infested (even though he's been checking every day and hasn't noticed anything and he also hasn't been bitten) or they're in my house.

I checked my mattress and box spring today. I checked the whole mattress and the sides and top of the box spring. I'm too weak to life it alone so I'm praying that there's nothing on the bottom side. I didn't see any bed bugs or fecal stains. I found a bug last night before bed (I couldn't find my camera to take a picture but it was dead and I think it was probably a carpet beetle like you guys guessed...it was a grayish brownish larger version of the tiny red worm I saw before and it had segments and looked liked the pictures I found on Google of carpet beetles). Today I found a couple of ants, a dead bug, and some weird stain on my box spring. I don't know if it's a blood stain from some bug I've killed or if it's a stain that I just don't remember seeing before or what it is.

Any help identifying the stain and the dead bug would be greatly appreciated! I know the bug is blurry but it was the best I could get.

The bug:

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l100/one_lost_dream/007.jpg
    http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l100/one_lost_dream/008.jpg
    http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l100/one_lost_dream/009.jpg

The stain:

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l100/one_lost_dream/010.jpg

SUMMARY! LOL

1. Cleaned bf's apartment last Friday. Seems to be fine now. He and his roomie both claim no new bites or no sign of bugs.
    2. I'm still getting the odd bite showing up but I don't know if it's a delayed showing or if they're new bites. But if I see any more in the next little while then I either have bugs at home or he's still infested (or both).
    3. Checked my mattress (and most of my box spring...couldn't get to the underside). Found a random bug that doesn't look anything like what was at the bf's place. Also found a couple ants and, I think, a carpet beetle. Also found a random stain on the top of my box spring. Any help identifying would be greatly appreciated!
    4. Does Raid Concentrated Deep Reach Fogger work and can I buy it in Canada?

10. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Apr 21 2010 14:07:16
    #

Login to Send PM

No time to read the whole thing but the second picture of "Bugsy Wugsy" removes all doubt. Bugsy is a BB.

Thus begins your war.

Jim

11. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Apr 21 2010 14:32:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Bombs and foggers are controversial on these boards. Entomologists believe that while they may kill bugs that they do reach, they do not penetrate deeply enough to where the bugs may be harboring, may drive them deeper to bide their time and may repel them to neighboring units. AFAIK, SC Johnson (Raid) does not make any consumer products in the US labeled for bedbugs. Hot Shot sells a fogger labeled for BB in the US, but subject to the same concerns above.

You're working hard, but study some the practice guides on the Resources page (like Doggett's) to give yourself better understanding of what works.

Take what passersby tell you with a grain of salt. I've been told to use kerosene, because that's what they do in Nigeria (really). Doesn't mean I'm gonna do it.

12. onelostdream

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Apr 21 2010 15:48:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Yeah, I had heard that products rarely list that they kill bed bugs because if even one happens to escape then their product didn't technically work and bed bugs are notorious for their hiding and hitch hiking abilities. Basically our main hope with the fogger was to fog his place shortly before he moves, fog it in transit, and then fog again at the new place as well as steam all his things. Plus when we go apartment hunting we now know (thanks to this forum!) what to look for to do our best to avoid getting reinfested at the new place.

I can only imagine how well kerosene would work with my natural clumsiness and bad luck! Would make for a pretty spiffy indoor bonfire the one day I don't pay attention and light some candles for ambience....

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

184,083 posts in 28,285 topics over 87 months by 12,191 of 19,345 members. Latest: sera143, falc, falc2
Site Meter