Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

tiny red bugs?

(10 posts)
  1. bugsinbrooklyn

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Mar 28 2010 7:40:40
    #

Login to Send PM

HI,

a few years ago I had an experience with Bed bugs. My bites would appear approx 6-8 hours after the night I was bitten and they would swell and were very itchy.

Last night I moved into a sublet( unrelated to any bug problem, btw), I do not have any of my own things, and am sleeping on an air mattress. I woke up with bites on my ankles and all over my arms with a few very tiny red bugs in my bed. Very, very, tiny and red. They did not look like the bed bugs I've previously encountered and my bites are very different.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

2. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Mar 28 2010 12:34:18
    #

Login to Send PM

look up pictures of clover mites. That could be what you're looking at.

3. bugsinbrooklyn

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Mar 28 2010 13:31:01
    #

Login to Send PM

thanks! Yes, I did look those up and that looks about right but I am seriously bitten head to toe...you can track whatever it was traveling along my arm and legs....and my research says that clover mites don't bite. Do you know any different?

Again, I am very familiar with Bed bug bites, as I have been bitten before and these bites are very different. Less swollen, not as raised, not as itchy and visible in a shorter amount of time than the bites I've had before.

Also, new roommates say they have never had a problem before and my room was vacated three days ago.

Is it possible that this many bites came from baby ( forgot the term) bed bugs and the onset of the infestation magically started when I moved in?

Thanks in advance. If you have any additional thoughts on my questions, I'd appreciate it but I promise I won't bother you again after your answer.

4. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Mar 28 2010 13:46:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Clover mites do not bite. Check out fleas if you see them jump, especially if you try to squash them. Also
    check for bird nest around windows. Is moisture an issue?

5. bugsinbrooklyn

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Mar 28 2010 14:00:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Definitely not fleas. I'm in Brooklyn the weather was warm then cold and the heat is on so a little dry in the apartment.

Okay I'm going to allow for the possibility that these are bed bugs. Is it possible that baby bed bugs can appear very small and red and cover me with bites in a matter of 3 hours?And do different bed bugs result in different types of bites?

thanks

6. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Mar 28 2010 16:00:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Capture some in a jar, post pics, and get an ID. Once you have a positive ID you can proceed. Priority one is to know what you are seeing.

Look for a 4 segmented antenna. BBs have 4 segmented antenna so that is a key characteristic to look for. If more than 4, it is not a a BB.

Also count the legs. mites are arachnids and will have 8 and insects have 6.

Jim

7. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Mar 28 2010 16:59:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry I should have mentioned what Winston said. They don't bite ... so the reaction you have is not from them. It's prolly a skin problem and not an insect problem.

8. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Mar 29 2010 4:44:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Correct. Clover mites don't bite. Other "non-biting" red mites can also be found in the home (they come in from outdoors) and sometimes they do bite. They have a different body shape and red color than clover mites. These are mites that normally feed on pollen but will taste you if given the chance. They're quite common in spring and into the summer. Of course, parasitic mites on rodents or birds will be red if they have just taken your blood. Just a general note: larval mites are 6 legged while nymphs and adults are 8 legged. Sometimes a reaction can be a skin reaction or a physiological reaction to medication, foods, etc.
    Catch specimens on tape & I can look at them. Stop in (if in NYC) or mail them in.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult in all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology.
  9. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Mar 29 2010 4:46:53
    #

Login to Send PM

BTW, you may be reacting differently to bed bug bites than you did initially, but collecting any red mites, insects from your person or bed will be the best way to identify the "bugs".

10. cmd7172

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Sep 1 2011 21:39:28
    #

Login to Send PM

They are chiggers. Not really any other possibilities. I'm not sure how so many people could comment on this without knowing that that's what they are/were. Looks like you posted this a while ago, so I don't know if this still helps.

Anyway, you probably itched for weeks.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.