Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug pest control firms (PCOs), Bed bug k9s, etc.

Throw out all furniture?

(5 posts)
  1. buggardnyc

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Feb 27 2009 23:30:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Do I really have to throw away ALL my furniture? My PCO says no?

2. itchyandtired

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Feb 28 2009 10:40:47
    #

Login to Send PM

I did. That's what my PCO told me to do. The only piece of furniture I kept was my daughters crib. So we are now sleeping on an air mattress.

3. bitten123

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Feb 28 2009 13:16:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Um, how bad is your infestation? I would follow your PCO's advice as closely as possible. As far as throwing out furniture, I did not throw out hardly any furniture (I did get rid of the wood headboard because it had to many nooks and crannies, and PCO said I could keep but it creeped me out). I did worry about my sofa's, but in the end, kept them and no bites in over 3months here. I can not tell you what to do, but I know that many many people here do not throw out all their furniture. Certainly they do throw out heavily infested pieces which is wise, but just throwing everything out...well most don't do that unless they have been battling a long time and are moving and starting over. I would find you a good PCO and if you are worried about a certain piece of furniture, you could consider having a bed bug dog come through. Given how expensive furniture is, you might consider even having thermal treatment done. Get more advice before you throw things out ...

4. buggardnyc

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Mar 1 2009 21:08:20
    #

Login to Send PM

thanks for the advice, I threw out the bed and headboard, maybe just for peace of mind. My pco says the living room furniture is ok?? I think so too. Will ask him about thermal and the dog. I am not sure if you are allowed to do thermal in an apt.- sounds like a fire risk?

5. jeffklein

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Mar 5 2009 17:52:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Thermal is not a fire risk. We dont go above 140 degrees and all aerosols and other flammables or meltables are moved(after wipedown). Most furniture is fine to keep, wood and metal can be steamed and or chemically treated but infested stuffed furniture may have to go unless its fumigated or thermally treated. Do you really want to hang out on a couch that has been soaked in pesticides?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

200,049 posts in 31,009 topics over 94 months by 13,441 of 20,848 members. Latest: Mellisa, midnightfeast, senses123