Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

Tiniest ever pin-prick red bites. Is it Beds Bugs? Going crazy!

(34 posts)
  1. bugcrazylady

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Nov 18 2009 23:04:39
    #

Login to Send PM

I have searched my apt for bed bugs, and had an exterminator come twice, but still found nothing resembling a bed bug. Yet, I still seem to have some kind of bite. However, they look different from most bed bug bite photos I've seen. I'm trying to figure out what this is before I go crazy!

I don't have a photo right now, but here are the symptoms... it looks like a tiny itty-bity red pin prick. Some are so small, I almost can't see them. And it isn't raised on a bump at all- the skin around the red dot is flat, but I can see that the red dot is actually a little hole, like a bite.

They don't usually come in clusters grouped together. I will find one single one on my thigh and one on my arm, or stomach, or calf. I don't always get them late at night. I can get them while I am sitting on the couch eating dinner. But I do also see to get them when I am under my covers asleep.

But I never find a bed bug! What could be biting me?! I am feeling so crazy, and everyone thinks I am crazy!

Thanks to anyone who responds!

Danielle

2. upagain

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Nov 18 2009 23:38:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Could it be "cherry angioma"? Please do a google image search to see pics.

3. bugcrazylady

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Nov 19 2009 0:17:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for the suggestion. I looked it up, but that does not appear to be what I have. What I have really looks like someone poked me with a pin. just a tiny pin hole or tiny red speck. and then it goes away in a few days. Also the tiny red dots are itchy when they appear.

This is one thing I have been struggling with... at first I thought maybe I had some skin condition, but I'm fairly sure now that they are some sort of bite. I recently went on a business trip, and the whole time I was away, I had no problems.

I know they say bites look different on everyone, so it is very hard to tell, but I will try to post a picture next time anyway...

4. bait

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Nov 19 2009 0:26:58
    #

Login to Send PM

You have described my "bites". However, in ywo years' time I have not seen any evidence of bed bugs, dead or alive.

5. bugcrazylady

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Nov 19 2009 1:34:26
    #

Login to Send PM

bait - 1 hour ago  » 
    You have described my "bites". However, in ywo years' time I have not seen any evidence of bed bugs, dead or alive.

is there any chance you might also have fleas? i found one flea on the cat, and none ever since then, so i think it just came in with me and then jumped on her, but I was hoping I had fleas and not BB...

6. bait

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Nov 19 2009 6:18:56
    #

Login to Send PM

No fleas. Three PCO firms treated my apt. for BBs. Nobody's found anything. I definitely have terrestrial crustaceans, but they are supposed to be "harmless". I fall in the mystery bite category. I self treat with DE and Ortho Home Defense Max. Both help a lot, but neither are the cure. I'm able to function. Now that DE Results is no longer available, I'm concerned my level of control will decline.

7. smalbert

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Aug 17 2010 0:43:02
    #

Login to Send PM

did you ever find out what the bites were from? i am having the EXACT same symptoms - the same tiny red pin-prick bites that show up as single, flat red dots that you described.

my apartment was infested with bed bugs and then i moved back into my parents house while my apartment was being treated. the little pin pricks started showing up then.

i am extremely worried that i brought bed bugs back to my parents house.

do you have any idea what was causing your symptoms?

thanks.

8. Emmm

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Aug 17 2010 7:44:09
    #

Login to Send PM

My boyfriend and I used to find these tiny red pin pricks all the time when we were searching for bug evidence. He never reacted to bug bites, and I did severely, so we wondered if they were part of the deal and to be watched. Since our infestation, I still find these spots, as does he. I'm pretty sure it's something random and skin/stress-related that has nothing to do with bed bugs, but it's easy to see how it's assumed to be related. It's unfortunate how such a small thing can induce such incredible fear.

I would guess it's unrelated from experience.

9. PANewBugger

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Aug 17 2010 8:55:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Mites? We were getting small, tiny bites where you'd see what looked like a pin prick. But we could feel them as they happened - painful! And could happen anywhere - on the couch, in bed, sitting at the dining room table, etc. Turns out husband's office has a rodent problem, and the rodent mites came home with him.

10. scaredsilly

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Aug 17 2010 22:25:16
    #

Login to Send PM

All of my bites are pin-prick types also. I think some people react less severely to the bites (?) However, sometimes I can get 3-4 right next to each other in a row, etc. I hope it is not BB bites that you have, but your description matches mine.

11. bug-tired

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Aug 17 2010 22:34:25
    #

Login to Send PM

I also had the little red pinpricks although they were usually in groups of four or five and usually on my feet or calves and they really didn't itch that much. I thought I had some kind of rash related to my thyroid - but it mysteriously cleared up since I've been getting treated for bed bugs. I would also get bites that swelled up into really itchy welts.

Not sure what the difference in reactions could mean....

12. bbstill

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Aug 18 2010 16:29:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Did you ever find black pepper like flecks in your bed?

13. outlawbugs

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Aug 18 2010 23:52:24
    #

Login to Send PM

I am also trying to decide if I have bed bugs based mostly on tiny pinprick bites that I'm experiencing. Mine are accompanied by a stinging and burning and usually happen around midday. I get an odd, stinging feeling then find one or a little group of teeny, tiny red dots. I've had them on my arms, legs, chest, and neck. The stinging lasts about 15 minutes, and there's little or no puffiness around the pinprick. If bedbugs, I'm assuming the bites are happening at night?! So is this a fairly common manifestation of the bites? I haven't found any other signs but did recently travel and bought a few used items. Since no one else in the house has (or admits to having) any bites, I'm starting to feel like I'm going crazy! Can anyone tell me anymore about other things that might cause this?

14. bedbugginNYC

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Sep 7 2010 11:47:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Did any of you getting those red pin-prick bites ever find out what the source was? I'm thinking they could be some type of mite.

I know they aren't bed bug bites because I get small, red bumps when I'm bit- completely different than when I found a tiny, red pin-prick on my pinky. The pain was intense, and itching unbearable! This has only happened to me once so far.

15. PANewBugger

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Sep 7 2010 12:22:54
    #

Login to Send PM

For us, it was rodent mites. Pin prick like bites that we'd get throughout the day, felt crawling sensations on us, and the bites were painful. If you think it's rodent or bird mites, try to get it identified and find out where the source is b/c you need to get rid of it (the source - bird nest, rodent nest, etc.). For us, because the source was at my husband's office, what worked for us was to leave our place for a bit (while away, we put in a bed bug beacon for the bed bugs we've been dealing with) and the mites died. We went to a dermatologist who informed us that these types of mites cannot survive on human skin alone. However, there is also scabies so need to make sure you don't have that.

16. Mofear

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Sep 7 2010 16:21:12
    #

Login to Send PM

I am getting these too, but some of mine ARE in twos (like a vampire bit me!) Some of mine are tiny slits and some are red pin pricks. We have a Nightwatch that was just set up today, so, hopefully I'll now if it's bb's soon....
    Mofear

17. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Sep 7 2010 17:57:23
    #

Login to Send PM

if all your set of two bite marks (punctures) are equidistant, then you may have spider bites

18. aaghbugs

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Sep 8 2010 0:15:54
    #

Login to Send PM

I had / have tiny pinprick red bites. I caught a live bed bug that was crawling on something so I am pretty sure they are bedbug bites.

19. Jenn28

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Sep 8 2010 12:03:26
    #

Login to Send PM

I too am starting to notice one or two little red dots. Mine look more like a little tiny zit with a little bit of red around it. It's only a couple or a few. They don't itch and I usually notice them in the morning and they fade very quickly. There is no evidence on my sheets or anywhere else in my apartment, only the worry that I feel. As Emmm said it's funny how such a small thing can induce fear in one. I am not going to panic yet as I can't be declaring bb on a few little red marks. My reaction to mosquito bites this year are terrible, so I don't see how I could have bb and not react the same way. All I can do is keep a record of these mystery marks on paper and see what happens. I sure am glad that I'm not the only one scratching my head over this.

20. agh

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Sep 14 2010 14:49:30
    #

Login to Send PM

I also have a couple of these red dots now...in addition to other problems. We have someone coming to inspect tomorrow.

21. Jenn28

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Sep 29 2010 0:36:55
    #

Login to Send PM

I am still getting one or two mystery red marks on my skin these days. No sign of bb but just found a carpet beetle and I had them before! Bastards, they are back! Not sure if this is the source, but I'll welcome them to live with me any day over bb!!! Party at Jenn's place!!!

22. kannon_bosatsu

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Sep 29 2010 0:41:53
    #

Login to Send PM

I got a bunch of pinprick bites but then we discovered we had fleas in addition to bedbugs. Since the PCo has sprayed, the fleas have died away and no more bites of any kind. Granted it's been two treatments so I will update in a month or so if things change.

23. Slides

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Sep 29 2010 18:10:04
    #

Login to Send PM

I have the EXACT same thing. Tiny red pink prick bites and crawling sensation on legs and arms. PCO is coming tomorrow to check for bed bugs.

24. SearchandDestroy

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Sep 29 2010 18:44:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Jenn - what do you do for your carpet beetles? Do those "bites" itch too? I found CBs and wonder why they are still alive...

25. bbpsych

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Dec 13 2010 22:24:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Any updates from anyone reporting these pinprick-type bites? I'm getting them too . . . I had an infestation at my old place, got my belongings treated with Vikane gas when I moved about a month ago, had a canine check out my new place and belongings, and everything checked out, but . . . I've been getting these pinprick things for the last couple of weeks and (of course) am freaking out about the possibility of a reinfestation. Thoughts?

26. TAB

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Nov 16 2011 22:10:12
    #

Login to Send PM

I have them too. Not sure what's causing it. I wash my sheets every 2-3 days that seems to help. I also get as much light as possible into my apartment. I also found that using tea tree oil helps. I put a couple drops in a bottle with water and mist everything. I find not putting clothes in my closet helps. It can spot lighten clothes an sheets. Not ideal but useful. Uuugh.

I think it'd be easier to get rid of these things if I didn't have carpet.

I also tear my bed down every week an spray the floor beneath, both sides of the box spring, and mattress with the bed bug cover on it. Seems to help but whatever is there is manageable. Situation is still not ideal. I did find two dead bugs. Will have them analyzed to figure out what they are..

27. scaredpea

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Nov 16 2011 23:48:06
    #

Login to Send PM

we get them too. on my kids especially, and I've noticed them on other kids at my son's daycare, but they're also on my daughter who doesn't go to daycare.

I have no idea what's going on, but they look like tiny pin prick puncture wounds, generally single but sometimes in 2's and 3's and sometimes they have an initial scratch line that appears but disappears within a day and the clear puncture point(s) stays for a few days after.

I have no explanation, we've had 2 K9 inspections that came up negative, and a PCO negative as well. I've seen some random blood spots but no clear bb evidence and i've searched as conclusively as possible. I can't imagine it's fleas but I may re-consider that possibility based on LA Woman's recent post. i don't think it's a personal skin conditions since it started on my son and within 2 days of moving his baby sister into his room to sleep they started showing up on her.
    neither of my kids itch at them. They do tent to appear after naps or bedtime, and there's nothing in their beds or on their bodies (i.e. their nails are trimmed) that could explain it

I'm at a loss, I'd love for someone to explain them.

perhaps we should all post photos of our marks to make sure we're on the same page here. i know these things can be different from person to person but it may be helpful.

here's a bit of a fuzzy example of a row of 2 of these bites I've seen on my son. they're on the back of his ankle

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r209/jennypea76/P1010480.jpg

that being said, this is a bigger example. sometimes they show up and the teeny tiniest pinprice bites, often in 2's

28. confusedaboutthis

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Nov 17 2011 1:42:48
    #

Login to Send PM

No expert, but that picture looks like simple skin irritation.. perhaps along the sock line.

In my experience the punctures were only visible after scratching (vigorously). Prior to that only pinkish/red mosquito bite looking bumps were visible.

29. scaredpea

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Nov 17 2011 9:56:27
    #

Login to Send PM

yah, that's not the best photo. generally the pin prick marks appear on their faces and hands so it's not from clothing

30. Letsbeatit

Posted 1 year ago
    Sun Sep 2 2012 22:43:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Yup, I just experienced the same thing: tiny pin prick red dots - that don't itch! I am at my cottage and have been fighting bed bugs at my home residence for one year, now. Every three weeks we have been chemical treated and I finally had to move out in February to my own apartment (doctor's recommendation). It's a pretty complicated story but in a nutshell my next door neighbour that lives in the adjoining townhouse unit neglected to do anything about the bb prob until it was way out of control. Well, we finally all had a heat treatment last month and many of our belongings were treated in a trailor truck with a strong gas (momentarily forget the name). But .... after a couple of pretty peaceful weeks at the cottage I noticed two tiny red dots and a little bump (like a mosquito bite) behind my left ear, after my mid-day shower. The bump has gone down a little but is still there. They are in a row, not that that necessarily means anything. Just fyi, I have had to go on antidepressants (for anxiety) because of this ongoing issue. I am hoping it is over and maybe I am looking too hard but I would REALLY appreciate hearing from the experts about what these little red dots that suddenly appear, might be. And if you state here that you are suffering from the same thing, PLEASE COME BACK and tell us how you resolved it, if you did! Thanks so much!

31. Letsbeatit

Posted 1 year ago
    Sun Sep 2 2012 23:28:05
    #

Login to Send PM

I just found this on the Bedbugger.com site (stated by Newtactics in 2011): I just wanted to add that sometimes marks can be left on the skin that look like tiny pin pricks, and whilst it can be tempting to panic and think they are fresh (they are after all a breaking of the skin) an expert has previously stated in the forums that these are from old bites. I'm sorry I can't remember who said that or find the post.

32. lucibug

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed Oct 17 2012 11:27:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Letsbeatit - 1 month ago  » 
    Yup, I just experienced the same thing: tiny pin prick red dots - that don't itch! I am at my cottage and have been fighting bed bugs at my home residence for one year, now. Every three weeks we have been chemical treated and I finally had to move out in February to my own apartment (doctor's recommendation). It's a pretty complicated story but in a nutshell my next door neighbour that lives in the adjoining townhouse unit neglected to do anything about the bb prob until it was way out of control. Well, we finally all had a heat treatment last month and many of our belongings were treated in a trailor truck with a strong gas (momentarily forget the name). But .... after a couple of pretty peaceful weeks at the cottage I noticed two tiny red dots and a little bump (like a mosquito bite) behind my left ear, after my mid-day shower. The bump has gone down a little but is still there. They are in a row, not that that necessarily means anything. Just fyi, I have had to go on antidepressants (for anxiety) because of this ongoing issue. I am hoping it is over and maybe I am looking too hard but I would REALLY appreciate hearing from the experts about what these little red dots that suddenly appear, might be. And if you state here that you are suffering from the same thing, PLEASE COME BACK and tell us how you resolved it, if you did! Thanks so much!

This is also our biggest conundrum since we got our pest treatment. In the beginning, I was getting pin prick red marks that would be temporarily itchy, but nothing like the welts from actual bites before. This still pops up occasionally, only to go away within 24 hours usually. I do not believe we had a serious infestation, but boy does it really mess with your mind. We started to put things back in the recent weeks because I can't handle living out of a bag anymore.

Is it possible that your skin is reacting to chemicals used? Are the marks itchy and do they have puncture hole in the middle? Just some thoughts about possibilities....I hope someone can respond too!

33. Letsbeatit

Posted 1 year ago
    Sun Oct 28 2012 21:56:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Lucibug, I think it might be from the chemicals. But who knows for sure? I've also thought that maybe as we keep fighting it, they slowly decline in virility i.e., they just get sicker and sicker until they finally all just up and die ... I remember reading about that somewhere. Getting rid of them isn't just a black and white issue. Maybe they hang on a bit until they are finally all gone? So perhaps we should celebrate the fact that we aren't getting the welts any more, but just the little ones, whatever they may be. But keep being vigilant and persistant. Never just assume they're gone just because you don't see them any more. That is what will eventually beat it.

34. Letsbeatit

Posted 1 year ago
    Sun Oct 28 2012 22:26:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Yeah, it really does mess with your mind. You have to try to be more like a scientist than feeling like a victim. And remember that there are SO MANY possible causes of this. Chances are it might not be bb's at all - but then again, it just might.... Considering the other possible causes helps. I once wrote up a long list of all the possible causes and reminding myself of this really helped me to remain calm and just deal with each situation as objectively as possible. The bottom line is time will tell. Keeping passive monitors under your bed, checking regularly as well as the sheets, for the tell tale signs and of course actually seeing them .... after months and months pass and it's not getting worse, you can (as I have done) begin to conclude that it probably isn't bb's...

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

192,825 posts in 29,736 topics over 91 months by 12,859 of 20,149 members. Latest: DarthUnit, redfruit, JEPA