Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Thoughts on a homemade contact killer

(34 posts)
  1. RaccoonEyes

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jan 3 2014 3:26:17
    #

Login to Send PM

So at first I was spraying my floors, baseboards, and in my cupboards. Then I figured that was probably a bad idea because if one of my smoker neighbors passes out and the fire catches my suite will be obliterated pretty quick.
    Plus it smells really bad and it's bad enough coming home to treatment smells. Opening the door to chemical/alcohol smell for a month is getting really tiresome.
    I was told that Dish detergent also works as a contact killer. So I put a bit of water with my rubbing alcohol and a whole bunch of Dawn. I shook it around and now it looks like cloudy Windex.

I've been spraying that around and hopefully that's killing at least something.

It does smell much better though.

My point of making this thread: Would the detergent and alcohol mixed together do nothing to the bugs? >_>

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jan 3 2014 7:51:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The point of a contact killer is to use it to spray directly at a known bedbug.

If you are looking for something to spray around in a blanket fashion you want something with residual activity.

Personally I have always thought it better to immobilise any samples you see with sticky tape rather than spraying, its immediately effective and 100% effective.

You also don't need to combine washing liquid with alcohol either of them will work effectively on their own. Washing liquid is obviously less flammable and more cost effective.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  3. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jan 3 2014 9:51:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, RE.

What David said. Alcohol has its uses (like, where you don't want a gummy residue), but is flammable as you noted and will also discolor or dissolve some surfaces. Some of the "green" (and pricey) BB sprays on the market have sodium lauryl (or laureth) sulfate as their main ingredient (and usually some array of "essential" oils). SLS is a detergent (you'll often find it listed on your shampoo and dishwash bottle). "Murphy's" soap has been widely discussed as good against BB and is gentle on wood floors. If you are dealing with cracks and seams, a vacuum can be useful, too, before the washwith appropriate precautions (dump the bag, hot-wash the cup or use the "Mark Shepherdigian Knee-high Trick").

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  4. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jan 3 2014 10:10:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Gentlemen (DC and cilecto) . . . something I've been wondering about for a while now . . .

if dishwashing liquid/detergent (Dawn, etc.) can be used as a contact killer and it's diluted with water (I can't recall the exact suggested ratio right now) . . .

then why wouldn't laundry liquid detergent be just as good as a contact killer? And what I mean is in the washer . . . everything I have read says to wash in the hottest water possbile because it's the temperature that kills. But if there are bed bugs hidden in your clothes wouldn't the laundry detergent work in the wash as a contact killer either in cold or hot water? Or is the laundry detergent diluted too much to work in the wash as a killer? Or would the laundry detergent kill any bed bugs in the wash but one would have to worry about any potential eggs? . . .

Inquiring minds . . . .

5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jan 3 2014 10:21:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

You would have to use so much of it in the washing machine that it would look like a foam party in your home.

There is also a significant difference between laundry machine detergents and washing up detergents along the lines of its advantageous for one to foam up while the other it is not (unless you are going for the foam party look).

There is also the risk that the items int he washing machine do not always get as thoroughly soaked as you would hope which is why you go for the safest option which is to "cook em".

Hope that explains.

David

6. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jan 3 2014 10:34:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks DC! Although that was not quite the answer I was hoping for . . .

There are just "some" things I can't wash on hot, so I wash on cold in the gentle cycle . . . hang them to dry . . . and THEN run them through the dryer . . .

so I was hoping that it was possible that if there were anything on them it would be killed in the wash . . . since they have to be air dryed first before being put in the dryer!

7. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jan 3 2014 11:04:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Yes hope and reality are often further apart than you want.

The reality of this one is delicates are a risk on high heat when dry or PackTite process. The only other option I now that is rapid is a $2,000 investment (and a huge electric bill).

There may be others but in general they are also out of budget unless you sell up and convince Insect Inferno to make you a special custom passion wagon.

David

8. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jan 3 2014 12:12:09
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 1 hour ago  » 
    Hi,
    Yes hope and reality are often further apart than you want.
    The reality of this one is delicates are a risk on high heat when dry or PackTite process. The only other option I now that is rapid is a $2,000 investment (and a huge electric bill).
    There may be others but in general they are also out of budget unless you sell up and convince Insect Inferno to make you a special custom passion wagon.
    David

A custom passion wagon? Insect Inferno folks will do that. Hot darn! I'm jumping in the car now...it's only a 10 hour trip. I'll call and place my order on the way up.

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  9. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jan 3 2014 12:20:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi TAOT,

I am sure Corrie would at least consider it although I don't think they are plans for full scale production.

On my visit where I tested it the temperatures were on the low side and I was certainly grateful for being able to step into somewhere warmer then a Minneapolis car park in January.

David

10. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jan 3 2014 12:23:58
    #

Login to Send PM

I never thought of that...it could be a passion wagon for outdoor camping. Northern Minnesota was hitting - 44 degrees BEFORE wind chill this week, so that means at full tilt heat...it could be clocking in at 40 degrees

So, you frequent Minneapolis car parks? I never knew! I could have been saving thousands of dollars of travel expenses over all of these years.

11. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jan 3 2014 12:28:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Laundry heat is important for killing eggs, which the detergent alone is unlikely to affect.

12. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jan 3 2014 12:33:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Back on topic. That's a good point, Cilecto.

At one point, I bought this special detergent...called 911 or something, and it claimed to kill them. The consensus was that it had the ingredient Cilecto referred to earlier, but that might not be 100% effective in cold.

I actually learned something from this thread. I always wondered why if dishwashing detergent was a contact killer, why wouldn't laundry detergent.

13. RaccoonEyes

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jan 3 2014 13:44:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for your feedback guys! And David the thing is I haven't been able to actually -find- anymore samples. I have my mattress cases double lapped and there are brown spots that looks like they could be fecal traces so I started circling them with blue pen. They had steamed my carpet one day (I don't think they shampooed...) though and I had put my mattress down on it because it was taking forever to dry and I wanted sleep.
    I cannot tell if the spots are from inside the case or outside. Whatever new spots appear I will be circling them.

Since they were living in the carpets and baseboards I use my spray mixture after I vacuum to kill anything I may have missed with the vacuum.

@Everyone Laundry detergent is also more expensive anyway.. if people are spending 20 bucks on a bottle of Tide to use as a contact killer even that could start getting a bit pricey. I already spend quite a bit on just doing laundry. (I don't personally use Tide for my clothes unless I find a small bottle of it for 5 bucks... but it is a default brand that's in a lot of homes.)

14. RaccoonEyes

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jan 3 2014 13:49:15
    #

Login to Send PM

theyareoutthere - 1 hour ago  » 
    At one point, I bought this special detergent...called 911 or something, and it claimed to kill them. The consensus was that it had the ingredient Cilecto referred to earlier, but that might not be 100% effective in cold.
    I actually learned something from this thread. I always wondered why if dishwashing detergent was a contact killer, why wouldn't laundry detergent.

One thing I can think of is the chemical content... Dish soap is harsher because it has to remove grease and sanitize the dishes without the use of a machine (in most cases). Depending on the brand they can even start corroding your nails if you don't wear gloves (LOL from experience since I was faster without taking the gloves on and off). Laundry soap is strong but has to be safe enough to not discolor/wear down clothes, and be safe for children's skin. Plus the machine does most of the work.

15. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jan 3 2014 14:22:24
    #

Login to Send PM

RaccoonEyes - 36 minutes ago  » 
    @Everyone Laundry detergent is also more expensive anyway.. if people are spending 20 bucks on a bottle of Tide to use as a contact killer even that could start getting a bit pricey. I already spend quite a bit on just doing laundry. (I don't personally use Tide for my clothes unless I find a small bottle of it for 5 bucks... but it is a default brand that's in a lot of homes.)

Hi RE,

I wasn't meaning to use laundry detergent as a contract killer. I was just meaning/asking if liquid detergent can be used as a contact killer why wouldn't laundry detergent kill "in" the washer, either with cold or hot water . . . So we wouldn't have to fry delicates!

16. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jan 3 2014 14:24:54
    #

Login to Send PM

It's MRE to you, Abs (Miss Raccoon Eyes)...

Really, how can you be so disrespectful to a newbite, grrllllllllllllllfriend?

17. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jan 3 2014 14:37:46
    #

Login to Send PM

theyareoutthere - 12 minutes ago  » 
    It's MRE to you, Abs (Miss Raccoon Eyes)...

LOL! My bad! Please forgive me MRE!

18. RaccoonEyes

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jan 3 2014 14:43:15
    #

Login to Send PM

AbsolutelyFreaking - 18 minutes ago  » 

RaccoonEyes - 36 minutes ago  » 

Hi RE,
    I wasn't meaning to use laundry detergent as a contract killer. I was just meaning/asking if liquid detergent can be used as a contact killer why wouldn't laundry detergent kill "in" the washer, either with cold or hot water . . . So we wouldn't have to fry delicates!

For sure I was just speaking in general for the lurky lurk readers. What brand do you use that your clothes are frying? ;w ;

19. RaccoonEyes

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jan 3 2014 14:44:08
    #

Login to Send PM

and lmao all is forgiven for now..

20. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jan 3 2014 14:48:25
    #

Login to Send PM

I use this. I can sometimes find it in the stores for less. I was told to use 1/2 of the amount stated by my repair guy. I will throw in a cup of vinegar for smelly items (like Abs' socks for example)

http://www.amazon.com/Earth-Friendly-Products-Detergent-Lemongrass/dp/B004OUUZZC/ref=pd_sim_hpc_6

21. RaccoonEyes

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jan 3 2014 14:55:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Ahh okay. I've never used that before. I use Gain then put it on the hottest setting. I don't really own any clothes where the colors run so I just do it by weight. "Tshirts with underwear... jeans with hoodies.. aw ye"
    Even when I dry them on the highest setting though they don't get fried so that's weird. My washer's an old school one though that uses mass amounts of water vs at my mom's house where it's the "eco friendly" one. My clothes got starchy with that one.

22. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jan 3 2014 15:18:24
    #

Login to Send PM

RaccoonEyes - 21 minutes ago  » 
    For sure I was just speaking in general for the lurky lurk readers. What brand do you use that your clothes are frying? ;w ;

I use Tide . . . I can't stand the smell of anything else . . . and I'm very very picky about my laundry . . . I do "every" color group completely separate . . . although sometimes I get bold and do red and black together!!

When I meant "fry" I just meant there are certain items I don't/won't wash on hot . . . bras (I have several expensive ones - for when I want the girls to look extra special (LOL!)), sweaters and work blouses. And I don't put them in the dryer wet, it will shrink the sweaters and shirts and I feel ruin the bras! So I was wanting peace of mind that something would kill them in the wash on cold! No such luck.

What I'm doing now is . . . I come home from work, take everything off and throw it in the dryer (not underwear/bras). . . I know MS. TAOT says not to do this because it might set any stains/dirt in . . . don't care . . . I'll just pour Tide right on any stains (haven't had any yet though).

But I still don't put my bras in the dryer . . . so I just wash them in cold water, hang them to dry and then SOMETIMES then I put them in the dryer. The sweater and shirts I wash in cold, hang to dry and then put in dryer . . . but I feel ok doing that because I've already ran them through the dryer once previously before throwing them in the laundry. (So I guess if I ever bring a bed bug home and it's in/on my bra . . . I'm screwed!)

(P.S., I use vinegar also on certain loads!)

Now . . . is this everything we ever wanted to know about laundry . . . or WHAT?!

23. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jan 3 2014 15:21:20
    #

Login to Send PM

I am very particular about my laundry.

I have someone come around on a particular day each week and when I get home its all neatly folded and ready for me.

Nothing like starting the weekend with a clean and tidy home to enjoy.

David

24. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jan 3 2014 15:31:08
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 9 minutes ago  » 
    I am very particular about my laundry.
    I have someone come around on a particular day each week and when I get home its all neatly folded and ready for me.
    Nothing like starting the weekend with a clean and tidy home to enjoy.
    David

Apparently, Master Cain, it is good to be you!!!

But does she iron everything?! I iron everything!!!!!

25. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jan 3 2014 15:43:54
    #

Login to Send PM

theyareoutthere - 3 hours ago  » 

BB911's MSDS indicates SLS as the main active. The site does not claim it kills eggs at this time, though it might have in the past.

26. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jan 3 2014 15:47:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, Cilecto.

27. ITortureBugs4Revenge

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jan 3 2014 21:24:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Lysol lemon scented kitchen cleaner spray worked as a contact killer for me and it has a pleasant scent as well (It kills roaches too) but unless it is prayed heavily on the target it won't kill it instantly, but a light spray will kill the insect slowly over time. Don't use Lysol fabric spray however, as although it has a very pleasant scent i have never seen it kill anything i sprayed it on.

.....I am NOT an expert.....

Any advice i give here is based solely on my own personal experiences in dealing with bedbugs & other household vermin.
  28. RaccoonEyes

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Jan 4 2014 12:24:50
    #

Login to Send PM

I always love and hate doing laundry. I enjoy it when no one else is down there to judge me but when someone decides they wanna chat with me they're like "....That's a lot of clothes.." and of course it'll be a day I had flipped because I found a hole in one of the garbage bags. And I tell them I'm too poor right now for a good dresser at the moment so it's easier for me to just stuff them in garbage bags.

So far that works xD

I don't like the smell of Tide Actilift... I don't mind the febreeze ones <3 But I do like the smell of Gain and Downy fabric softener together.

29. RaccoonEyes

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Jan 4 2014 12:25:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh and I can't buy a Packtite here in Canada unless someone smuggles it over the boarder for me.

30. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Jan 4 2014 12:39:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The PackTite Closet is available in Canada so no need to smuggle unless there are additional shipping options from Colorado since the 1st Jan this year.

Come to think of it I have not seen Mr James online for 2014 yet and there may be the answer.

David

31. RaccoonEyes

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Jan 4 2014 13:03:40
    #

Login to Send PM

The pack-tite closet costs the same amount as my rent-if not a bit more so that's definitely something I'll be putting money aside for.

; w; Maybe he's on a sleigh coming to bring me one. (I'm joking but that would be neat.)
    There have been a lot of bad snowfalls lately around North America- Ontario's power was out for like, a month. Hopefully he's safe.

32. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Jan 4 2014 13:07:55
    #

Login to Send PM

He's safe, we spoke the other day.

David

Added because I know some of you worry.

33. RaccoonEyes

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Jan 4 2014 13:23:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Lol That's good to hear. I get worried about my boyfriend sometimes while he's in New York. He always sends me pictures of all the snow... so I reply with pictures of our sunny days because I'm a jerk.

Does Lysol spray contact kill bedbugs? I bought some to try to help kill the gross nicotine smell in my suite. It killing stuff would be a bonus.

34. RaccoonEyes

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Mar 10 2014 12:18:20
    #

Login to Send PM

ITortureBugs4Revenge - 2 months ago  » 
    Lysol lemon scented kitchen cleaner spray worked as a contact killer for me and it has a pleasant scent as well (It kills roaches too) but unless it is prayed heavily on the target it won't kill it instantly, but a light spray will kill the insect slowly over time. Don't use Lysol fabric spray however, as although it has a very pleasant scent i have never seen it kill anything i sprayed it on.

Ah I missed this post. Thanks I was wondering that. It's designed to be lung safe for kids and pets so I imagine they wouldn't work on killing a bug.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

272,370 posts in 44,500 topics over 135 months by 19,513 of 20,193 members. Latest: friendlyroommate, Unlucky, Elfinserious