Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

tiny carpet larva or something else?

(14 posts)
  1. CrazyMe

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jun 2 2009 16:45:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey all. I forgot to mention that I found a bug on my pillow last night that did NOT seem like a bed bug.

I caught it with tape, but it was sooooo tiny I don't think it would photograph. Here's how I'd describe it:

About the width and length of a hyphen (11 point font) Like this: _

It had cream and brown stripes that I was able to see when I held it up to the light--and was too narrow/long to be a bed bug I think. Also seemed a little furry. Do you think it's a tiny carpet larva?

2. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jun 2 2009 18:23:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Yeah, and if you don't kill it, you'll have a adult carpet in the future...;-)
    More seriously:
    Good description, it's surely a young carpet beetle larva. Very common in houses...

3. blazing

Account closed

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jun 2 2009 19:12:58
    #

Login to Send PM

yes, when you start looking for BBs.. u notice all the other creepy crawlies in your house.

4. CrazyMe

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jun 2 2009 23:34:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Effecci. Okay, I found another exact bug just like the first... although this one is slightly bigger. The body may be (hard to tell without magnifying glass) segmented with light brown strips. The weird thing is it seems to have a tail or protrusion from the rear end. The feet are concentrated towards the front/head. I do not see wings.

Do you still think it is a carpet bug? This one I'd describe as a bolded hyphen: _. Again is not completely/mostly clear like a early bed bug nymph nor round.

Anyone have any ideas? Could it be a mite? lice of some sort? Thanks to all who have offered kind support. I'm actually feeling less crazy--and this is becoming a science project of sorts.

5. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Jun 3 2009 1:53:23
    #

Login to Send PM

The body may be (hard to tell without magnifying glass) segmented with light brown strips. The weird thing is it seems to have a tail or protrusion from the rear end. The feet are concentrated towards the front/head. I do not see wings.

Another good description: it's a dermestid beetle larva.
    Carpet beetles and dermestid beetles are both from beetle family Dermestidae, and they're both really common in domestic environments.

6. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Jun 3 2009 1:56:24
    #

Login to Send PM

The body may be (hard to tell without magnifying glass) segmented with light brown strips. The weird thing is it seems to have a tail or protrusion from the rear end. The feet are concentrated towards the front/head. I do not see wings.

Another good description: it's a dermestid beetle larva, probably Attagenus sp.
    Carpet beetles and dermestid beetles are both from beetle family Dermestidae, and they're both really common in domestic environments.

7. CrazyMe

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Jun 3 2009 9:06:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks EffeCi,

Interestingly, they don't look big enough to be the larva I've seen (not at all like small fat caterpillar), but maybe they are newly hatched.

Another interesting connection is that last night I saw a small black bug running around on my ceiling (all lights were on) by my ceiling fan. My heart started pounding because I thought I finally found a bed bug. It crawled too fast for me to catch it with tape and my ceilings are very high. I proceeded to spray it--but it flew/hopped away. I experienced a moment of joy---bed bugs can't fly or hop like that! I sprayed it again and it continued to fly to another part of the ceiling!

I'd describe this little brown/black bug as beetle shaped and a little smaller than 1/8 inch (.3 cm). Carpet beetle?

8. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Jun 3 2009 9:47:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Probably an adult woodworm (Anobiidae)...

9. aphasian

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jun 8 2009 21:37:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi EffeCi and others -

I live in a Manhattan highrise and have been Googling "tiny flying bugs" for a few days now, because there are so many in my apartment and I have been unable to identify them. Perhaps you could help?

they are the bugs in this photo:
    http://www.wavelengthonline.com/bgidentify.htm

And that is from this 2008 thread, the only positive match I could find on the web:
    http://www.e-bug.net/forum/messages/21595.shtml

Any ideas?

10. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jun 9 2009 0:18:15
    #

Login to Send PM

aphasian,
    rescued your post from spam.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  11. Adele

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jun 9 2009 0:48:11
    #

Login to Send PM

It's an entire insect ecosystem in there.....

12. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jun 9 2009 2:00:32
    #

Login to Send PM

They're Cigarette beetles (Lasioderma serricorne)

13. losingit

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jun 9 2009 11:01:18
    #

Login to Send PM

EffiCi- "They're Cigarette beetles". With the cost of cigarettes I could use a few of these:)

(referring your carpet beetle quip from earlier on)

14. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jun 9 2009 11:30:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

If you want to compare some carpet beetle larva pictures there are some here:

http://www.bed-bugs.co.uk/carpetbeetles/

I am about to edit the infor I have on the subject to include a simple trick I picked up the other day, if you suspect carpet beetles take your shoes and socks off. It tends to electrically ground you and will stop the static charge build up that is beleive to be key in this type of problem.

David

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bedbug infestations in domestic and commercial settings. The patent numbers are GB2463953 and GB2470307.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.